LuisPaulo

A Good Workbench For Carving ?

Hi...

I m working on a table that is driving me crazy when I need to carve. There s a lot of vibration noise, etc... Like a earthquake...lol

Since my "studio" is very small, I plan to make a small, but stable workbench that I ll use just for carving. I use a 10" x 10" granite on the table.

I think to do a small version of this http://www.cornerhar...owto/ht082.html , what do you think ?

What could helps to prevent vibration ??

Thank you !!!

Hi...

I m working on a table that is driving me crazy when I need to carve. There s a lot of vibration noise, etc... Like a earthquake...lol

Since my "studio" is very small, I plan to make a small, but stable workbench that I ll use just for carving. I use a 10" x 10" granite on the table.

I think to do a small version of this http://www.cornerhar...owto/ht082.html , what do you think ?

What could helps to prevent vibration ??

Thank you !!!

the bench looks fine, but, i think your problem is too small a marbletop....id suggest at least 12X28X1 1/2 or thereabouts, with 1/4 rubber sole/heel pad glued to the bottom

Edited by acowboy

I built my tooling bench top from 2"x4" solid pine boards, glued together to get a 4" thick top, reinforced with 4 threaded bars all the way through. I bolted on aluminum legs. On top is a 4" thick granite headstone countersunk in an extra top to get an even surface.

I think your problem is a too thin table top and granite slab.

post-5173-036075800 1336125360_thumb.jpg

Certainly as the guys suggest, thickerer (lol) and heavier, and braced makes it a better surface to put your tooling work on. Mine is 3" thick laminated 1 1/2" by 3" hard maple glued and bolted together with a base of welded steel heavy wall tubing which has a height adjustment system incorporated into it. It is 3' by 5'. It is so solid that I only need a 3/4" plate of steel to actually stamp on. I also use it for mounting a splitter and small arbor press on. Bottom line is that it can not be too sturdy.

Bob

Thank you guys I think you all are correct.

BTW, very nice space on the photo !!