I am going to make some belts and was wondering what everyone uses for punching the holes and what do you use for cutting the tips of your belts. For the holes do you use a rotating type of hole punch or do you use the handle like punches that you hit with a maul. And for the tips do you use a strap end punch or do you cut them with your head knife? Thanks DC

For many many years I used a rotating punch for the holes and trimmed the tip with a knife. I measured then marked the tip before I cut. I sure made a lot of belts using those methods and it worked fine.

Since I have ramped up my processes in the last few years I use an oval drive punch (actually called a "belt punch,") to punch the holes. It's a small thing, but I think the oval holes give a belt a more finished look and I believe it makes it easier to buckle a ranger style buckle with a loose tongue. I use two sets of dividers to speed up the location of the holes.

I also have some strap end punches for the tips. They make short work of that job.

Having said that, you can make yourself some templates of different width belt's/straps and use those and a knife and it won't take much longer to do a very good job. There are some places that sell plastic templates for belt tips and billets, Grey Ghost Graphics being one.

Bill

Thanks Gringo-Good info there.

My comments are the same as Bill's. I think he must have read my post before I posted it! LOLevillaugh.gif

Bob

Can anyone recommend where to get a good quality set of belt punches and maybe the strap end cutter? Im sure tandy has them but i would like a quality set if possible. DC

DC,

PM or call me. I've got a good using set of 1-1/2" Osborne strap end punches in round and English point, #5 oval punch for the holes.

thanks bruce.