ASM

Consew Sk-6 Question Please Help

Hi All,

Being my first post I would like to say Hello. I have read this forum for over a year and have found it incredibly useful !! I am ready to embark on my first machine purchase and was hoping that someone could give me a Yea or Nea for the machine I am looking at.

It is the Consew SK-6. Mainly I will be making holsters and belts , along with dog collars and some maybe some lighter work on leather clutch purses ect. And need to know if this is overkill or suitable for my needs. Any info would be much appreciated and look forward to be posting more on the forum . Thanks so much in advance!

Steve

Below is a link to some specs but not who I will be purchasing from:)

Link to spec's

Impressive specs. It will sew just over 1/2 inch. It uses system 214 needles, which are the same ones used in the CB2500 and GA5-1 type machines. These needles are available in sizes starting at #23, so the machine is not going to useful with thread thinner than #138. It is definitely overkill for anything under 10 ounces thickness. But, it looks like it will sew holsters, collars and harness up to 1/2 inch thick, with #277 bonded nylon or bonded polyester thread (using a #25 needle).

You will need a smaller industrial machine for wallets and normal thickness belts. Most walking foot machines will serve this purpose, if geared down, or equipped with a servo motor with good slow speed range..

Wizcrafts,

Thank you for your response. This is all very helpful since I am new to sewing machines. You pointed out about the needle size that I did not know about. I thought this machine would be able to take a smaller needle to do lighter work and be a good all around machine. I now see I have been mistaken.

Thanks again

Steve.

This limited range of needle sizes in system 214 is not well known. I only learned about it a half year ago. That is not to say that these needles were never made in smaller sizes and that some dealers might still have new old stock of smaller sizes in 214. But, the chances that they are leather point is small.

For instance, I have a Cowboy 441 clone, which uses type 7x3 or 794 needles. The leather point needles for it start with number 23 and go up. But, I have a full range going down to #18, with a regular sharp point. This is probable a supply and demand situation where more users want standard needles for cloth, vinyl, webbing and sails.

UPDATE:

I just found a source of system 214x1 (328) needles going from size 18 up to 27. There is no mention of leather point, so they are probably regular rounds.

Edited by Wizcrafts

ASM;

I found that system 214x2 is a leather point needle for the machine you are looking at. I see some available in boxes of 100, in sizes 18 through 27. I'd guess other dealers may offer them in packs of ten.

We have them as small as #21 in a leather point.

This is a good machine but to be honest with you it would be better for nylon than leather as it has feed dogs that will leave teeth marks on the bottom of the leather.

Bob

Wizcraft , thanks for digging up all that info for me. This is all new to me so It would have taken me forever to find the needle info out.

Bob , Thank you also for pointing out the issue about the machine leaving marks. I guess Im back to square one in trying to find a machine that will suit most of my needs. Im going to bring some scrap leather with me this weekend when I go back to look at some other machines.

Steve

Steve;

What's your budget?

Steve;

What's your budget?

Between 1k-2k Id like to stay closer to 1K but I know the chances are slim :)

I do have another question that I could not find the answer for with doing an actual comarison. Ive been hand stitching using the typical stitching awl waxed thread from Tandy, Do you know what size this matches in the machine threads. Since this would probably be the thickest I use, I can focus on a machine that handles that size.

Edited by ASM

Between 1k-2k Id like to stay closer to 1K but I know the chances are slim :)

I do have another question that I could not find the answer for with doing an actual comarison. Ive been hand stitching using the typical stitching awl waxed thread from Tandy, Do you know what size this matches in the machine threads. Since this would probably be the thickest I use, I can focus on a machine that handles that size.

Call the dealers listed in ads on top of each forum page and ask what they can do for you.

Alternately, or if no happy happy, see the Machinery > Sewing Machines > Used section of Marketplace for second hand triple feed 441 type machines.

The heavy waxed thread from Tandy is #554, which is not sew-able on most eye-needle machines. It can however be used on a Union Lockstitch machine, with a #4 or #5 needle and a #5 or #6 awl. I have some of this thread, by my needles and awls are too small, number-wise. I've been thinking about getting a few larger needles and awls so I can experiment with this thread (which I have in 3 different colors). My machine uses a barbed needle, just like the hand stitching awl you may be using.

For a little more than you plan to spend, you could buy my ULS machine off me!

Thanks for all the info you have given me. Very much appreciated. I am going to a local guy down here in Atlanta first and see what he has. . But I will definitely look in the used section as you suggested for that type of machine.also

Steve

FYI;

The Seiko you are looking at uses system 214 needles. About the strongest thread you can expect to use is #346 on top and #277 in the bobbin. That would call for a #26 needle.

If you were to try to sew with the linen thread you are hand stitching with, you would probably need a #30 needle. The wax would gum up the tensioners, guides and the eye of the needle. It would possibly also get stuck going around the shuttle.

FYI;

The Seiko you are looking at uses system 214 needles. About the strongest thread you can expect to use is #346 on top and #277 in the bobbin. That would call for a #26 needle.

If you were to try to sew with the linen thread you are hand stitching with, you would probably need a #30 needle. The wax would gum up the tensioners, guides and the eye of the needle. It would possibly also get stuck going around the shuttle.

I just wanted a size comparison with the two . I did not know what size machine thread was equal to in thickness as the hand sewing thread I use. This way I can look for machines that take that thickness of thread. I guess the best way would bring some of the stuff I use and match to what they have in the store.

I have a plastic caliper and measured my #277 and #554 thread. The best units were millimeters. The #277 is 1/2 mm and the #554 is 1 mm. In SAE, it looks like the 277 is about 1/64" and #554 is about 1/32 inch. #346 is in between those diameters.

The needle size required to sew with #277, top and bottom, is either a #25 or #26. To sew #554 would require a machine capable of being fitted with a #28 or bigger needle. To avoid getting waxed thread stuck in the eye, a #30 needle would be best.

It really boils down to what diameter the thread is that you want to use.

FWIIW: I tried machine sewing with pre-waxed linen thread in the past and it didn't work out. However, I am able to sew with dry glazed Barbour's Irish Linen Thread, run through a liquid wax pot as I sew. I can do this on my Union Lockstitch machine, using Lax Wax. Again, it has a barbed needle and separate awl, not a closed eye.

Let us know how you make out at your local shop.

FYI: I think that #554 waxed linen is 7 cord thread. Most shoe sole stitchers will sew pre-waxed linen thread, of at least 7 cords diameter. They weigh over 500 pounds and have very little throat depth, but will do edge stitching through very hard leather, with very thick linen thread.

Hopefully I come home with what I need tomorrow. Thanks again for input, you have been very helpful !