flyingsqueak

29K-71 Problem

I'm having trouble working with a singer 29k-71. The upper thread keeps getting caught in the carrier, and I don't have any idea how to fix this. I've found a good manual and I'm pretty sure I threaded it correctly and have the bobbin in correctly--I don't think the tension is set right. The tension thumb screw doesn't seem to change anything.

I'm working for somebody who just bought the machine with no idea how to use it, and I'm supposed to figure it out. She says they demonstrated it stitching properly before she bought it.

Are there any common problems/beginner mistakes that cause the thread to tangle in the carrier? I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

If your thread isn't pulled in between the tension discs it'll do this everytime.

Bob

Three causes of the top thread wrapping around the shuttle carrier come to mind.

1. Wrong length needle. If the needle is too long, the eye of the needle will be too low, causing the loop to be pulled under the carrier. Use 29x3 or 29x4 needles.
  2. Broken top of a needle shaft stuck in the needle bar. This happens when a brittle steel needle is overtightened with the needle securing screw. The broken top can get jammed into the mounting hole. When you replace the needle with the normally correct type, the length is too long and the eye too low. Remove the mounting block, unscrew the needle screw and tap hard on a solid surface to try to dislodge a broken needle shaft. Shine a light into the screw hole and try to see if there is a broken piece in the upper section.
  3. Incorrect threading of the top thread could allow this to happen. Check the thread path.

Thank you! It's working much better now.

One more problem though, when the upper thread tension is adjusted so the stitch is even and smooth, the thread will end up getting stuck in the tension disks. Is this just because it needs to be oiled? Is there something else that could also be causing this problem? (I'm going to oil it, I just want to make sure nothing else is wrong too).

(oh, my original problem was that the needle was twisted around the wrong way, and possibly not in all the way, and the tension was way off)

Edited by flyingsqueak

Well the tension unit is supposed to create tension & usually it needs to be real tight,now if it's getting stuck are you saying it won't pull out at all? Or is it breaking the thread?

It will stitch nicely for about five to ten inches and then it won't pull at all, and will break the thread if I don't catch it and un-stick it. The thread is really getting caught between the tension disks, not just pulling slowly/tightly.

Edited by flyingsqueak

It will stitch nicely for about five to ten inches and then it won't pull at all, and will break the thread if I don't catch it and un-stick it. The thread is really getting caught between the tension disks, not just pulling slowly/tightly.

There may be a burr, or foreign material bonded on the metal adjuster shaft, or the tension disks. Remove and clean/buff, or replace the threaded tension adjuster shaft and the disks.

Watch the top thread and see if it is looping over any objects that might affect the pull on the thread. Some black thread is very springy and tends to form loops that interfere with the tension.

Edited by Wizcrafts

My name is Roy, and I'm going nuts trying to get the top thread to pick up the bobbin thread in a replica Singer 29k71. This machine only has one rack driving the bobbin shuttle holder, (which has a gear under it). I'm new to sewing, and do not understand how the top thread is suppose to "pick up" the bobbin thread. I believe my problem is tension, or timing, or both. Someone please HELP!

Have you insert the needle correctly? Are you using the correct needle? The 29K takes 29x3 (332) or DPx17 (135x17) needles.

There is not very much to time on the 29K. Check this post, it should help you - hopefully

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=52583&p=336139

You may have to do some "fine tuning" but thats basically all you can do. Not sure how your gearbox looks inside but when it is a 29K71 clone you´ll find the correct set up for the gearbox in a manual you can download here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=57862&p=372012

It is not for exactly for the 29K71 but gearbox looks the same inside - see page 24 / 25 in the manual.

Edited by Constabulary

As an importer of machines I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and jam it straight up his arse.

Chinese clones of the 29k are mostly crap and take a lot of tuning to get working properly. If you bought it second hand then the seller wanted to get rid of it as it is a boat anchor.

I refuse to work on these for people as to fix them I need to strip them back to the bare body, flush out the metal shavings, replace all springs with equivalents from Taiwan and then rebuild. For the cost of the labour to get the piece of rubbish working I can airfreight a new machine in from Taiwan.

My name is Roy, and I'm going nuts trying to get the top thread to pick up the bobbin thread in a replica Singer 29k71. This machine only has one rack driving the bobbin shuttle holder, (which has a gear under it). I'm new to sewing, and do not understand how the top thread is suppose to "pick up" the bobbin thread. I believe my problem is tension, or timing, or both. Someone please HELP!

14 minutes ago, fifi said:

Hi iv had problems with my singer 29k.. my top tension is loose constantly.. how do I change the disks and make the tension work again ?

You need to start a new topic concerning your problem. This is an old topic. I am creating a new topic for you...