Tentman

Hubbard/mochilla Construction

Hello Folks

I'm about to start a new project - a lightweight Halfbreed (Aussie tree with fenders etc) with a sort of skeleton styling, its gonna be a my new starting saddle. Tree is a Chicago Stockyard.

20 or more years ago I did a slick fork with a one piece seat/jockies sort of like a mochilla or Hubbard and I think this is the way to go on this new project.

However I seem to recall that I had to have two goes at getting the seat right in the early one, quite an expensive mistake !

Now with the benefit of the 'net I've been able to look at a lot of pictures to see what to do, but one thing I can't figure is why on many saddles there is a join down the centre of the seat . . . was this to enable the saddler to get a better shape to the whole deal, save mistakes like mine or what ??

Thanks - Foster

Edited by Tentman

Fitting a Hubbard style seat where the seat and swell are one piece of leather can be very challenging. Having had to re-do one yourself, you have learned how difficult it can be. It is easiest to shape the seat and split the swell cover from the hand hole thru the center of the horn, pulling the extra slack to the center, and then braiding or stitching the leather back together behind and in front of the horn. Most use a scallop front gullet roll to cover the split in front of the horn. The type of swell has a lot to do with the level of difficulty and functionality of this style of seat. With your aussie style tree, you may be able to cut out holes for the "ears" that make up the swells and fit the one piece over the remaining swell. This shouldn't be too hard to shape the leather. Harder to get the holes positioned correctly.

Good Luck,

Keith