NewYorkerInSydney

Awl Tears Back Of Leather

Hello good people,

I am hoping you can give me some advice. For some time now I have made some little items here and there but I am not happy with one part of it in particular. I use a very thin and narrow aw that makes a diamond shape or so, to make holes in my leather items which can sometimes be up to 10mm thick. Regardless of the thickness the front of the leather pierces neatly, but at the back the leather always tears. Im fed up with it as it doesn't look very nice especially since I dye many things. The tears look bad enough as it is, but on hand dyed veg tanned leather it looks worse because the tear then exposes the pink leather inside and even with the stitching you can still see this. I would really really really love to know how you fix this problem. I look forward to your replies.

Very appreciative,

Lilly

Hi Lilly,

- Might be your awl needs some sharpening.

- Or the angle is not exactly 90°

- Or you hold your project in your hand and not in the clamps

- Or the quality of your leather is not satisfactory

I would start sharepening your awl.

Best

Aart.

Hello good people,

I am hoping you can give me some advice. For some time now I have made some little items here and there but I am not happy with one part of it in particular. I use a very thin and narrow aw that makes a diamond shape or so, to make holes in my leather items which can sometimes be up to 10mm thick. Regardless of the thickness the front of the leather pierces neatly, but at the back the leather always tears. Im fed up with it as it doesn't look very nice especially since I dye many things. The tears look bad enough as it is, but on hand dyed veg tanned leather it looks worse because the tear then exposes the pink leather inside and even with the stitching you can still see this. I would really really really love to know how you fix this problem. I look forward to your replies.

Very appreciative,

Lilly

Go into your kitchen, . . . look for one of those plastic cutting boards. Put it under your leather.

Then, . . . pierce the front and go through the leather until you can feel it hit the plastic. Turn it over, . . . finish your awl hole punching from the back.

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight