Spider

Juki DDL-555

I might have the opportunity to buy a Juki DDL-555 Industry Grade Sewing Machine. I am looking for something to make wallets and other fine leather items with. Does anyone know if this is a good deal. The machine is only $200.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/alexgarcia9974/IMG_1661.jpg

I dont know much about sewing machines, but I have heard Juki is a good brand.... it comes with the head (machine) and the motor, along with the table and peddles? I would think it is a good deal..... Get Art to weigh in on this....

here is one on ebay, just the head: http://cgi.ebay.com/JUKI-DDL-555-ONE-NEEDL...1QQcmdZViewItem

the starting price is $100.00 plus $75 shipping.... I would say for $200 you would be getting a damn good deal... just dont know if it is a good machine for what you need it for... if anything you can buy it, and resell it on ebay or here on LW....

here is one that is completed, head, table, and motor, for just over $300 plus freight:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JUKI-DDL-555-5-industr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe not worth it.... might just be good for cloth...

I asked if it was good for leather and they said that with a thicker needle it should be but I'm not sure if they're sure of it. Thought I would run it by the experts... ;)

Hi Spider,

I wouldn't consider the 555 a "leather" sewing machine. Lightweight industrial machine suitable for fabric or garment leather with the right needle and thread. Remember that these things come out of industrial locations so:

1. It might have a ton of mileage on it

2. It might have a 3450rpm or industrial voltage motor on it and no speed reducer, which means if the voltage is usable, it might go like a scalded bunny, not great for leatherwork. Even with a 1750rpm motor it will sew fast.

Now, for about $500, you can get a good Singer 111 or 211, stand and motor. A Pfaff 545 is also a good machine. Look on Craig's List for your area. I assume you are looking for a medium duty machine for sewing no more than 3/8 inch leather. If you want to go heavier, there are other machines for that.

Art

I might have the opportunity to buy a Juki DDL-555 Industry Grade Sewing Machine. I am looking for something to make wallets and other fine leather items with. Does anyone know if this is a good deal. The machine is only $200.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/alexgarcia9974/IMG_1661.jpg

The other alternative to address speed would be a servo motor. I agree, though, a 555 would not be on the top of the list for leather. IF (big if) it's in good shape, it would certainly be an option for light work, though. You'd want to change out or blunt the feed dogs at a minimum.

Bill

Ok, this is gonna sound amature but oh well....YOU GUYS  ROCK!!! Ok, I had to say it...lol Thank you for your information. I keep getting amazed by the wealth of knowledge in this sight. NICE!!!

:rockon:

I got screwed into buying a sewing machine from a sales guy - I thought I asked all the right questions, and all that, and he told me yes, it was perfect for leather work and all that.... I get it, no... no way.... I felt burnt... then I realized what I should have before I started the transaction, He is a sales man trying to sell the damn thing.... I should have went to an impartial source of info before buying to ask about it....

10 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

So you shouldn't do it the way I said too?

My comment is an addition to your instructions.  After typing the @ plus the whole username, if I don't pick it from the popup list, it doesn't work for me.  Example @burkhardt, the tag doesn't complete or work.  Might work with other browsers.

11 hours ago, Northmount said:

My comment is an addition to your instructions.  After typing the @ plus the whole username, if I don't pick it from the popup list, it doesn't work for me.  Example @burkhardt, the tag doesn't complete or work.  Might work with other browsers.

Gotcha, the picking from the list is what I didn't get. Never noticed it wouldn't pick it up from not using list before. Learned something new.