UKRay

Old leatherworking machines - Show and tell

Janice,

Yep, looks like you have a Landis 30 crank and a Krebs style. I think that a few manufacturers built the Krebs style - I have had one with the Krebs tag on it, an Osborne 85, and right now have a Randall Krebs on the bench. Is there any manufacturer tag on yours?

I am attaching pics of the current lineup. I just bought a nice American crank splitter, pretty much unused. I have the black CS Osborne Chase 10" I pretty much keep set at 8 oz thickness. That is a common weight for me to split to. I also have a 12" Hanson Chase on the bench. I can pull anything up to about 11" through it. I can level about anything but saddle skirts with it. I have a flush mount 12" Hanson Chase I got mainly to have the blade as a backup for the mounted one. It is kind of neat, the sides adjust independently, so you could set one high and the other low to split wedges I guess. You mount these over a hole in the bench and the skivings fall through. My hands down favorite is the HF Osborne Chase style. It has a simple mechanism, a single knob slides a double wedge bar back and forth that raises the roller. I don't have it mounted, it is retired and will be part of a museum display bench at some point. I have a Spitler pattern Osborne splitter enroute. I bought it for a buddy who just wants one to split strap and do some laps with. I may end up refurbishing it and keeping it, and find him an 84 type of some variety. My name is Bruce, and I am a splitteraholic.......

IMG_0001__2_.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0003.JPG

post-29-1239801088_thumb.jpg

post-29-1239801124_thumb.jpg

post-29-1239801153_thumb.jpg

post-29-1239801182_thumb.jpg

post-29-1239801217_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce, nice collection of splitters you have there.

So my Krebs is a style then, good to know. There is no makers mark on it anywhere, so I was unsure.

I dont use it much, got used to the landis crank handle first. (lazy I guess!)

Thanks, Jan

Bruce,

Nice collection of splitters. What is the splitter in the fourth picture. Is that the one that you said you can split wedges? Never seen one like that before. I guess I will have to post my collection one of these days, seems I have a few you are missing!

Henry

Henry,

The black one in the fourth picture is the HF Osborne. It still has a little of the gold striping paint in some places. The one on the far right is the flush mount. On all the other Chase styles I have had, the top roller moved as a unit no matter which knob was turned. On the flush mount each knob controls the height independently on that side. I have tried to use it to skive with for fun, and it sort of gets you close. A guide would really help it with that I guess. The crank skiver and bell knife are the tools for that when it needs to be dead on.

My favorite users are the Chase patterns for most uses. With the top and bottom rollers and long blade bevels the leather feeds evenly and doesn't climb a bevel or flip up and chop off. The top roller on the Krebs helps with that too. The dial on the Krebs makes it repeatable.

Those are some nice looking machines. I've been meaning to post a pic of my new aquisition, an old Singer, but have been too lazy. I'll post some pics of it in the morning once I get off work, all I can remember for sure is the manual says copyright 1970. The best part about it is that I got it for 30$ at a barn sale. The lady said she may have some other old leather tools that she'll call me about if she happens to find them.

Do you guys know how easy those old singers are to pull apart and restore? It's a long arm one that when I talked to a guy in a local shop he called them a boot making machine. This one is very dirty so i want to rip it apart, clean it and repaint it. Again I'll post some pictures of it in the morning.

Edited by twofour878

Here's the dirty thing. It's a 29k51. I'm having trouble getting it to sew consistently so I'm playing with the knobs and stuff. Anyone know where I could get a breakdown diagram? Or maybe a better manual? The one I have sucks.

Second one is a closer shot of the top.

Last one is a shot of it in my "workshop"

SDC10086.JPG

SDC10088.JPG

SDC10089.JPG

post-7443-1250858633_thumb.jpg

post-7443-1250858733_thumb.jpg

post-7443-1250858801_thumb.jpg

Edited by twofour878

That machine is alot older than 1970 you can date it by the serial no. and look it up on the singer site, it would be pre 1950 at a guess, it is a boot pacher you can still buy most parts for them they are still made today

I dont think its threaded right. thats probaly the problem. also if you go to proleptic.com I think it is they have many manuals you can get. good luck Bronc

I dont think its threaded right. thats probaly the problem. also if you go to proleptic.com I think it is they have many manuals you can get. good luck Bronc

Here you can find manuals to download for free : http://www.singermachines.co.uk/Parts_&amp.../indstbooks.htm

recently bought a Pearson 6 harness stitcher and a leather creaser both for 700.00CAD indeed a deal of a century. I dought the son really knew the true value of the machines, merely wanted to clean up the garage and make some money! The ad was on www.kijiji.ca. the fellow selling it was the son of a harness maker who past away. The machine was excellent running condition but in poor condition and required extensive cleaning and painting in order to bring it back to its splendour and operational. Someone posted an ad here stating the pearson will sew up to 1/2 of leather. To clarify It WILL sew up to 1 1/4 thickness. This machine was intended to sew heavy duty horse tugs and such. The stitch is in a class of its own! Its a fantastic machine and at a price I could buy it at.

The other is what im told possibly to be a Randall lether creaser. only has the DBL lined creaser. alot of surface rust but was cleaned up very very nicely. I'm also told the date is around 1880's give or take... It's truely amazing what treasures are out there. All you need to do is put it out to the universe as to what you want and alloy everything to come together for you!

DSC04224.JPG

DSC04226.JPG

post-8173-12517295079_thumb.jpg

post-8173-125172952441_thumb.jpg

recently bought a Pearson 6 harness stitcher and a leather creaser both for 700.00CAD indeed a deal of a century. I dought the son really knew the true value of the machines, merely wanted to clean up the garage and make some money! The ad was on www.kijiji.ca. the fellow selling it was the son of a harness maker who past away. The machine was excellent running condition but in poor condition and required extensive cleaning and painting in order to bring it back to its splendour and operational. Someone posted an ad here stating the pearson will sew up to 1/2 of leather. To clarify It WILL sew up to 1 1/4 thickness. This machine was intended to sew heavy duty horse tugs and such. The stitch is in a class of its own! Its a fantastic machine and at a price I could buy it at.

The other is what im told possibly to be a Randall lether creaser. only has the DBL lined creaser. alot of surface rust but was cleaned up very very nicely. I'm also told the date is around 1880's give or take... It's truely amazing what treasures are out there. All you need to do is put it out to the universe as to what you want and alloy everything to come together for you!

I guess you have braging rights!! But you don't have to crow so loud !! You are talking about age is it a Pearson & Bennion or a B U S M #6 ??

And to set the reads strate you can only get ( 1 inch under the needle bar ) and that going to be tight

would you post the ser # good luck notie

This are very old Sewing machines from the founder of the Adler Dürkopp company called Koch & Co Bielefeld (1860)

how old this beauties are I dont know ..... but i like it looks great in my shop

Greetings Johann

Koch1.JPG

Koch2.JPG

Koch3.JPG

post-6206-125179274159_thumb.jpg

post-6206-125179275548_thumb.jpg

post-6206-125179276729_thumb.jpg

UKRay, old machinery an tools. This is a great topic to start.

This ole stitcher is a Landis 16, it added to the shop late last year. It's been such a nice addition, we decided to add another one like it while in Sheridan last May.

Around here, if we had more room for machinery. The place would be full. What can I say, I love the way these machines sew, built like a tank. Just as heavy..... :( But it pulls the tightest stitch, hard to beat.

Aaaaah a man after our own hearts! :cheers:

Shop-2.gif

post-93-125395400461_thumb.gif

I acquired this old Landis machine recently, but I don't know anything about it. It has a needle, and is so heavy duty, it must be a leather stitcher. I don't know what kind of stitch that it makes, or what it may have been used to sew. It has "Landis - St. Louis, MO" on the hand wheel, but I can't see any model or serial numbers on it. Anyone know what model this could be?

It was part of a sewing machine collection that I bought, and the collector passed on over 4 years ago, so I don't know where he got it or anything about its history. It operates (I have to tip it to one side to allow the machinery to clear the floor), but I don't know if it sews. It's a heavy rascal, and needs a sturdy stand for it to operate properly.

I'll try to find a new home for it, as soon as I can find out what it is.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

CD,

That is a Landis 1. I'll leave to those more knowledgable about how it performs.

Hi. It looks just like a British United Number 6 ( if my memory is well) harness stitcher that I once owned. A needle feed machine that did work reasonably well until I discovered needle awl machines. One thing I did like was the feeding mechanism which did not have a regular feed dog but was fed from the top . A needle feed machine.. That made the underside look similar to the top side in my opinion. I would say to resurrect it would be a good thing, if it is at all similar to what I had. Take care Lindsay

That is a Landis #1. I sewed on one for about 10 years and loved mine. I found a landis #3 about 4 years ago and that is what I use now. They do use a feed dog on the bottom and the foot feeds as well. You can still buy needles for them, parts are a little tough to find and they will be used when you find them. One nice thing about the 1 is it is simple with some basic shop know how you can work on it your self. Mine would not even turn due to rust when I got it I worked on it for a week or so and had it making stitches. They are not a fancy as the new machines of today but they will out last them by far. They are not made to sew fast so use a speed reducer if you choose to put a motor on it. Mine was hand powered and still is a friend of mine uses it daily now with no trouble. (Great for holsters, sheaths, belts and many other uses in stitching leather, they don't like nylon though, just my exp though.)

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the model of my Landis. I did a search for the Landis 1 here, found Kate's post about hers, and then photos of hers on her site. I see what is broken off of my machine (tension bracket), and that makes mine probably just a parts machine. Now I know what the stand looks like too, if I ever see one. Hopefully, I'll find a new home for my Landis 1 before that happens though....

Thanks everyone!

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Just posted a new sub-topic in the "Leather History" section - quite a lot of images of BUSM Co products from an old company catalogue.

I also have a couple of BUSM Co. No.6 Machine manuals, a 5th ed. & a 21st ed.

I have LOTS of manuals from other makers - will get around to scanning them as soon as I get time (Adamson, Adler, Dearborn, Pfaff, etc.) plus a Japanese text brochure for a wide range of makes/machines

Hope the BUSM Co. stuff I have put on is of interest/use

As an old leatherwork machinery enthusiast, I would be very keen to see machines other people use. Living and working in the UK means I rarely get to see any of the amazing machines made in the US, South Africa or Australia/NZ - and I certainly haven't seen all the machines that have been made in the UK; even if a good few are to be found in my workroom!

If you have an old machine (or two) perhaps you could post a new topic in this section that includes a description of how (and how well) it works plus a few pictures so we can all share in the experience. This might then help to show newcomers what machinery may be available to them.

Remembering that many of the smaller leatherwork machines can be picked up at junk stores or on ebay for very little money it would also be useful to get some idea of each machine's current value as a sort of buyer's guide.

To save duplication of very popular machines, It might be best if we don't post if somebody else has got there first - unless we have something different to 'show and tell'.

How does the forum feel about this idea? Anyone want to start the ball rolling?

need a bit of guidance on postin pictures, but here is an outsole stitcher, as a bit of a machine freek I've got lots of old machines, I'll post them a bit at a time

cheers

mike

BILD0295.JPG

post-9428-125857370277_thumb.jpg

need a bit of guidance on postin pictures, but here is an outsole stitcher, as a bit of a machine freek I've got lots of old machines, I'll post them a bit at a time

cheers

mike

this is a blakes? stitcher, a tredle single thread machine that creates a loop stitch, just like the machines that they sew potato sacks up with, and you pull one end and it all unravels (if you don't know what I'm talking about you haven't lived) it was seized solid, and the tredle casting was broken, but it works now (not sure what I'm going to do with it!) but a great piece of engineeringBILD0293.JPG

post-9428-125882615353_thumb.jpg

this is a blakes? stitcher, a tredle single thread machine that creates a loop stitch, just like the machines that they sew potato sacks up with, and you pull one end and it all unravels (if you don't know what I'm talking about you haven't lived) it was seized solid, and the tredle casting was broken, but it works now (not sure what I'm going to do with it!) but a great piece of engineeringBILD0293.JPG

A few months ago I bought a Merkle skiver, almost identical to a fortuna, it was a bit bent and bashed up, with bits missing, It is now running again, but I'm having problems setting it up, can't seem to get a consistant cut, what power motor should it have? the current one seems under powered, any suggestions greatfully received, I'll post a couple of photos tomorrow,

A few months ago I bought a Merkle skiver, almost identical to a fortuna, it was a bit bent and bashed up, with bits missing, It is now running again, but I'm having problems setting it up, can't seem to get a consistant cut, what power motor should it have? the current one seems under powered, any suggestions greatfully received, I'll post a couple of photos tomorrow,

Hi Mike,

I also have a Merkle bell knife skiver. I found a guy in Birmingham who really seems to know what he is doing with skiving machines and he is currently overhauling mine. He gets some great sewing machines too but you have to go in there to see what he's got as his website isn't as exciting as it might be... but don't tell him I said so - here are his contact details:

Hartley Sewing

29 Butts Road

Walsall

West Midlands

WS4 2AR

01922 721136

www.hartleysewingmachines.co.uk

If you get Merkle spares problems you might try phoning John at Merkle in South London. He is extremely helpful, but expect to pay an arm and a leg for genuine spares.

P.W. Merkle Ltd.,

Unit 14, Eagle Trading Estate,

29 Willow Lane,

Mitcham,

Surrey, UK,

CR4 4UY

020 8640 8631

www.pw-merkle.co.uk

I also have a lovely old Merkle strap cutter that is invaluable. Merkle make great equipment though, IMHO, it is worth getting the older models - they seem to be built better somehow.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Hi Mike,

I also have a Merkle bell knife skiver. I found a guy in Birmingham who really seems to know what he is doing with skiving machines and he is currently overhauling mine. He gets some great sewing machines too but you have to go in there to see what he's got as his website isn't as exciting as it might be... but don't tell him I said so - here are his contact details:

Hartley Sewing

29 Butts Road

Walsall

West Midlands

WS4 2AR

01922 721136

www.hartleysewingmachines.co.uk

If you get Merkle spares problems you might try phoning John at Merkle in South London. He is extremely helpful, but expect to pay an arm and a leg for genuine spares.

P.W. Merkle Ltd.,

Unit 14, Eagle Trading Estate,

29 Willow Lane,

Mitcham,

Surrey, UK,

CR4 4UY

020 8640 8631

www.pw-merkle.co.uk

I also have a lovely old Merkle strap cutter that is invaluable. Merkle make great equipment though, IMHO, it is worth getting the older models - they seem to be built better somehow.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Hi Ray,

So you know Hartley, quite a character huh? A really nice guy. We bought our first Singer corner stitcher from him some years back, I travelled up to Walsall to collect it.

His shop's quite unbelievable, an absolute Aladdins Cave!

Steve