Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Need Help Finding The Right Buckle

Wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good belt buckle that won't give me a rash on my belly. The ones I used in the military never bothered me but the ones from Tandy give me a rash. Anyone ever have this problem? If so what kind of buckle did you use? Oh if it helps I normally can only wear gold neckleses everything else gives me a rash. I know I am not the only one with that problem. Any help would be greatly!!! appreciated. Thank you. John

You have a nickle and copper allergy, possibly. You'll probably want stainless steel or other "hypoallergenic" metals for anything that has skin contact.

For a quick cheap fix, clear nail polish can be used to "lacquer" the metal of the Tandy buckles and should partially solve the problem for you for the buckles you currently have. It will need to be reapplied periodically as it does degrade and wear off. I use the nail polish on some copper cuffs I have, it keeps the verdigris off of me and that way I don't turn green and rashy. I have to reapply the nail polish about once every 2 or 3 months if I am wearing the cuffs daily.

Sounds like WinterBear is on the right track. Most of the cheaper buckles are nickle plated. Stainless or if you don't mind the change in look, solid brass buckles should avoid this problem.

Thank you for the replies. Solid brass or stainless would be the way to go then. Thank you for the help and your time. John

I’ve been looking for a good stainless steel belt buckle for some time

You can buy any type of specialty buckle but a plain SS buckle seems to be rare

Something somewhat robust for a 1 ½ gun belt

Anybody know of a good maker or place to buy?

I've been looking for a good stainless steel belt buckle for some time

You can buy any type of specialty buckle but a plain SS buckle seems to be rare

Something somewhat robust for a 1 ½ gun belt

Anybody know of a good maker or place to buy?

Check with Mast Harness. They make a lot of stainless steel buckles, and although they are made for harness and halter use, some look really sharp when used on a belt. Some of the high-end English equestrian clothing suppliers have done this for years, and that stuff ain't cheap! They have the "Clipped-Corner" square gun/money belt buckle you see in the "Packin' Iron" book in SS. I have several, and they are excellent.

Campchair

Edited by Campchair

Wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good belt buckle that won't give me a rash on my belly. The ones I used in the military never bothered me but the ones from Tandy give me a rash. Anyone ever have this problem? If so what kind of buckle did you use? Oh if it helps I normally can only wear gold neckleses everything else gives me a rash. I know I am not the only one with that problem. Any help would be greatly!!! appreciated. Thank you. John

I don't have the same problem, but I wear leather buckles because I play music in a band and Martin Guitars and Beard Dobros cost too much to be scratching all up with a belt buckle. Make yourself a leather belt buckle, I sell quite a few of them to musicians.

Ken

post-6362-085535400 1339898662_thumb.jpg

I don't have the same problem, but I wear leather buckles because I play music in a band and Martin Guitars and Beard Dobros cost too much to be scratching all up with a belt buckle. Make yourself a leather belt buckle, I sell quite a few of them to musicians.

Ken

That is a good idea. Never thought of that. Thank you. John