Sylvia

Black River Laser Is Awesome

They made a couple blocks for me. One for the hefty handle and another that is about 2 inches wide and relatively rectangle. They were in prototyping mode so I don't have info on prices. They are really good folks so feel free to email them or call. Explain what you need and see what they can do for you.

I contacted them for a complete custom makers stamp. The price for a regular stamp was $20 for a 1" stamp. Price for a complete custom stamp was thirty five dollars. By custom I mean they couldn't take the existing blank stamp and just add name and location, they had to cut a custom graphic logo also. it was a total rework of design. They can be used with the Tandy hefty handle or arbor press. I do plan having them make me one in the near future.

Billymac814,

I just had BLACK RIVER LASER make up 4 custom stamps and I love the stamps. Check out the pictures. I love the way my belts now look. I can't say enough about Jerry and Joyce, the owners and the only people you talk to... Unlike every other business you call. I love them stamps so much that they are making me an embossing stamp that will read "saddle stitched by hand". Jerry said its a brand new design...so I will post pics when I get it. They do custom, not the cookie cutter pattern that others offer.

CONCEPTUAL.bmp

post-33082-066289300 1342200750_thumb.jp

The top2 pics are custom stamps by black river laser. The name is my carving.

The top2 pics are custom stamps by black river laser. The name is my carving.

post-33082-033931700 1342202025_thumb.jp

post-33082-035076700 1342202172_thumb.jp

post-33082-067709300 1342202267_thumb.jp

This is the "saddle stitched by hand" stamping. I was on a rush

to take this picture and it doesn't do the stamp our my belly justice.

I wish I would have got these stamps a long time ago.

Take care,

Jason

post-33082-046063600 1342220333_thumb.jp

post-33082-003813300 1342220352_thumb.jp

post-33082-069879100 1342220365_thumb.jp

okay, I got 4 custom maker stamps from Black River Laser last Saturday and I loved them so much that I called Jerry and Joyce to tell them thank you. Jerry said "if you liked those...you should see the new embossing stamp I made up". He was nice enough to send me the prototype that he just made. Now I talked to Jerry on Thursday night and I had the prototype stamp on Saturday morning... That's fast, and the new stamp is cool. It reads "saddle stitched by hand" with 3 little stitches on each side of the wording. Check out the sample that I pressed this morning.

If you're looking for custom maker stamps with any design, wording, shapes... look at BLACK RIVER LASER. Jerry and Joyce will take care of you!

http://www.blackriverlaser.com/

Thank you Jerry and Joyce,

Jason Laboda

post-33082-037607500 1342372761_thumb.jp

Those are nice Jason: I totally agree that Joyce and Jerry are awesome. I'm glad you find them fantastic too.

I have to agree, they are great people to do business with and they make outstanding products.

Joyce asked me if I would do a tutorial video on how to use their guitar strap template so I did, it is out on you tube and covers several of their templates in Part I then I use the Guitar Strap Template in Parts 2-7 to make a guitar strap.

The videos are at:

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/fdOjBsBGJoE

Part 2 - http://youtu.be/aMiDe912XBI

Part 3 - http://youtu.be/piWmpioRyq4

Part 4 - http://youtu.be/g0GJdkODl_4

Part 5 - http://youtu.be/FTaVhFFNzGo

Part 6 - http://youtu.be/hZfvEKjlWO4

Part 7 - http://youtu.be/TZsP65I3j-U

Ken

Thanks Sylvia and Ken. I agree that they are super to work with.

Ken, those are great detailed vidoes. I watched 1-4 so far and picked up a couple of tips.

I've got to call Black River Laser for a leather thickness gauge. The people at my local leather shop have one and its pretty slick. Small and useful.

Take care,

Jason

Thanks Sylvia and Ken. I agree that they are super to work with.

Ken, those are great detailed vidoes. I watched 1-4 so far and picked up a couple of tips.

I've got to call Black River Laser for a leather thickness gauge. The people at my local leather shop have one and its pretty slick. Small and useful.

Take care,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

They'll treat you right, I really enjoy using their products.

Ken

Ken

Great videos!! You are an excellent teacher. The Black River Laser products look like a great time saver. Thank you Sylvia for posting up about them.

Iron Pounder,

Thanks for the compliments. When I see them, I see the mistakes and things I should have said and done. If they help Joyce and Jerry get the word out about their products and if it helps someone a little, maybe a trick or two I've picked up over the years, then it's worth it. Black River Laser makes some excellent products and I wouldn't promote them if I didn't use them and like them.

Ken

Ken

Great videos!! You are an excellent teacher. The Black River Laser products look like a great time saver. Thank you Sylvia for posting up about them.

You are welcome, Iron Pounder. ...I knew some of us would find their products useful. I don't think you can beat their customer service and prices either. They tell me they have been very busy lately and yet for a 2 person shop, they manage to get things done and out the door really quickly and STILL have a great attitude on the phone and in their emails.

Yep sound good guys, I'm going to put an order in first part of the week I would guess. I need to go through and decide everything I want.

Ken, I love your humor in the Black River Laser videos. Additionally, the tip of taping off the back of your strap with making tape works great. I use the Tandy's water stains and the tape keeps the stain from traveling. With my new custom stamps and nice clean backs... my belts have never looked so good. Thank you.

Jason

Ken, I love your humor in the Black River Laser videos. Additionally, the tip of taping off the back of your strap with making tape works great. I use the Tandy's water stains and the tape keeps the stain from traveling. With my new custom stamps and nice clean backs... my belts have never looked so good. Thank you.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the nice comments. I enjoy working on leather and I like to have fun. My philosophy is that I never get aggravated while working on leather, I got married 43 years ago for aggravation, I do leather work for fun!

Ken

I got married 43 years ago for aggravation, I do leather work for fun!

<Tea Spew!> Muaha ha ha ha Don't let her hear you say that!

<Tea Spew!> Muaha ha ha ha Don't let her hear you say that!

I make sure she dosen't have access to this site!!! She stays on pinterest and I frequent here.

Ken

Just got my second order from Black River Laser in the mail today. Picked up the centering template, and two of their lesser advertized templates, a five piece key fob set, and a leather fly swatter template. I also picked up their new "saddle stitched by hand" delrin stamp.

As always service was quick. My order was out the door inside 24 hours. Ordered early afternoon on Monday, have everything in my hand Wednesday.

The key fob set looks great. Perfect sizes. The Tandy key fob blanks always seemed too large for me. They'll always feel like a camp project just because of the size. These should be perfect. A little simple stamping and the projects should sell nicely. My curve cutting is awful. I need the practice. These should help a lot.

The centering aid is what it is. BRL quality little tool. Real time saver for laying out stitching, strap holes, quick measuring, all sorts of things.

The fly swatter pattern is interesting, and I think I have some good ideas of what to do with the basic idea. Print off some letters or simple designs and punch the friction holes out around them. Maybe pick up some of the cheaper exotic woods like Purpleheart and Mahogany that would be like $2 per handle and do something with that rather then using paint stir sticks or wire handles that everyone else uses.

Haven't tried the stamp out yet. Plan to do that on my next project, but it looks great.

Glendon,

Did you get the embossing stamp that reads "saddle stitched by hand"?

Jason

Yep that's the one. Inch diameter, and about an inch high. I'll be trying it out tomorrow. I'll try it in my arbor press and with a handle and post some quick pictures if you like.

Sounds great.

Here's a picture of BRLs "Saddle Stitched By Hand" stamp in use. I like it. I've included a couple different dying options of what can be done with it. The left hand impression was done by hand, and the other two where done with an arbor press.

After doing the stamping, I decided to try out some eco-flo saddle tan I never used. As you can see, it didn't come out so hot.

post-21489-010270800 1344048706_thumb.jp

Edited by Glendon

Just got my second order from Black River Laser in the mail today. Picked up the centering template, and two of their lesser advertized templates, a five piece key fob set, and a leather fly swatter template. I also picked up their new "saddle stitched by hand" delrin stamp.

Those centering templates are great aren't they? They work perfect. The "saddle stitched by hand" stamp is pretty cool

Glendon,

I dig your Black River Laser stamp. Its different than mine. They're always making up new designs... You never know what you'll see.

I know its been mentioned... But the BRL leather gauge is awesome. It is priceless when paired with the high tech leather splitter from Tandy.

post-33082-017925100 1344271512_thumb.jp

post-33082-039924100 1344271526_thumb.jp