Sign in to follow this  

I've been reading up on antiquing and this is my first attempt. I've used Hi-Lighter and antique paste before, but never the way you're supposed to. I tried the new technique and am pretty happy with the result, this site was a great help and is a great wealth of information and tips. I'm gonna practice this technique and get better at it as well as sheridan style carving. The belt is 1-1/2" so the carving is pretty small, probably should have tried a bigger carving for my first antique job.

Ken

post-6362-037191700 1337102879_thumb.jpg

post-6362-021260500 1337102882_thumb.jpg

post-6362-053753300 1337102884_thumb.jpg

Dang--- I thik that's good. I'm impressed on the depth of your bevel and tooling. Are you using any type in tools that seem to give you a better resolve or just giving it a sound poundin' - i have tandy tools so far

thanks for the look

Dang--- I thik that's good. I'm impressed on the depth of your bevel and tooling. Are you using any type in tools that seem to give you a better resolve or just giving it a sound poundin' - i have tandy tools so far

thanks for the look

Thanks,

The beveling was done with Barry King bevelers I have four different sizes, the pedal lifting was also Barry King pedal lifters and the Thumbprints are, you guessed it Barry King. Barry makes great tools, I have several Tandy tools as well, some are the older ones but I have some new ones. The new ones aren't the same quality of the old crafttools. If you get a chance and are serious about carving check out Barry King tools on the web, they are great people to talk with and very good to deal with. Additionally, the casing of the leather has a lot to do with the amout of depth you get on your beveling, I didn't pound any of these strikes they are all light taps onto well cased leather. Thanks for the very nice comments.

Ken

thanks Ken ---I do hear good things about Barry King tools... likely time for me to get a few and upgrade. i have completed a couple sheridan style but they seem too busy compared

regards

Great job Chief. The tooling has some nice definition. As for BK. I have his bevelers, and you are spot on. Properly cased leather and tap, tap, nice and defined.

Jon