Sign in to follow this  
hazymat

How To Construct Corners

Hi

I'm sure this is a common problem, but I'm trying to construct corners at the bottom of a bag that look like this:

post-30657-013622700 1337571738_thumb.jp

I prototyped the corner using much thinner leather that I will use for the bag, to look like this:

post-30657-010250900 1337571937_thumb.jp

But it's quite messy.

Then I cut rectangles out of the side and bottom piece like this:

post-30657-038634300 1337572018_thumb.jp

Which gives the following look:

post-30657-054705400 1337572041_thumb.jp

If you imagine adding the front and back pieces of the bag to the above photo, you would then stitch through three layers on each side at the very corners.

Problem is, I think this looks quite messy still.

I really want the bottom corners to look like this (check out the second image which shows side view): http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase-Thin?sc=8&category=83

However I'm not sure the leather I am using will bend quite as easily as the one shown on Saddleback's site.

I'm finding it pretty hard to visualise. Is there a foolproof way of getting nice corners?

Thanks!

If you're trying to make a three piece gusset the piece in the center for the bottom needs to have the notches cut out of the sides.

I really want the bottom corners to look like this (check out the second image which shows side view): http://www.saddlebac...c=8&category=83

[/quote

The corners of that bag are not constructed as you are trying. a 2 gusset bag is a front, back and a middle with 2 long gussets that go across the sides and down the bottom. That bag in your avatar, which I assume you made looks much the same. I use 5oz leather and it works fine.

post-6407-000101700 1337575730_thumb.jpg pic of front gusset being attached to bag

post-6407-057619800 1337575510_thumb.jpg side view of the same bag done

Edited by Scary Leatherworks

The corners of that bag are not constructed as you are trying. a 2 gusset bag is a front, back and a middle with 2 long gussets that go across the sides and down the bottom. That bag in your avatar, which I assume you made looks much the same. I use 5oz leather and it works fine.

Thanks for that.

(The bag that was in my avatar was in fact not mine, it was something I was looking at on this forum last night by another user, I must have accidentally set it as my profile picture! I removed it now...)

I'm using 8oz cowhide shoulder to make a rugged bag, however I want the bag to be quite thin (each gusset would be 4cm wide, and would have a curved cross section to pull the compartment size in to more like 3cm or less). I was thinking of wet forming the cross section of the gusset as it's quite thick leather and otherwise it might not stay with the curved cross section. I've never done anything like this before so I may be way off!

I initially thought each gusset would have to be in 3 pieces (two sides and a bottom) due to the fact that I'd never get 8oz thickness leather around a bend. (Of course, the leather goes around the bend fine, but not when the gusset is also curved lengthways.)

Am I mad for trying to make this design from such thick leather?

Hope the above makes sense. I'm a complete novice when it comes to all aspects of leather, let alone sewing - I'm learning as I go.

Edited by hazymat

Thanks for that.

I'm using 8oz cowhide shoulder to make a rugged bag, however I want the bag to be quite thin

Hope the above makes sense. I'm a complete novice when it comes to all aspects of leather, let alone sewing - I'm learning as I go.

Yes, you may be mad for trying it :) wet forming might do the trick. the Gussets being only 4cm and 8oz may be overkill though. When you have to stitch the center (middle separator and 2 gussets) it's going to be 24oz thick. you could probably use much thinner material for the gussets but I also understand how it is when you get an idea and you want to MAKE it work. Make the bends on each side of your gusset a bit wider than you want them to end up partly because you lose some around the corners. Also with an 8oz gusset it and only 4cm wide it won't want to "accordion" in but then you were only hoping to gain a cm

This book will show you how to make a three piece gusset.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Leatherworking-Handbook-Illustrated-Sourcebook/dp/0304345113

Thanks for that.

(The bag that was in my avatar was in fact not mine, it was something I was looking at on this forum last night by another user, I must have accidentally set it as my profile picture! I removed it now...)

I'm using 8oz cowhide shoulder to make a rugged bag, however I want the bag to be quite thin (each gusset would be 4cm wide, and would have a curved cross section to pull the compartment size in to more like 3cm or less). I was thinking of wet forming the cross section of the gusset as it's quite thick leather and otherwise it might not stay with the curved cross section. I've never done anything like this before so I may be way off!

I initially thought each gusset would have to be in 3 pieces (two sides and a bottom) due to the fact that I'd never get 8oz thickness leather around a bend. (Of course, the leather goes around the bend fine, but not when the gusset is also curved lengthways.)

Great! You'll be happy you did. There's so much info in there. You're in the UK. If I was over there I would take some of her classes.

Thanks! Just bought it on Amazon...