Sign in to follow this  
LeatherCaptain

Stamping Harness Leather

Hello,

I'm wondering if the side of show harness leather I received from W&C will take stamping at all. I think the oil/wax content will make it nearly impossible for it to retain any moisture or the form from the stamp. I guess I can try it tonight but I was hoping someone might have some input.

Thanks in advance!

Never tried it myself, but when I was looking at harness leather the fellow who was showing it too me said you can case in warm/hot water, which will soften the wax and allow some stamping/embossing.

Never tried it myself, but when I was looking at harness leather the fellow who was showing it too me said you can case in warm/hot water, which will soften the wax and allow some stamping/embossing.

OK. This is looking pomising. I'm going to give it a try tonight. I'm sure I'll be able to leave a mark but I'm mainly concerned about the retention over time. I'm thinking the leather will swell back out and loose the stamping.

The stamping wont last long. You might try their bridle leather instead. Ive had good luck with patterns staying with it.

The stamping wont last long. You might try their bridle leather instead. Ive had good luck with patterns staying with it.

I'm sure I read in a harness making book that they do keepers with die-pressed patterns on them, and they stay pretty well. No personal experience though.