UKRay

Old leatherworking machines - Show and tell

As an old leatherwork machinery enthusiast, I would be very keen to see machines other people use. Living and working in the UK means I rarely get to see any of the amazing machines made in the US, South Africa or Australia/NZ - and I certainly haven't seen all the machines that have been made in the UK; even if a good few are to be found in my workroom!

If you have an old machine (or two) perhaps you could post a new topic in this section that includes a description of how (and how well) it works plus a few pictures so we can all share in the experience. This might then help to show newcomers what machinery may be available to them.

Remembering that many of the smaller leatherwork machines can be picked up at junk stores or on ebay for very little money it would also be useful to get some idea of each machine's current value as a sort of buyer's guide.

To save duplication of very popular machines, It might be best if we don't post if somebody else has got there first - unless we have something different to 'show and tell'.

How does the forum feel about this idea? Anyone want to start the ball rolling?

Edited by UKRay

UKRay, old machinery an tools. This is a great topic to start.

This ole stitcher is a Landis 16, it added to the shop late last year. It's been such a nice addition, we decided to add another one like it while in Sheridan last May.

Around here, if we had more room for machinery. The place would be full. What can I say, I love the way these machines sew, built like a tank. Just as heavy..... :( But it pulls the tightest stitch, hard to beat.

S8000844.JPG

post-5571-1215799745_thumb.jpg

UKRay, old machinery an tools. This is a great topic to start.

This ole stitcher is a Landis 16, it added to the shop late last year. It's been such a nice addition, we decided to add another one like it while in Sheridan last May.

Around here, if we had more room for machinery. The place would be full. What can I say, I love the way these machines sew, built like a tank. Just as heavy..... :( But it pulls the tightest stitch, hard to beat.

That really is a big brute Bob, I'm suitably impressed! - what do you actually use it for - got any examples of the stitching? I believe Landis made all kinds of leather working machinery - Does anyone know what else they made? Anyone got any pictures? I think Luke has a nice looking Landis 5"N"1 leather cutter somewhere... Maybe he can post a picture of that?

I know you are also interested in old Pearson machines from the UK and actually worked with them for a while - what makes them good to use and why would anyone want one? Those old Pearsons (and one or two of the other old machines) make quite a lot of money nowadays - more than you might think an old machine is worth. Why do you think this might be? Nostalgia or do they actually do the job better?

Edited by UKRay

No_2.jpg

Hi UkRay

Some time ago we purchased this Pearson for our working Museum. At the time we were looking for a No 6 but they rarely come up for sale and we were quite excited when we saw this one on TradeMe. It duely arrived and it was then we realised it was a bit different than a No 6 and is actually a No 2. However it sewed beautifully and that was all we wanted, albeit in only one stitch length. I contacted the previous owner for some history on the machine which we could display with it. This led to a trail of amazing facts and history of this machine's life.

This machine was shipped from England to the Wisp Run near Owaka in the Catlins River area, South Otago, South Island. Bought by James Brugh in 1857 "The Wisp" was developed into a sheep and cattle station of 38,000 acres. Riding and draught horses were used for all work on the station and this sewing machine handled repairs to the harness', saddles, wool bales , probably the shearers moleskins too. Being 40km horse ride from the nearest town through hilly bush country the station had to be totally self sufficient. The Pearson would have been hauled by Bullock team to the farm and was put to work in the woolshed. Some forty years later a bushfire swept through the area and the woolshed was burnt to the ground. This probably explains why the stand is warped in some places and has no paint left on it, there are traces of soot in the joins. Possibly the complete head, or parts of it have been replaced as a consequence of the fire. The number on the head is #5937. When Wisp went out of draught horse power the machine was sold to a local farmer who used it to repair haystack covers. The machine was then sold to a Western saddle maker from whom we bought it.

The long 18" arm was a special order for customers. Generally used by gig builders for sewing splashboards or by trunk makers. The machine sews up to 400 stitches per minute and can handle up to ¾ inch thick leather.

Head and stand weigh 244 lbs and when new cost ₤20 (a stockman working on Wisp in 1860 received ₤60 a year).

post-5220-1219992486_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJ1935

Pearson_HM6.JPGPearson_HM6.JPGUKRay:

Since no one else has stepped forward to show you a machine that was made

right in your back yard, I will put this one up. A Pearson 6 HM, by British United

Shoe Machine.

I have owned and used it since about 1960. Was fortunate enough to get all needed

replacement parts while Samco-Strong was still manufacturing and stocking parts.

It sews as good as it looks, on a variety of leathers from 2-3 ounce to 1/2 inch.

Grumpy1

post-5286-1221975729_thumb.jpg

Pearson_HM6.JPGPearson_HM6.JPGUKRay:

Since no one else has stepped forward to show you a machine that was made

right in your back yard, I will put this one up. A Pearson 6 HM, by British United

Shoe Machine.

I have owned and used it since about 1960. Was fortunate enough to get all needed

replacement parts while Samco-Strong was still manufacturing and stocking parts.

It sews as good as it looks, on a variety of leathers from 2-3 ounce to 1/2 inch.

Grumpy1

Hi Grumpy. I've never seen a Pearson in as good a condition as yours, it's really great! I've had 8 of them over the years and they are a great machine and do a good job. The only problem was that you couldn't get fine needles to do fine work. A friend of mine has one that has an electric motor and it looks as old as the machine itself. There was also one for sale on ebay a couple of months ago, in South Australia and was gear driven. I've never seen one like that anywhere before either. If I can find a photo of it I'll post it on here!

Tony.

As an old leatherwork machinery enthusiast, I would be very keen to see machines other people use. Living and working in the UK means I rarely get to see any of the amazing machines made in the US, South Africa or Australia/NZ - and I certainly haven't seen all the machines that have been made in the UK; even if a good few are to be found in my workroom!

If you have an old machine (or two) perhaps you could post a new topic in this section that includes a description of how (and how well) it works plus a few pictures so we can all share in the experience. This might then help to show newcomers what machinery may be available to them.

Remembering that many of the smaller leatherwork machines can be picked up at junk stores or on ebay for very little money it would also be useful to get some idea of each machine's current value as a sort of buyer's guide.

To save duplication of very popular machines, It might be best if we don't post if somebody else has got there first - unless we have something different to 'show and tell'.

How does the forum feel about this idea? Anyone want to start the ball rolling?

Hi Ray and all,

Here are is a closer look at some of the leather machines we have in our workshop.

The first is a thermal folding machine, manufactured by BUSM in 1977. This will fold and glue the edges of pre-skived leather. It uses a hot-melt glue, held in a heated reservoir, at the top.

The second is an 'Epoch' automatic, powered eyelet setting machine. Designed for shoes, of course, but great for belts etc.

The third is a auto belt and strap hole punching machine, made by Merkle about 1970.

Four and five are strap cutters, one by BUSM the other a copy made by B&J Wright.

Six is an 'Express' leather cutting machine, made by E.J. Murphy. This has a round blade, like a 'bacon slicer' and can be used to cut large hides into more manageable pieces (I guess, I've never actually used it!).

Steve

folder.jpg epoch_2.jpg merkle_punch_2.jpg bu_strapcutter_2.jpg

bj_wright_strapcutter.jpg murphy_cutter.jpg

post-7482-1228581038_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1228581074_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1228581162_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1228581185_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1228581230_thumb.jpg

post-7482-1228581288_thumb.jpg

Thanks for showing the picture of your Pearson, Grumpy. Its great to see the pictures of those grand old machines looking so well kept and cared for - I wonder how many have actually survived?

Some of your machines are monsters, Steve. That epoch eyelet setter must weigh nearly a half a ton! My workroom is upstairs in my house and it nearly kills me getting any kind of machine up there - I wouldn't even try with some of yours! Amazing.

I am a machine enthusiast and although I wouldn't be without them, I do have a few machines that don't get as much use as I expected when I bought them - mainly because they all take time to set up and it is sometimes quicker to do a job by hand.

How much use do your machines actually get?

Thanks for showing the picture of your Pearson, Grumpy. Its great to see the pictures of those grand old machines looking so well kept and cared for - I wonder how many have actually survived?

Some of your machines are monsters, Steve. That epoch eyelet setter must weigh nearly a half a ton! My workroom is upstairs in my house and it nearly kills me getting any kind of machine up there - I wouldn't even try with some of yours! Amazing.

I am a machine enthusiast and although I wouldn't be without them, I do have a few machines that don't get as much use as I expected when I bought them - mainly because they all take time to set up and it is sometimes quicker to do a job by hand.

How much use do your machines actually get?

Hi Ray,

As with your machines, some are used a lot more than others.

The Strap cutters are used several times a week, so get a lot of use, as does the auto hole punching machine. The 'Epoch' eyelet machine is used not so often, perhaps once every month or two.

I must admit that, so far, I have not used the Thermal folder yet, it was partly 3-phase, so I have converted it to single phase to make things easier. I have a number of projects in mind with which to use it, but, at the moment, I don't have the time to spare to work on them, as our general leather work doesn't need it; hopefully in the new year I will get to it.

As I said earlier, I have never used the 'Murphy' cutter. It is called a 'Murphy Lightning Leather Cutter' but, so far, I have not found a use for it. Any suggestions?

We have several more machines of which I will post photos, when I get some time to spare.

Steve

Here's three old machines I use regularly.

The first is a leather cutting/skiving machine. It says "AMERICAN" and "ST. LOUIS" on it, but other than that, I don't know much about this machine. I don't use it a lot for cutting leather because it leaves a cut with ridges on it, but I love using it for skiving. One crank of the handle, and the leather is perfectly skived to a feather edge.

The next picture is my Singer 29K60 sewing machine. It was built in Scotland in 1946. I use it for quick sewing of simple lightweight leather projects. I don't use it as often as I might, because I enjoy handsewing.

The third picture is what used to be a hand-cranked grinding machine. I bought it at a second-hand shop for $15.00. I took the grinding stone off and replaced it with 6 inch diameter leather discs which I cut out from scraps of saddle skirting and rivetted together. I applied jeweler's rouge to the disc and it works perfectly for honing knives and other cutters.

My_Leathershop_006.jpgMy_Leathershop_008.jpgMy_Leathershop_009.jpg

post-8035-1235155544_thumb.jpg

post-8035-1235155747_thumb.jpg

post-8035-1235155922_thumb.jpg

Here is my old Jones Stitcher. At present it is mounted on a boot patcher stand. It stitches super nice when you threaten it with being turned into a boat anchor.

Barra

jones.JPG

post-1669-1235161149_thumb.jpg

Here's three old machines I use regularly.

The first is a leather cutting/skiving machine. It says "AMERICAN" and "ST. LOUIS" on it, but other than that, I don't know much about this machine. I don't use it a lot for cutting leather because it leaves a cut with ridges on it, but I love using it for skiving. One crank of the handle, and the leather is perfectly skived to a feather edge.

The next picture is my Singer 29K60 sewing machine. It was built in Scotland in 1946. I use it for quick sewing of simple lightweight leather projects. I don't use it as often as I might, because I enjoy handsewing.

The third picture is what used to be a hand-cranked grinding machine. I bought it at a second-hand shop for $15.00. I took the grinding stone off and replaced it with 6 inch diameter leather discs which I cut out from scraps of saddle skirting and rivetted together. I applied jeweler's rouge to the disc and it works perfectly for honing knives and other cutters.

My_Leathershop_006.jpgMy_Leathershop_008.jpgMy_Leathershop_009.jpg

Your leather cutting/skiving machine is very similar to a machine that my Grandfather once used to cut his 'bends' up into strips for making leather shoe soles, it didn't have the built in skiving attachment, we had a seperate machine to do this, I remember it as a young lad, but I don't know what became of it in the end. It is, I believe, primarily a machine that would have been used in shoe making and repairing.

Your 29K60 'patcher' is in really nice condition, this is the long arm version of a very useful machine. The only reason that I don't use ours much is because the Universal Feed Arm tends to mark the top of the leather.

Steve

The first photo is of my Landis 3 which I have a love/hate relationship with. She has a mind of her own and protests once and a while (not unlike my wife). When everything is running smoothly the stitching is absolutely beautiful and makes putting up with the odd tantrum worth while.

The second and third machines are not my own but are machines that aren't commonly seen where I'm from so I thought i'd post them for everyone. The second photo is of a Singer 97-10... it's my understanding that this machine could sew pretty much anything you wanted to put through it and at high speed to boot! Definitly a production machine. The third photo is another monster machine and is a Champion wide throat stitcher... a needle and awl machine that produces a beautiful stitch... not sure how fussy or reliable they are but interesting to see for sure!

Darc

Landis%20Stitcher.jpg

singer%2097-10.jpg

champion%20deep%20throat2.jpg

Darc:

Those are some impressive looking machines. I bet you could sew patches on car fenders with those!

Steve:

I bought the cutting/skiving machine from the old cowboy who taught me to build saddles. I actually bought two of them. The other one is like the one your grandfather had... it only cuts, doesn't have the skiving attachment. I didn't include a picture of it, because I'm leaving it in the old cowboy's shop for now. He's 83 years old and still putters around with leather. His hands and fingers don't work as well as they used to, so it's easier for him to use the cutter than to use a round knife.

I also bought the Singer sewing machine from him. He rarely used it, which explains why it's in such good shape.

Deep throat Champion I think from the early 1900's I have used it now over 25 yrs. It still works and sews as nice as it ever did. The machine is powered by the pedals as the operator sits in the old tractor style seat. This machine has a awl that punches the hole and the hook needle comes up from the bottom to catch the thread.

champion_gg.jpg

champion_g.jpg

champion_dd.jpg

post-7959-1235181637_thumb.jpg

post-7959-1235181766_thumb.jpg

post-7959-1235181818_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikePatterson

Mike Patterson, thats some machine.... it's amazing to see some of the old machines they used years ago. They were well built and quite reliable, even after many years.

I believe Landis made all kinds of leather working machinery - Does anyone know what else they made?

Worked in a machine-tool shop late 60's.

They had a older Landis cylender grinder, and got talked into NEW & BETTER???? Japan or Taiwan model. After 3-4 weeks they wanted the old Landis back.

The owner wanted to save the paint off the NEW & Better, melt the rest down and start over.

It just could not do what that old junker???? would, and a better finished job.

Landis had a number of machine tools, today I don't know.

Rod

heres my oldies. one is a champion straight sticther. it has the buffing n sanding bar hooked up to it. as to date im not sure but the motor had 1908 on it. champion_straight_stitcher.jpgchampion_straight_stitcher_2.jpg

this is a singer 111-w153 walking foot. it goes through a lot of stuff.singer_walking_foot.jpg

this is the daily machine. the one i use to sew zippers in lol. its a singer but dont know model number. I use another one similar that goes to shows with me. its my favorite n work much better than this singer. its called an Anker n ive toted it around for 30+ yrs already and knock on wood its never had to be fixed. singer_i_use.jpg

and finally( and not in the least my last machine lol) is one of my 29-4 I have a duplicate that also goes to shows with me. these are manually operated. I wouldnt use these any other way.29_4_patcher.jpg

the last 3-4 machines are used on a regular basis. the big ones are special projects. Im still setting up my shop. right now we are rewiring so shop is a disaster. hope ya like and sorry for the bad pics I dont have good lighting yet in shop and my camera is not the greatest. I have many more machines but there not set up there kind of in the corner but new projects keep coming up so soon ill have to get them going lol. thanks Bronc/Bonnie

post-5091-1235780197_thumb.jpg

post-5091-1235780209_thumb.jpg

post-5091-1235780285_thumb.jpg

post-5091-1235780455_thumb.jpg

post-5091-1235780585_thumb.jpg

Edited by broncobuster

As I looked around my little space I couldn't find much in the way of old machinery to post pictures of...and then I saw these! They've served me pretty well over the years, however, I am not always able to control them the way I'd like to. Manufactured in the early 50's they have seen some wear, tear and abuse, but are still pretty serviceable.

:banana:

Bob

Hands__L_.jpg

post-7682-1236025214_thumb.jpg

Bob: Now that you mention it, I've realized I have a similar pair of tools. Unfortunately, my main problem with them is that half the time the left one doesn't know what the right one is doing!

Bob: Now that you mention it, I've realized I have a similar pair of tools. Unfortunately, my main problem with them is that half the time the left one doesn't know what the right one is doing!

Mine too Chuck! :rofl: