Rodw

N00B Question About Identifying Leather

I went with a friend of mine to a place he calls "Bootblack Heaven" this weekend and stumbled across some largish (to me) pieces of leather. Nothing was marked, priced, or labeled in anyway. Just leather strewn about the place. I found a piece I thought might be useful. I listened a little to the guys in the shop talking and they didn't seem very friendly. Being the stupid shopper I am, I neglected to ask any questions other than how much for this piece.

I assume I have a piece of cow, perhaps a shoulder (according to my mother, who has done some leatherwork in the 1970's). However, I have no idea how it was tanned; and, as I understand it, leather can be tanned using a vegetable process or a chromium process(?). Is there anyway to tell how something was tanned by look and feel, or some chemical test on a corner of the piece of hide?

I know, I know, I know. I should have asked questions before buying. In my defense, it was a very overwhelming and intimidating experience and the staff were not very friendly. And sadly, there are not a lot of options in one of the largest cities in the US for purchasing leather and/or tools.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers!

Rod W

Chicago, IL

Edited to add: I did look through the forums for a while to try to find my answer, so if this is a repeat question and I missed it, kindly post the link. I tried the search function, too, I promise.

Edited by Rodw

Hi there. Can you describe it a bit more? What does it look like? Feel like? Color?

Take a look at the cut edges, better yet, cut off a small piece.

-Is the exposed center blueish or greyish? If so, you probably have chrome tan.

-If it does not have a blue or grey center, but is a color than tan all the way through, it is most likely some type of leather that is "struck through", which is typically, but not always something other than veg tan.

-Is it tan on the surface (grain and flesh side), and is it about the same color as the surface in the middle? You may have veg tan.

If it is tan all the way through or colored the same all the way through, the next step is immersing your cut off piece in water. Does the water absorb? Does pressing it with the edge of a spoon/penny/fingernail leave a darker dent/mark that stays even after the leather dries completely or does it maintain a shape after drying? If so, it is probably a veg tan or a russet tooling leather (if it is sort of a reddish color).

Chrome tans are generally (but not always) softer and more drapey that tooling leather of a similar thickness. Chrome leathers are also more likely to have a distinct grain, have a waxy or shiny surface, be dyed, and/or be embossed (some veg tan comes pre-embossed or has a grain, but typically not so much).

Here is a photo. I should have included it earlier. Does this help?

post-31668-094734200 1337651338_thumb.jp

Not a veg tan with the darker surface. Looks like maybe a latigo or a leather with a pull-up finish maybe...? Not sure. We'll need more of an expert I think to decide what kind exactly you have. Looks a nice piece though.

FWIW I got it at I Sachs Sons in Chicago which is a shoe supply place.

You probably have a nice piece of actual shoe leather then. You won't be able to tool it since it's not veg tan, but it can be made into other things depending on its temper. Bags, handbags, and wallets are all possibilities.

Winterbear is probobly on the right track. If you got it from a shoe maker, there is a good chance that it is some type of oil tan or latigo. Can't really tell from the photo, but looks like it is something in the medium thickness, 4 to 6 oz, something around there. That's what I'd typically think of as bag leather.

Well just for grins and giggles I decided to cut a small piece off that large chunk of leather I bought a while back. Ran it under some water for a minute to wet it (it sucked up a lot) waited a bit and then tried to stamp it. Guess what? It took the stampings. Mom says it doesn't appear to be chromium tanned. After it completely dries, we're going to try dying the little scrap and see how it takes the dye. I'll keep you posted.

Well just for grins and giggles I decided to cut a small piece off that large chunk of leather I bought a while back. Ran it under some water for a minute to wet it (it sucked up a lot) waited a bit and then tried to stamp it. Guess what? It took the stampings. Mom says it doesn't appear to be chromium tanned. After it completely dries, we're going to try dying the little scrap and see how it takes the dye. I'll keep you posted.

Well, since it's summer... why not try to make yourself a pair of sandals?

Here's a link to an e-book on how to do it.

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1153-sandal-making.aspx?

Thanks Sylvia.

It doesn't look like veg-tan to me either. It looks like some oiled leather like I have. I guess the real question is.... will it hold the stamping impression?

It doesn't look like veg-tan to me either. It looks like some oiled leather like I have. I guess the real question is.... will it hold the stamping impression?

It seems to be holding them.

If you pull the leather and color changes to pale.. then when it is left to retain its original shape then it will get back to its original color.. this is oil pull up leather which is definitely chrome tanned and not veg...