Hey Reddevil - im curious as to what program you have used for the templates ? I've tried to use InDesign but it's so complicated I gave up after making a rectangle !

Cheers

Hi, before this, i was using paper, pencil and a french curve set.

Later on, a colleague gave me a 1995 version of MS Visio, which is what you saw. But I found that it is a very obscure software, and when I sent it to template makers, they are unable to use it.

I would go with John's advise instead. Searching Corel now!

Thanks guys.

Well, since we started talking about pattern making software, my vote goes to Inkscape.

Being a linux user my software choice is a bit limited, however, you don't really need much more than gimp for bitmap images and inkscape for vector graphics. Both are free. Both are available for windows (although I don't know how well they perform in an alien system) and both support graphics tablet input which sometimes comes in handy.

PS vector graphics is what you need to use if you want to avoid distortion while stretching that JohnBarton is talking about. While you can draw cutting patterns right in inkscape, for carving patterns you can do the following:

My usual course of digitising a hand-drawn pattern or a bitmap image from the internet is:

1) Open image in gimp;

2) Remove all colour. All you need is black and white;

3) Increase contrast (or play with light curves if you know what you're doing) to highlight curves;

4) Copy the image to inkscape

5) Transform the bitmap to path.

6) You've got your digitised carving pattern.

Edited by Chavez

I really like the look of the long wallet, it's a very nice, clean look. I'm actually using it as the inspiration of my first project. I'm just king of free-eyeing the pictures of the finished product and making up templates and prototypes that are similar, but not the same as, your design. I hope you don't mind, heh.

Again, very nice items.

Edited by Tzalabak

Hi, before this, i was using paper, pencil and a french curve set.

Later on, a colleague gave me a 1995 version of MS Visio, which is what you saw. But I found that it is a very obscure software, and when I sent it to template makers, they are unable to use it.

I would go with John's advise instead. Searching Corel now!

Most industrial die makers use AutoCad so you can send them .dxf files. In corel and probably in inkscape you can export or save as dxf and it should be fine. I always ask if I can send corel files as well for control purposes. Most of the time they also have corel. For that you can send the files as .cmx instead of .cdr and that will generally open up across versions.

Reddevil - Awesome work! I have a (possibly stupid) question regarding your pricking iron method. Are you just making holes on one piece of leather and using an awl to go through the other piece after lining up? Or do you punch holes in both pieces seperately and match them up together before sewing? Thanks!

I really like the look of the long wallet, it's a very nice, clean look. I'm actually using it as the inspiration of my first project. I'm just king of free-eyeing the pictures of the finished product and making up templates and prototypes that are similar, but not the same as, your design. I hope you don't mind, heh.

Again, very nice items.

No, of course I don't mind. Cheers!

Reddevil - Awesome work! I have a (possibly stupid) question regarding your pricking iron method. Are you just making holes on one piece of leather and using an awl to go through the other piece after lining up? Or do you punch holes in both pieces seperately and match them up together before sewing? Thanks!

Hi JK, i punch straight through all layers after gluing them together with contact cement.

your stuff is really nice... Recently laid off and going to up my skill set to make $$. Your work is wonderful and I hope to get to your level soon.

What method do you use for your edge finishing?

Thanks so much

Lewis

On 5/24/2012 at 2:00 PM, Anacott Steel said:

You hand stitched that ? Now I hate you. Ok I'm kidding - that is just amazing work. Please please (i can beg more) make a video.

Don

For those that are interested in Oz to mm:

http://www.gnnusa.com/leather_thickness.htm

Update link - https://gnninternational.com/resources/leather-thickness-conversion-chart/