Nick69

Just Secured A Singer 29K4

Quite excited as I just secured a Singer 29K4. It needs a bit of work but looks reasonably sound. I will take some snaps when I pick it on Tuesday afternoon.

Nick

Ok, I wondered if someone could offer some help.

After getting the machine home and giving it a good dose of looking at, it appears I need a shuttle body and bobbins. Problem is there appears to be large and small of each. Which size do I need?

Thanks

Nick

the 29-4 will only use the small one.........

I see this is an older post, but if your still out there, can you tell me how the machine sews and what type thread do you use and what weight will it take? Thanks Stu (Gainesvilleman)

This is an old post, so I will answer your question.

A Singer 29 type is a top feed only machine, using teeth on the presser foot to pull the material to form stitches. The feed can be rotated 360 degrees, meaning it sews in any direction.

There were four types of these machines made:

1. Short arm small bobbin
  2. Short arm larger bobbin
  3. Long arm small bobbin
  4. Larger arm bigger bobbin

The short arm is 12" long. The long arm is about 18". The small bobbin is the only one available in the ancient 29-4. Later models, having K designations were eventually produced with the large bobbin option and a removable gearbox to hold all the bobbin drive components.

The sewing capacity is limited by the height of the foot in action. It usually works out to a maximum of 1/4 inch on a 29-4. The machine may require some readjustment to get this lift. Keep in mind that the foot needs to clear the leather so it can move forward for the next stitch. The height of the foot is controlled by a sliding block with a thumbscrew, that moves along the tension spring along the rear side of the machine. Slide it all the way to the right for maximum lift.

The thread handling capacity of your 29-4 is #69 bonded thread. The machines used to use system 29x3 and 29x4 needles. However, these are no longer made by any of the major needle manufacturers. Instead, patcher owners had to switch to system 135x15 and 135x16 (walking foot) needles. The most commonly used sizes of needle in patchers is #16 and #18. You can install larger needles, but may not be able to also load it with heavier thread. It depends on how tight and well timed your machine is. Assume that #69 is your thread size and feel blessed if it handles #92 (with a #19 or #20 needle) as well.

The stitch length varies with the thickness under the foot. A brand new patcher could sew up to 5 to the inch into 4-6 ounces of shoe upper leather. But, that usually drops to 6 to the inch at 1/4 inch. An old worn out machine will be lucky to get 7 or 8 to the inch, at any thickness.

IHTH

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thank you Wizcrafts, I read a lot of your post, I do not do to much writing but do get in when I have a question. The Singer 29K4 has been motorized and thoughts on that, again thanks Stu...

Great info (as always) Wiz! I think you meant a 135 X 17 not 15. Steve

Thank you Wizcrafts, I read a lot of your post, I do not do to much writing but do get in when I have a question. The Singer 29K4 has been motorized and thoughts on that, again thanks Stu...

Both of my patchers have little 1.5 amp motors on the back. They are somewhat useful, but need manual help to start. Keep #69 thread in your machine and it will sew farther. Use it for patches on vests, purse and sandal repairs, an occasional zipper replacement and to sew loose pull tabs on boots, or to resew loose panels on shoe uppers, and the like. Don't try to sew anything really dense. The machine is over 100 years old. Be nice to it and it will be nice to you.

Great info (as always) Wiz! I think you meant a 135 X 17 not 15. Steve

Thanks Steve. I only have one cup of coffee when I typed that mistake.

135x16 is leather point and only for leather. 135x17 is standard sharp point, for cloth and synthetics.

Great info, will put it to good use, and thanks...