SandSquid

Adventures At Youth Summer Camp

Yesterday, was Day -1. my family and I drove the 2.5 hours from our home to Summer Camp, where we have been blessed with the ability to teach our passion, archery to 2,000+ youngsters across12 weeks of summer camp for the past few summers. We will continue to do this as long as we are able.

This summer I'm branching out and going to try and revive the stagnant leather-working portion of the Arts&Crafts program...

Today is Day 0, a rest and relaxation "get your head together" day, tomorrow the first group of kids arrive.

When I'm not on the archery range, this will be my second home:

post-30477-066841200 1338130024_thumb.jp

It's not much but it's a roof....

--

John Gunterman @

Lakeshore UMA

1458 Pilot Knob Rd.

Eva, TN 38333

http://lakeshoreuma.com/main/

Edited by SandSquid

Looks pretty good compared to some of the things I've seen and used. How many kids will you be teaching at a time?

How many kids will you be teaching at a time?

Depends on each kid.

Once at the Craft Hut, each child is free to explore whatever interest them at the time:

• braiding gimp
  • tie dyeing
  • beading
  • friendship bracelets
  • painting rocks
  • leatherworking

Edited by SandSquid

Sounds like fun. Will you be teaching all of that, or just the leatherworking?

Do you have a good hammering substrate for the stamps, punches, whatever? If you find the tables have too much bounce, can I suggest what I've seen put to good use at one of the camps I was at? Cheap to make too if they've got a log pile you can raid. The best surface I found at the local camps around here was where someone took sections of log about 2 ft high and over 1 ft in diameter with perpendicular cuts and a level top and bottom. Some logs were bigger, about 2 ft in diameter and nearly 3 ft tall, but these were impossible for one adult to move easily.

They'd debarked the logs and varnished the sides, but the top (cut surface) was raw endgrain wood--as the surface got beat up, they would run a sander across it once or twice a summer to smooth it out again. A metal strap was set into a groove about 6 inches from either end and in the middle to prevent splitting on some, and on all of the logs, they'd secured two thick leather handles to the sides with screws so that the instructor (or two kids) could pick the logs up and bring them into the storage area easily (usually to be laid on their sides and stacked under one of the tables). When in use, the logs were set up on a concrete slab with a short stool the kids could sit on with their legs on either side of the log, or if they were taller, they could kneel or squat, or even sit flat sort of cross legged with the log cradled behind their knees and against their thighs--this was the best way, as the kids were right above their work and their legs held the log steadier. Because the logs were semi portable, they could be moved out to the sun if the light in the huts was too dim (often was) or under a roof or tarped area to one side of the hut if it was raining.

Sounds like fun. Will you be teaching all of that, or just the leatherworking?

No, no.. I have ZERO artistic ability

I'll just hang out at a table w/ some projects and be there in case any kid want to do leatherworking

Do you have a good hammering substrate for the stamps, punches, whatever?

I got some headstones (to be used upside down) from the local monument maker:

post-30477-002417000 1337792074_thumb.jp

Because the logs were semi portable, they could be moved out to the sun if the light in the huts was too dim (often was) or under a roof or tarped area to one side of the hut if it was raining.

Yeah I was out there this AM and it was really pretty dim, but it is what it is.

I think for the basic punches it will be OK. I doubt anybody is going to tackle basketweave, etc.

Terrific. I have a feeling you're going to be a popular instructor.

I bet those headstones weigh a ton! No possible bounce on those things.

Do you have any lighting options, or is this hut unwired? If it is unwired, they sell solar powered "shed" lights where the PV cell can be mounted outside in the sun and a 10 or 15 ft cord to a bar or spotlight that is placed in the dim area.

Terrific. I have a feeling you're going to be a popular instructor.

As long as the kiddies don;t mind the occasional :censored2: expletive.

I bet those headstones weigh a ton!

the "small" grey ones 12'x24'x4" are about 100#, the pinkish one below it is easily 150#

after placing one this morning, I have some serious doubts about the integrity of the picnic tables...

Do you have any lighting options, or is this hut unwired?

There are 4 incandescent bulbs in the ceiling, that is all...

they sell solar powered "shed" lights

aye but those cost money....

Edited by SandSquid

Just be Glad you are not living in the Wildneress Camp....or are you.... :red_bandana:

Just be Glad you are not living in the Wildneress Camp....or are you.... :red_bandana:

That'd be a slightly longer hike, but no we are at "Tent & Trailer". <you can see the front of my wife's car in that photo ;-)

We do share the hygiene facilities with them though.

Well, it might be worthwhile to have a camp "wish list", maybe not for solar lights, but for more or better lights in general? You'd be surprised how often someone who went to the camp when they were a kid, or whose kid had a good time there, or just wants to be active in the camp, church, and community will put money or time towards youth camps and youth programs. Sometimes, all you have to do is let people know of the need. I've seen everything found somehow from curtains for cabins to wheelchair access ramps to instruction pavilions to a new roof and a showerhouse (not all at the same camp of course).

Right now, a supply of leather is at the top of my list of very important thing to acquire...

Gotta sell some wrist bands, so I can buy more/bigger pieces of leather for other projects.

I taught handicrafts at BSA summer camps for 4 years, and had a great time. I taught woodcarving, leatherworking,and basketry.

Getting supplies was always fun, and we did get donations at times. We got several old USPS mail bags for the leather one year. I saved a couple that were too nice to cut up. Depending on the projects to be made, a thrift store may donate some purses, jackets, bags, etc. that are too rough to sell. These can be made into many other things once disassembled.You may be surprised at what kids will make from a pile of scraps. We made a lot of lace out of scraps using the black plastic lace maker that Tandy sells. Tooling leather was the toughest to get. The plastic lacing was a favorite to braid into various lanyards, zipper pulls, key fobs, etc. Probably the most made factory kit was the pocketknife sheath.

Have fun!

Getting supplies was always fun,

I've quickly learned that Leatherworking is probably the single most cost intensive activity offered at the craft hut, just because of the cost of the raw materials. If it weren't for the donation of scraps and use of the strap cutter, I'd be dead in the water here.... Over the next few days between archery classes, I'm going to make up a jig to accurately (and safely) cut the straps into appropriate lengths and mark the locations for the lacing holes. The number and letter stamp sets, groover, hole punch set, etc. should be here in a few days, they supposedly left Springfield Leather on Friday.

Archery is cancelled for today! Severe thunderstorms in progress....

I don't think standing outside with aluminum arrows in our hands is prudent.

I sure hope that order from Springfield Leather gets here today, and EARLY.. We NEED some "indoor activities"

Squid:

I think I might have a set of stamps you can have. It's from a "real leather" set... nothing fantastic it's nice and small so the kids can do "Native American" images like arrows and stuff.

Send me your address at the Camp and I'll send it first class today or tomorrow I'll never use it so I'd be willing to give it up to a good cause.

Oooo found some tools from a Deluxe Kit that I won't use either... so those are in your package too. :)

Come on folks... let's set these kids up!!

Well, I used the rained-out time I would have spent teaching archery this morning cutting the 1" strips into useable lengths, we got :

(135) @ 8" long "Large" - will fit a full sized adalt

(50) @ 6" long "Small"

post-30477-053042000 1338326853_thumb.jp

That should keep some kiddies happy for awhile!

Edited by SandSquid

I'll send you a box of pieces for the postage. Their most 10/12 and 12/14 oz if you can use em. They will be bigger pieces but their not big enough for what i make or a bad place on em. If you want em yet me know and ill mail them next week.

. If you want em yet me know and ill mail them next week.

That'd be awesome, thanks!

the address here is:

John Gunterman @

Lakeshore UMA

1458 Pilot Knob Rd.

Eva, TN 38333

I'll send you a PM and the weight on the box and how much the postage is and you can pick the box you want.

Things are starting to come together....

I did some digging/cleaning in the Craft Hut and think I found most/all of the leather-working stuff.

The stamps are pretty old and oxidized but leave good impressions. I really need to clean them up somehow as I'm fearful they will stain the leather.

Then I want to make a inventory of all the stamps in a bigger piece of leather to hang on the wall so the kids will know what impression each stamp will make.

For challenges, I've taken the nice big heavy headstone/tooling slabs off the picnic table.

I need to come up with a way to beef up the supports and tops. Those tables are fine for tie-dyeing and rock painting but not leather-working.

They just cannot handle 200# of dead weight, never-mind the full 600# of all of them.

Full day of archery today so I don't know how much I'll get done.

found the remains of 4 sets of letter stamps.

Between them all I almost got one full set.

Just missing the "J".

post-30477-053974600 1338413999_thumb.jp

That's awesome that you found those stamps. Did your SLC leather come yet?

That's awesome that you found those stamps. Did your SLC leather come yet?

Yup, got the package from them and from you, THANKS...

The mystery braid is already a success!

Yup, got the package from them and from you, THANKS...

The mystery braid is already a success!

:) wow! that got there fast... I'm always amazed with first class shipping via Paypal.

I figured the kids would like the mystery braid... I remember being pretty enamored with it when I first learned it in class all those years ago.

I'm glad I could help even just a little. Have fun...

Edited by Sylvia