Sign in to follow this  
Don Ayres

Civil War Hat Or Kepi

Does anyone have a good pattern for a civil war style hat or kepi ?

Thanks

Don

Does anyone have a good pattern for a civil war style hat or kepi ?

Thanks

Don

When I'm ack home tonight I'll send you what I made. It needs a little tweaking.

post-20394-082921500 1335349590_thumb.jp

Okay I couldnt find my drawings but here is a picture of the pieces cut out. If you scale the circle to 6 inch diameter you could use this pic as a pattern. I would change the back line of the side pieces to where it drops straight down about 2 inches from the bottom so the back doesnt come out in a point at the bottom.

post-20394-099335200 1335405427_thumb.jp

Do you have any pattern measurements, for this kepi?

Not really other than that the top is 6 inch diameter and the strip is one inch wide I made from playing with poster board and duct tape because I couldnt find a pattern anywhere anyone was willing to share. It is really not that tough a thing. What I recommend is save the picture , then open it in photoshop or whatever do a threshhold on it and scale it to where the top is 6 inch diameter print it taoe it to poster board cut it out tape it together see how it fits and then scale it up or down from there til you get it it. Poster board is cheap and even if it takes you 3 or 4 tries it shouldnt take more than an hour to find where you need it. since I used tooling lether and nothing is hemmed under the pieces will need a hemming allowance if you are sewing up suede or canvas. i just whip stitched the top and double zigzagged the sides. I may make another with a cooler lacing on the top this summer. But If I do I will probably tool the top and a patch for the front as well.

many years ago, I used to do Civil War re-enacting. Period Impressions made a pattern. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_107_300_304&products_id=9921

Hope this helps.

Hey Zonker, Thanks, Unfortunately I am unable to scale this pic up to size, can you give me a few measurements for the sides of the Hat ?

Thanks

Don

Edited by Don Ayres

Don I will try to redo them as a I was saying and post them in a clear pdf with measurements and all but it might be a week or so before I have it with everything else going on.

Don I dont know if this'll help but if you take this print it out and enlarge it untill the front edge is 3 inches and the top edge corner to corner is 9.25. The top circle is 6inches across and the strap around it is 1 inch by 24. The brim I just fiddles around by hand and did it. skyved 1/4 inch on the inside to fold up and attach to crown

post-20394-080119500 1337309035_thumb.jp

post-20394-051196000 1337309052_thumb.jp

post-20394-046142100 1337309065_thumb.jp