Sign in to follow this  
Stitching Pony

How Do I Know What To Charge For A Custom Job

Hi All

I have been asked to make some custom wind deflectors for a Honda Shadow Motorcycle. The job is pretty straight forward and I know exactly how I will tackle it. I have been asked to supply a cost and I'm not sure how to cost it out. I figure it will take maybe two to three hours. I was thinking that I will get the price for the leather and other bits and pieces I need for the job and then multiply that cost by 2 and that will be what I charge.

Any thoughts??? Is there an "accepted' rate per hour for this type of work. There will be very little "handmade" to this job it will mostly involve cutting out to a pattern I have made, punching holes for the lacing and then machine stitching the edges.

If they are going to be laced, 3-5 hrs is just for that depending on how much lace there is...but I am very fast and I can Triple loop lace about 7" per half hour.depends on how long the lace is that you have to pull through on each stroke...

I would guess 10-15 hours @30 per hour plus Materials.

If it was me: I would be thinking about 450 dollars/euros/Australian kangaroo skins or whatever:) LOLOL.

JUST KIDDING:)

But ya about 450...:)

Hello,

When I first started with leather I was told to charge 3x the cost of materials or $30 an hour for more complicated projects. Hope this helps.

Gavin

As an electrician, . . . as a carpenter, . . . or doing leatherwork, . . . I've always tried to keep it pretty simple.

What are other people paying for this product or service?

What would I pay for this product or service?

Trying to gauge it by hours spent can be anti-productive.

Remember, . . . YOUR CUSTOMER is your most valuable resource. Better to give him a bargain 10 times over, . . . than to gyp him once.

My last thought before I price an item to a customer: "Am I happy pricing it here?" If the answer is yes, . . . do it. If not, . . . don't.

May God bless,

Dwight

Double the time you think it will take you and like i was told one time if you get every job you bid your bidding to cheap.

I don't really sell any of my leatherwork, but I do sell some ornamental ironwork/ blacksmith type stuff now and then. The following is the advice that I received once upon a time from someone who had been selling custom ironwork longer than I've been alive probably, and I find it applies to most craft/custom work:

Figure up how long you think it will take you. Double that number. Multiply by how much your time is worth per hour. Add in the cost of materials, shop supplies, overhead, etc. This is what your final price should be. If it seems a little low mark it up another 10 or 15 percent.

This person then went on to offer one more little tidbit of advice:

When you tell them [the customer] how much its gonna cost them, you want them to WINCE AND HEEHAW AROUND JUST A LITTLE BIT. If they outright cringe, you know your price is to high. If they whip out the wallet right off, you ain't charging near enough. But when they wince just a bit that means they know that what you made is worth what your charging for it.

I've found both of these bits of advice to be, more or less, dead on accurate.

-Aaron

Thanks everyone, thats great advise and it has really helped me decide what I should do.