SandSquid

Adventures At Youth Summer Camp

After much frustration with trying to punch holes and tie the wrist straps/bracelettes, we've decided we really NEED to get snaps for them.

I'll send ya some snaps I have that might work. I have a bunch left over from a project, so I'll rummage them out tonight and drop in the mail, most likely by tomorrow. Do you have a set and anvil, or should I see if I have a spare?

I'll send ya some snaps I have that might work. I have a bunch left over from a project, so I'll rummage them out tonight and drop in the mail, most likely by tomorrow. Do you have a set and anvil, or should I see if I have a spare?

I can handle Line 20 as well as Line 24 now that I ordered (100) snaps and a Line 20 & Line 24 Snap Setter, and The Original Strap Cutter of my own, So I can cut more straps from scraps here.

Squid: Do you have a sharp punch for making the holes? The snaps need to fit in the hole pretty snug.

You could also try a closure I used on a prototype until the snaps arrive. It does require punches and a knife. On this one my straight cut was too long, you only need it long enough to accommodate the width of the other end. Here's some pictures.

Keep in mind the closure can be inserted from the outside to the inside provided there is enough room to do so... and this works best with pretty heavy and stiff leather.

Edited by Sylvia

I can handle Line 20 as well as Line 24 now that I ordered (100) snaps and a Line 20 & Line 24 Snap Setter, and The Original Strap Cutter of my own, So I can cut more straps from scraps here.

Just got that same setup from Kevin. It works great. Position the barrel over the snap insert drive punch and tap, tap, tap. Snap set nice and snug. The kids will be able to work with it once shown.

Squid: Do you have a sharp punch for making the holes? The snaps need to fit in the hole pretty snug.

I just got a 5-Peice set of big bunches, and theTandy Mini Punch Set

So I'm now covered for: 5/64", 3/32", 1/8", 9/64", 5/32" and 11/64", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2"

You could also try a closure I used on a prototype until the snaps arrive.

that's pretty slick!

Just got that same setup from Kevin. It works great. Position the barrel over the snap insert drive punch and tap, tap, tap. Snap set nice and snug. The kids will be able to work with it once shown.

I'm very glad to hear that....

There is so much hyperbole in advertising these days, it's hard to know if I'm making a wise decision.

And when you have very limited funds, buyers remorse sucks all that much more.

Edited by SandSquid

The short stubby drive is for line 24 the other line 20. One side of the barrel will hold the socket of the snap and the other side of the whatever it's called. Leet's say one side will do both sides of a Line 24 and the other will do both sides of a Line 20. Try a couple samples. The barrel will bottom out on the snap when it's tight. It really does work nice.

Check with your Tandy store for the J stamp. I know that Dee in the Las Vegas store keeps incomplete stamp sets to replace missing ones.

Check with your Tandy store for the J stamp. I know that Dee in the Las Vegas store keeps incomplete stamp sets to replace missing ones.

>>>>call the Memphis Store. 3 weeks ago she had some extra letters....

Talked to my cousin today, he said he thought the City Electric Shoe Shop in Gallup had a box or three of mismatched letter stamps they sold by the piece. Might be somewhere to call if you have no luck elsewhere.

five-o-five eight-6-3 five-2-five-2

The short stubby drive is for line 24 the other line 20. One side of the barrel will hold the socket of the snap and the other side of the whatever it's called. Leet's say one side will do both sides of a Line 24 and the other will do both sides of a Line 20. Try a couple samples. The barrel will bottom out on the snap when it's tight. It really does work nice.

Works perfectly, especially once I put a dab of lubricant on the little nipple end of the punch.

I'll send you a box of pieces for the postage.

Box came in today... AWESOMENESS!

Well nuts. Seems the box of snaps I sent isn't going to get to you. It's been tracked to the Memphis sort center, where it's been at for a week now, and still not marked as leaving the center or delivered. I think they lost it. :thumbsdown:

Well nuts. Seems the box of snaps I sent isn't going to get to you.

I would not give up hope entirely, yet, but I just ordered (200) Line 20's which I surmise will get me through the summer.

My leather working instruction and work table has evolved into this:

post-30477-010759000 1340495403_thumb.jp

Though it is oftentimes much messier!

The (3-strand) Mystery Braid continues to be a hugely popular item for the campers. I got to spend several hours facilitating Archery and Leather Working with this weeks' "Camp Peace" Campers; children and youth who respond to everyday situations and problems with aggressive behavior. It was a little scary "arming them" with bows & arrows, and swivel knives and mallets, but they all had a great time and were able to work out some teen angst in a positive constructive manner. They were especially challenged by the Mystery Braid and though many of them got frustrated and wanted to quit. I just kept demonstrating it to them and telling them to follow the instructions, step-by-step and assured them they could do it, and eventually they worked through it. Since this is a Church Camp I tied it in like this: We all trusted in the instructions and followed them, and we were successful in completing your Mystery Braid. Perhaps there are some instructions in the Bible can help us succeed in life??? Hmmmm. perhaps....

post-30477-082603600 1340494744_thumb.jp

One Camper combined archery and leather-working, in a very creative way

post-30477-033799600 1340494584_thumb.jp

and I have just figured out how to do a 5-strand

post-30477-000297600 1340494290_thumb.jp

Edited by SandSquid

It has been suggested that I post that should anyone feel the compulsion to assist the can do so by making donations to our PayPal account : goodshepherdyoutharchery@gmail.com

It would be 100% tax deductible..... Our IRS EIN number is: 62-6072830

the 501c3 is attached below;

post-30477-011352700 1340496206_thumb.jp

Edited by SandSquid

Got a 2-fer in today, had kids shooting archery and leather-working at the same time...

post-30477-049854400 1340741693_thumb.jp

post-30477-072796200 1340741711_thumb.jp

post-30477-094414700 1340741702_thumb.jp

Enjoying 3 days respite... What the Diretor calls "Black-Out weekend"

EVERYBODY leaves Saturday after teh last camper departs and we are not allowed back until Tuesday Morning.

Supposedly prepares us for the last push (4 weeks) till Sumer Camp ends.

Yippie, "Primary" Camp = 200(+/-) Pre-Elementray age campers shooting arrows, scary!

Edited by SandSquid

LOL Put a pot on your head and wear trash can lids on your torso front and back. If nothing else they won't mess with you too much.

For the "big" classes I've been combining Archery and leather-working, so the group can break down into two smaller groups and switch off between the two, and for the most part it has worked out well....

BUT last night was by far the WORST class yet.

Those obnoxious little sh!ts were totally out of control, pounding stamps into the picnic table or even into the concrete slabs (sans leather)....Grabbing at all the things I told them NOT to touch like the swivel knives, head knife, stitching awls, etc...

Next door, on the archery range they were shooting arrows directly into the concrete floor "just to see the sparks they made". Despite our best efforts neither I, nor counselors that were there, were able to get them back under control so I pulled the plug on the entire session and sent them back to their cabin. It's a good thing this is a "Church Camp" or I would have gone straight into "Drill Instructor Mode", but I'm not allowed to yell, use profanity or physical exercise (my favorites are "front leaning rest" position or the "dying cockroach" ) to counsel the kids.

But today is a new day, lets hope.

Argh, I hate it when a class degenerates into an exhibition of yard apes. You did what you had to. Sometimes the best way to get the point across is to end the class. And even if the point isn't gotten across, sometimes it has to end before someone gets hurt or the tools or facilities are destroyed.

Were your stamps and tools badly damaged from the abuse? I'm not going to even ask about the arrows--I'm sure a lot were shattered.

Ick. Clearly they could have used some "drill instructor time" I still wonder about the "permissiveness" the last 2 generations have been raised under. I still think it's going to come back and bite us hard.

Glad you got through it though.

Well this is the last week of summer camp, and I can say it has been a great experience. While teaching archery full time to > 2,000 campers kept me quite busy, I was able to squeeze in some very basic leather-working for (as guess) 400 campers. I really have no idea, except I went through more than 500 leather bracelets. It was quite popular but my primary responsibility here is as the Archery Coach, I just could not offer it to everybody, and the "Craft Person" was crazy busy with ceramic, braiding, painting, etc...

With the prices of the leather bracelet and mystery braid blanks, this never would have been possible if it weren't for the kind donations of material we received, and I am deeply grateful for your generosity and every little bit and scrap got put to use, the kids saw to that!

As a recipient of some donated goods, I believe in paying it forward when ever I can... I was glad to send you the things I had. Let us know when the next round occurs.