I've seen a local shop use a Singer 191 to sew veg tan with V138 thread. I asked them how is it possible, and they said they have done some modifications. No further details from them.

There is this used Juki DDL-8700 for sale locally, and I was wondering if I could do the same? If so, what modifications is needed?

http://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/apparel_e/1needle_e/ddl8700.html

I've seen a local shop use a Singer 191 to sew veg tan with V138 thread. I asked them how is it possible, and they said they have done some modifications. No further details from them.

There is this used Juki DDL-8700 for sale locally, and I was wondering if I could do the same? If so, what modifications is needed?

http://www.juki.co.j..._e/ddl8700.html

RedDevil;

Did you pay attention to this description of the Juki DDL-8700:

"By thoroughly investigating and modifying the sewing mechanisms in order to achieve low-tension sewing, the machine flexibly responds to various kinds of materials and produces beautiful seams of consistent quality."

That is the opposite of what you will need to sew hard material with hard thread. You will be doing high tension sewing if you use #138 thread and a #22 needle. You need a slow speed, manually oiled heavy duty machine, with extra heavy top tension and pressure springs. The shuttle driver may need to be opened up to allow #138 thread to go around the bobbin case. For sure, you'll need to change the presser foot to either a Teflon or a roller foot. It's almost certain that the needle bar clamping screw may have to be replaced, to allow it to be cranked down incredibly tight to keep the needle bar from slipping under the impact.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I just re-read the specs for the Juki DDL-8700, and apparently, only sub-model 8700H is able to use a #22 or 23 needle. It is also possible that the H model has heavier pressure springs. You'll have to contact Juki to see if this is true.

Also, self oiling machines must be operated at high speeds to get the oil pump to deliver the oil to all ends of the wicks. Leather sewing is done at very slow speeds and the sump pumps may not distribute enough oil to the bearings at slow speeds.

If you buy the right machine you could purchase replacement springs for the top tension desks and presser foot. But, it is best if you buy a machine already designed and adjusted to use #138 thread. Have you looked into the Juki LU-1508 series?

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hi Wiz, I've just about scoured the webs of all major brands. However since I am looking for used machines, I can only choose from what is available, which 99.9% of the time, the original buyer would have bought it to do something else as nobody does leatherwork in singapore except for a few.

Hi Wiz, I've just about scoured the webs of all major brands. However since I am looking for used machines, I can only choose from what is available, which 99.9% of the time, the original buyer would have bought it to do something else as nobody does leatherwork in singapore except for a few.

Check with any upholstery shops. They always have extra walking foot machines on the floor somewhere.

Drapery shops sometimes use walking foot machines. Leather garment makers and repairers use walking foot machines.

Other than these, you will be struggling with a straight stitch machine if you try to sew real leather, using #138 thread.

Hi Wiz, just found a walking foot. The distributor gets used machines back from his clients for refurbishing. Sometimes, they trade them in for a new one.

He happens to have one right now which has been refurbished. Asking USD$1465 for it. Just the head, clutch motor and a new table.

Here's the model http://www.mauser-spezial.com/ma-1245.html I told him the US distributors are selling about the same price for brand new, but he wouldn't budge. Anyway, I tell myself I am not saving any dollars by buying used, but at least I don't need to pay for shipping, and support will be local.

Left a few pieces of veg tan and size 346 thread with him today. Once he has sewn some test pieces, he'll call me in, and we can do a deal.

It's at least 30% above my budget, but I think I just gotta settle down with one soon. The time spent searching for one could be better used for leather work :)

Hi Wiz, just found a walking foot. The distributor gets used machines back from his clients for refurbishing. Sometimes, they trade them in for a new one.

He happens to have one right now which has been refurbished. Asking USD$1465 for it. Just the head, clutch motor and a new table.

Here's the model http://www.mauser-sp...om/ma-1245.html I told him the US distributors are selling about the same price for brand new, but he wouldn't budge. Anyway, I tell myself I am not saving any dollars by buying used, but at least I don't need to pay for shipping, and support will be local.

Left a few pieces of veg tan and size 346 thread with him today. Once he has sewn some test pieces, he'll call me in, and we can do a deal.

It's at least 30% above my budget, but I think I just gotta settle down with one soon. The time spent searching for one could be better used for leather work :)

I hate to have to tell you this, but that machine is probably not ever going to sew with #346 bonded thread. Not unless the dealer changes the needle bar to take system 328 needles, which are available in sizes 23 up. It takes a #26 or larger needle to sew with #346 thread. The machine you linked to takes up to a #23 needle, which is for #207 thread, maximum.

If you intend to sew with #346 thread, consider a machine such as the CB2500 or GA1-5