CWR

Cantle Binding

I got a saddle in the shop for some minor repairs. It is a well made custom saddle. As I was going over it, I thought man that is the best hidden stitch I have ever seen on a cantle binding. I took a closer look and realized that there was no slit in the back. The binding is sewn through the front and the filler and cantle leathers but does not go through the back of the binding.

My thoughts are that the maker fit the binding and let it dry then dampened it enough to flip the back up and sew it. Then glued the back down and let it dry again.

My questions are, Do you think this is a good practice? And if you have done one like this what is your method?

Thanks,

CW

I've done a lot of hidden stitch binders except they were split and sewn through the bottom layer, I like to do them this way but I'm not sure about just glueing them down with no stitch. I don't know what the advantage of that would be since you're sewing it anyway. My question is are you absolutely sure it isn't split if done well it can be very hard to detect, and would you mind telling what the make is of the saddle that may reveal something as to the technique ?

To me it is a shortcut, an easy way out of the work that should be done. There is an obvious risk that the back of the cantle binding will come loose, and I would not put my makers stamp and my reputation at risk on a saddle like that!

/ Knut

I've done a lot of hidden stitch binders except they were split and sewn through the bottom layer, I like to do them this way but I'm not sure about just glueing them down with no stitch. I don't know what the advantage of that would be since you're sewing it anyway. My question is are you absolutely sure it isn't split if done well it can be very hard to detect, and would you mind telling what the make is of the saddle that may reveal something as to the technique ?

I'm sure the stitching doesn't go through the backside. I was thinking the same thing but I was able to slide a modeling spoon under the binding in the back.

Well.....there's always many ways to skin a cat.......but, without any stitches coming through any of the backside of that binding, I'd be afraid that the glue would let go, and you'd have a binding that was loose. JW

Well CW, the one good thing about doing repairs is you get to see and learn from others saddle makers. Some of the things we see make us ask "what the hell was he thinking" while others make us say "why didn't I Think of that". In this case I would go with the "what the hell was he thinking". I too have seen hidden stitches done so well that the binder looked as though it was just rolled over the cantle back but have never seen or heard of anyone doing it without stitching. I would be afraid to do one that way, but I guess some boys and girls trust their glue more than I do..... Jeff

Thanks fellers. You confirmed my thoughts on this.

You're right on that Jeff. Ever one that I tear down and put back leaves me knowing a little more. Still got a ways to go.

Thanks for the replies,

CW

I have seen that on more than one saddle, and usually it is when it comes in for repair, and the binding is loose on the back side along with a lot of other things that have gone wrong and shouldn't on a well made saddle. A lot of riders reach back there and grab on so there is the potential for it to come loose. Also what I have seen is that they will stitch the cantle back to the front and filler with the binding on a machine and then slide it on. I know it makes for a loose fit and not a good tight custom fit, but; i have seen it and it just makes you wonder how they get by with it. It's not the way I was taught.

Bob