Sorry for all these ?, but I'm just getting started and trying to learn as much as I can. My ? about mauls is : I plan to purchase two sizes. One 16 oz. for tooling and a 48 oz. for punching. Is this a good comb for these jobs ? And do I need to go low or high on anyone ? Thanks for the help. Lynn

I use a 16 oz for tooling and have a 14 oz on order. I use a 24 oz for punching. What do you plan on punching with a 48 oz maul. I cna do 1 1/2" strap ends with one or two hits.

strap ends

If your punch is sharp. One to tow blows with a 24oz should do it. I just can't see hanging onto 3 pounds of maul. But, you may like it. It may be a good idea to try the 16oz on strap ends first. Judge then what the next size should be. But, everybody has a preference. In nay event you will like using a maul

Edited by Bluesman

Bluesman, This is all new to me and have never handle or use one. I'm going by what I've been reading. I do know with practice I will find what does work but I need to start so where. Thanks for the info and help. Lynn

Sorry for all these ?, but I'm just getting started and trying to learn as much as I can. My ? about mauls is : I plan to purchase two sizes. One 16 oz. for tooling and a 48 oz. for punching. Is this a good comb for these jobs ? And do I need to go low or high on anyone ? Thanks for the help. Lynn

16oz is a great all around maul for tooling, light punching, etc. For strap ends, hole punching in thicker leather, etc. a 28-32oz should be perfectly fine. 48oz is a pretty beefy maul unless you're using cheap/dull tools or your leather is extra thick (12oz+).

OK folks will drop down in size for punching,Thanks again for the help.Lynn

1338409642[/url]' post='250406']

16oz is a great all around maul for tooling, light punching, etc. For strap ends, hole punching in thicker leather, etc. a 28-32oz should be perfectly fine. 48oz is a pretty beefy maul unless you're using cheap/dull tools or your leather is extra thick (12oz+).

Does it make a difference if a person normally works in the lighter weights of leathers for the weight recommendations for the maul? I am leaning towards a 14 oz, but wanted to check if my reasoning is sound.

Does it make a difference if a person normally works in the lighter weights of leathers for the weight recommendations for the maul? I am leaning towards a 14 oz, but wanted to check if my reasoning is sound.

The 16oz is what I use for tooling on 4-9oz leathers, which is why i say it's a good all around maul. 14oz should be fine as well but the extra is nice to have occasionally.

I also have a 9oz for very light leathers and for fine detail tooling and a 21oz for heavy backgrounding/basketweaves, etc. along with the 28oz for punching. Worst case, if the 14 oz ends up being light later on you can always get a second one! ;)

The 16oz is what I use for tooling on 4-9oz leathers, which is why i say it's a good all around maul. 14oz should be fine as well but the extra is nice to have occasionally.

I also have a 9oz for very light leathers and for fine detail tooling and a 21oz for heavy backgrounding/basketweaves, etc. along with the 28oz for punching. Worst case, if the 14 oz ends up being light later on you can always get a second one! ;)

Thanks Spinner. The info is really helpful. I imagine over time a person ends up with many of different weights , a true maul collection lol,but for now I have to pick one that will do for most things.