Jax

Inspiration Please

Hi folks, I a friend has asked me to make a bag for his 2 year old granddaugther, with her name & favourite cartoon character on it the later was soon sorted with a search on google images. What I am struggling with is the design of the actual bag. When I was asked to make it I showed him a small shoulder bag I had already made and he said it would be too big....I thought it was quite small, only being about 6" square with a 2" gusset in the usual semi- circle sort of design.

Not being very child minded, (I usually avoid em like the plague :lol: ). I am wondering what sort of thing might appeal to the child, should I make a handbag, shoulderbag, satchel or rucksack type of thing, my friend has just left that up to me!!

Any ideas would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks very much

Dasher - Tandy Pattern I made these for my 4yo at the time and her best friend also 4. Ironically they have the same initial too.

Kevin

I would say you need to question him more about "too big" I know kids often think in terms of the entire purse including the handle. (makes sense to me)

What about that 70/80 man purse that was worn on the belt? Like this

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1180-bold-spirit-belt-bag.aspx?

or this... https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1181-small-belt-bag.aspx?

I would suggest something like a sporan and add straps to the back so it could be worn like a tine backpack, or just carried. This pattern is easily alterable to any size you choose.

post-2349-017379800 1338574112_thumb.jpg

I'm with electrathon. Those things are huge right now. I would go to Macy's or JC Penny and check out the kids section and look at the sizes typical to kids' stuff. Bring a tape measure.

Thank you all so much there are some lovely suggestions for other possible projects too, Glendon thats a real cute little purse, Kevin the bag he said was too big was similar to the "Dasher" I saw the pic in a Tandy catalogue and made a similar pattern. The sporran idea could be good as they are Scottish, and proud to be and I could carve the cartoon character on the flap. Sylvia, you are a star, those belt bags are brilliant and the patterns would be easy to make & in different sizes instead of buying them. I have aphabet stamps in different styles and sizes so the name isn't a problem, you have fired my imagination now, where's that roll of wallpaper :) thanks again.

Glad to help. And Mike had a good idea. The next time you're in a department store, bring a measuring tape and look at some of the kids accessories. I should have thought of that.

On 01/06/2012 at 10:22 AM, Phatdaddy said:

Dasher - Tandy Pattern I made these for my 4yo at the time and her best friend also 4. Ironically they have the same initial too.

Kevin

I realise that this is a very old thread, but I am planning on making a little bag for my granddaughter, something along the lines of the Tandy Dasher. So I was hoping that someone might have a pattern available for something similar. Unfortunately this link posted by Phatdaddy is no longer active.
Thanks,
Clive

Tandy still sells the kit. :  https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/dasher-handbag-kit

If you can't find a pattern for it, maybe you could buy it. The nice thing about these kits is they are quite simple, and once you have the pattern, you can just keep reusing it to make your own. Of course, you will need to make your own templates of the different parts of the bag.

From looking at the photo, you can see that the wrap around strap also serves as the gussets for the bag, and is just laced to the front and back of the bag. Looks like the back and flap of the bag are one piece, with the front being separate.

Edit: Tandy has a free download of a bonus pattern for this bag. It doesn't show the other parts of the bag, just the flap, but it has a nice clear picture of the completed handbag which would be a big help if you wanted to try making one up without a pattern.  https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1986-dasher-handbag-kit-44365-00-bonus-tooling-pattern-ii.aspx

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Jax, check out your local charity shops and see what they have to offer.  I'm sure you'll find something to inspire you there.

Thanks Sheilajeanne,
The link to the bonus pattern was really helpful, although it only shows the flap this is a good starting point for creating a pattern.

I had considered buying the kit, but as I want to stitch the bag rather than lace it, the kit would only serve as an expensive pattern, especially as this is likely a one off.
Clive

Edited by clivel
Formatting was strange