kayw

Knurling On Hand Tools

Hi folks, I'm new here but have been doing leather work off and on for about 30 years. I got interested in making my own stamping tools after visiting Ellis Barnes many years ago. I have made a number of different ones, including geometrics, pear shaders, basket weaves, flower centers, etc. Most of these are either from stainless steel bolts or nails from the hardware store. I have decided to try to work out a way to knurl the handles but I don't have a metal lathe. I do have a couple of drill presses, one a bench top and the other is a floor stander. If any of you have an idea about how to do this I would be much obliged. I have checkering and other files but am not much of a machinist. I remember Ellis had what seemed like a little machine on a table top that did it but that was back around 1990. Years ago (around 1970)I made a lot of duty belts and holsters and cuff cases for the Sheriff's Office in Phoenix where I worked, but now most of my work is just for friends and family.

You can buy a hand knurler such as the Knurlmaster. They are basically a "C" shaped pipe cutter style tool. Hope this helps.

You can buy a hand knurler such as the Knurlmaster. They are basically a "C" shaped pipe cutter style tool. Hope this helps.

Thanks mucho Elton, I'll try to locate one. I can see that this site will be quite a resource.

There are two different versions of the Knurlmaster...standard and deluxe. I have tried some of the knockoffs and they generally don't work as well. These are generally made to touch up existing knurling but I have used them to cut new ones as well. Here's one place that sells both versions but there are plenty of others that sell them. It also lists the additional sets of pattern knurls for the deluxe kit.

http://mdmetric.com/prod/meda/medatoolsupply/columnar8018.html?cat_id=1612&&category_site=MEDATOOL

Regards,

Ben

There are two different versions of the Knurlmaster...standard and deluxe. I have tried some of the knockoffs and they generally don't work as well. These are generally made to touch up existing knurling but I have used them to cut new ones as well. Here's one place that sells both versions but there are plenty of others that sell them. It also lists the additional sets of pattern knurls for the deluxe kit.

http://mdmetric.com/...y_site=MEDATOOL

Regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben, and I appreciate the advice on getting the better quality tool as opposed to the knockoff. I will be starting with the standard version as my main purpose will be just trying to hang on to the tool and keep it in the same position. This seems to be most important thing when working with some of the geometric tools. All the best, KayW