Sign in to follow this  
edgeleatherworks

Making A Bible Cover

Would like to make myself a bible cover... I was just thinking on how to do it, searched on here and could only find pictures of others results... My question is. 'm assuming when you make the cover it just has two flaps on the insdie that the front and back of the bible slides into? Does/will it hold up ok? Thanks for your time

There are several books on how to do it. I have never made one but I do know in "The Art of Making Leather Cases" by Al Stohlman book there is a section in volume 2 on that subject.

Mike

Think of it like a checkbook cover, only larger. It can be one piece or three, that is up to you. You also have a tuckable slot in the flaps for the bible to slide into. The one in the pics is a total of 5 pieces. The hardet part is making it fit snug without it being loose, you want it to fit like it belongs on it.

Aaron

post-2349-081164500 1338257848_thumb.jpg

post-2349-034082100 1338257856_thumb.jpg

They hold up very well using the flaps inside, I've made several and have another on the bench now. I've attached a picture of the inside. I fully line the inside and then put the two flaps in I make them 5.5" wide (this is for a full size Bible, my rule of thumb is to have the flap cover between 1/2 and 2/3 of the Bible cover on each side), the back is 1" longer and wider than the Bible and that gives you a 1/2" margin all the way around.

Ken

post-6362-032923000 1338293067_thumb.jpg

post-6362-066599100 1338293068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chief31794

<<<snip>>>My question is. I'm assuming when you make the cover it just has two flaps on the inside that the front and back of the bible slides into? Does/will it hold up ok?

I make quite a few leather "slip-on" book covers. The leather holds up just fine. Usually the book fails. The reason is that without a smooth area inside the flaps and a smooth area around the flaps on the inside, the book cover is under stress every time the book is opened or closed. The simple solution, and the recommendation I make, is to make a dust cover out of a grocery paper bag. This allows the cover to slide when the book is opened and closed. If it cover sticks as the book is opened and closed the hinge area of the spine is stressed and will make the cover separate from the pages.

Here is the statement I give with each cover delivered:

It is strongly suggested that the book being covered retain its dust jacket or make another one for it out of paper. The paper dust jacket helps relieve any strain on the spine of the book by allowing the book’s covers to slide inside the Leather Book Cover when opening or closing the book. Covers made from suede tend to "grab" the cover, more so than other leathers, and may cause damage to the spine. Once again, it is strongly suggested that the book being covered retain its dust jacket or make another one for it out of paper.

Hope this helps.

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org