altheapdx

Help! I'm Drowning

Hi,

I'm new to this site, but have been a seamstress for decades (a girl never reveals her age). I have mostly done household items - clothing, quilts, handbags and other miscellaneous items. All of these items have been done on my Brother XR-65.

Recently we purchased a 1974 VW Bus. I am in the process of re-doing the seats & curtains. I'm using a medium weight vinyl for the seats. My Brother has blasted through the seams & did a good job of attaching cording to the edges, but once I hit piecing at the corners…uh, oh. It's a no go. My walking foot doesn't lift high enough to maneuver over them. The standard pressure foot is a no go, had a terrible time with it bunching the vinyl.

So by now you're asking "why is this crazy lady posting on a leather site when she's using vinyl?" Here's why, I'm finding that after days of reading on this site and various others, there is a lot of similarities between leather and vinyl. And my questions are specifically related to different machines I'm looking at and the wealth of sewing machine knowledge on this site… well, I think you all can help direct me.

First, let me state that a 'reverse' feature isn't necessary. I am totally capable of flipping the material to do the backstitching. I'm not planning on doing upholstery for a living, just this one time project. So I'm putting that low on the priority list. Of course it would be great, but it's not necessary.

Then walking foot: I've absolutely had to use the walking foot on my Brother to feed the material evenly. For the portion of the project I've done thus far with my Brother, I've been basting the edges of the vinyl prior to sewing it. Will continue to do so just to make doubly sure that the vinyl feeds evenly. But I'm thinking that with this upgrade and the foot dogs with much more girth, I will probably be able to get by with either a nylon/teflon pressure foot or a roller foot. With all the expertise I'm finding on this site, do you think that's a logical assumption?

Here's the machines I'm looking at locally and my comments/questions. Any advice, guidance, suggestions or other would be much appreciated.

A Singer 241-12 for $150: The ad states it runs great but could use a tune up. When I talked with the seller she said there's nothing wrong with it, it just needs cleaned and lubed up. I'm pretty sure this machine would do what I need it to do. Do you agree? I think my biggest reservation with this machine is the speed. This puppy, according to what I've read, moves and it moves FAST. Like 5000 stitches per minute! I'm afraid the speed on such work is going to be too much. I've got to do some pretty tight corners and I happen to like the tips of my fingers. If I purchase this machine, could I put on a different motor to slow it down? It says it has a "foot operated clutch motor". A what?? Feel sort of like a dunce, but I'm not sure I know what that means. My educated guess after reading about 5.7 million webpages, is that your foot engages the clutch. But isn't that how all machines engage? It also has a 1/3 horsepower motor, stronger than the other machine I'm thinking about. This machine is gear driven with minimum stitch of 5 1/2 per inch. It's also a drop feed machine, which I think for my purposes is good. The manual I found online says it has a 5/16" pressure foot lift. It also states it will accommodate needles from 8-21. I've been using a 90/14 on the Brother and haven't had any issues with it.

The other is a Singer 31-15 for $250: The advantage over the 241-12 seems to be it will go slower, max of 2200 stitches per minute. But it only has a 1/4 horsepower motor versus the 1/3 horsepower of the 241-12. It's been recently serviced and I saw the receipt stating as much. The stitch length is slightly longer, minimum of 7 per inch. But I've measured the original seat covers and they are from about 4 - 7 stitches per inch. I can't seem to find information about the pressure foot lift on this machine, whether it's gear driven or not and what type of feed it has. It, per the manual I found, accommodates needs from 14-23, so good there.

So where am I at? I think it seems as though the 241-12 would be the better machine for my purpose. But I'm really worried about the speed. LIke I said I really like the tips of my fingers and wish to keep them. I'm finding a lot more information about the 241-12 online-Gear driven, drop feed, lift of pressure foot than I am about the 31-15. Think this is probably because the 241-12 is such a newer machine.

Other question: Do either of these machines have the ability to sew with synthetic thread? And what thread would you recommend? Ideally I wouldn't want to use cotton because it is easily damaged by sun. V-dubs of course have lotso windows. I don't want to be doing this again in a few years.

Enough. I've literally been reading every blog, thread, post, e-bay ad, manuals, you name it for days trying to whittle this down. I'm cross eyed from staring at my computer monitor and my head is swirling with details. Plus, my kids have only have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for every meal for days. Ok, not really, but I've definitely not being putting out the 'normal' mommy meals.

Like I said, any advice, suggestions or recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Robyn

P.S. I should mention that with 3 young children in the house and a 1 person income, the budget for this purchase is $0.

Bottom line: you need a compound feed walking foot machine, with a servo motor. End of story.

Bottom line: you need a compound feed walking foot machine, with a servo motor. End of story.

any recommendations? very limited budget & one time project...ugh.

Reasoning behind the compound feed? Seems like maybe the short answer... I've read at least three dozen of your other responses & posts and you are a wealth of knowledge. I'm sincerely looking for help. I bow to your expertise.

If I was doing that project I would use my 15-91 which is fast and powerful but doesn't do 5000 stitches a minute. It has a gear driven potted motor so no belt to slip etc. The next day you can sew silk with it after changing the tension. It will use up to #69 nylon thread, and I can't say enough about these machines. If where it needs to walk over the seam is 1/4th inch or less, it won't even cough. Since you already sew your learning curve wouldn't be as big as mine was, can take the 50's and older Singers apart and put them back together about as quick as most people can straight stitch a pair of curtains but sewing? Not so much. They don't need a case or cabinet to sit in, to me they truly are the cream of the Singer crop.

I have 3 of the newer ones coming this week and could sell you one of them. If you PM or contact me at canncrossan@myfairpoint.net I can tell you all the different prices for different options, but for a straight machine, I can beat the prices you've been given, and it will still be running when your brother is gasping. It also has the feed dog drop. You can ask Wizcraft about these, they would work great on upholstery. But whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck Althea. Cheryl

any recommendations? very limited budget & one time project...ugh.

Sure. Look around online, or call our member-dealers, for a Singer 111w155, which was one of the first triple feed, walking foot machines in mass production. It has the poor mans' reverse you like (spin the work 180 degrees) and they're built to last about a hundred years. Equipped with a standard industrial bobbin, these machines can sew with up to #138 bonded nylon, or bonded polyester thread. They use the most common walking foot needle system 135x16 and 17.

If you look hard you can find one of these machines in good working condition for about $350 to $400, with a 1/2 HP clutch motor. Toss in another $165 for a Sew Slow servo motor and you're good to go on vinyl and leather upholstery, cloth, denim, drapery, jackets, et al.

The only thing they are not good for is delicate work. They will tear up any very light weight cloth. But, you can hem jeans all day, sew seat covers, make vests, etc.

They don't lift as high as modern walking foot machines, so you'll be limited to seams not exceeding about 5/16 inch. These are great piping machines for 1/4 inch thin piping and are a typical first machine purchased by starting upholsterers.

Your second machine might be a Consew 206RB-something, or a Juki LU something. Baby steps...

Edited by Wizcrafts

Sure. Look around online, or call our member-dealers, for a Singer 111w155, which was one of the first triple feed, walking foot machines in mass production. It has the poor mans' reverse you like (spin the work 180 degrees) and they're built to last about a hundred years. Equipped with a standard industrial bobbin, these machines can sew with up to #138 bonded nylon, or bonded polyester thread. They use the most common walking foot needle system 135x16 and 17.

If you look hard you can find one of these machines in good working condition for about $350 to $400, with a 1/2 HP clutch motor. Toss in another $165 for a Sew Slow servo motor and you're good to go on vinyl and leather upholstery, cloth, denim, drapery, jackets, et al.

The only thing they are not good for is delicate work. They will tear up any very light weight cloth. But, you can hem jeans all day, sew seat covers, make vests, etc.

They don't lift as high as modern walking foot machines, so you'll be limited to seams not exceeding about 5/16 inch. These are great piping machines for 1/4 inch thin piping and are a typical first machine purchased by starting upholsterers.

Your second machine might be a Consew 206RB-something, or a Juki LU something. Baby steps...

Wow. Thanks so much for the info and quick responses. I'm going to do some reading, tomorrow, about the 111w155 and the 15-91 DoubleC recommended. Hopefully by then I won't be so cross-eyed. My husband is nearly finished with the motor & tranny work and wants the seats done yesterday... smile.

I have a Nakajima TDU-N62 that I would part with. I kept this machine as a backup just in case. This is a great walking foot machine that has never given me a problem. The only reason I don't use it any more is I needed a machine with 1/2 inch lift or more. I know of no problem with it. My sewing machine tech said it looked as if it had very low hours. I know this to true as it was owned by a friend who used it about a year & then it just sat in his shop. I have the machine head only. Standard tables can be had reasonable. Buyer to pay actual shipping. I have it packed in a commercial sewing machine shipping box. This means the machine will arrive at your location in good condition.

E-mail me @ trunkmaker@gmail.com if you're interested.

Wow. Thanks so much for the info and quick responses. I'm going to do some reading, tomorrow, about the 111w155 and the 15-91 DoubleC recommended. Hopefully by then I won't be so cross-eyed. My husband is nearly finished with the motor & tranny work and wants the seats done yesterday... smile.

Hi guys, me again. smile. Have done a bunch more reading and again appreciate all the guidance I've received. I've found yet another machine locally that I think might fit the task at hand. BUT, big but, can't seem to find a whole lot of information about it online. Was hoping someone might have an opinion they would share...

It's a Juki DDL-552. http://medford.craigslist.org/bfs/2956617561.html

Thanks again.

Where are you at? Your bi-o says USA. Big country. I have a nice 111w155, slowed down and could part. In central Illinois.

Kevin

Where are you at? Your bi-o says USA. Big country. I have a nice 111w155, slowed down and could part. In central Illinois.

Kevin

I'm in Sandy, Oregon. email me at robynstoll@gmail.com

Hi and Welcome to the forum. Your email will be spammed if you use that format, edit your post and use this format; robynstoll at gmail dot com. It is much safer.

Trox

I maybe too late... this morning i opened my mail to about 100+ spams...couldn't figure out what in the world...then read this. Thank you for the heads up. How do I edit that post? I was able to edit this one, but there's no 'edit this post' button-thingy on yesterday's.

Ruled out the Juki DDL-552 btw. Glorified domestic household machine...ugh.

Edited by altheapdx

You only have about 10 minutes to edit a post.

You will need to get a moderator or such to change it. Damage is likely done already, you are now on a list that gets sold over and over, and spreads worldwide. Get ready to set up a new email account and close the old. I went back to an old email address that I hadn't used for over 10 years. The next day I had some spam. So the list I was on had been circulating amongst the evil cyber spammers for 10 plus years.

CTG

Well I wasn't one of the spammers, LOL. Anyway just sewed this up in about 5 minutes on my non-industrial, and I think someone called it a 'pretty toy' machine rofl.gif 3 layers, 5oz, 3oz, and elk hide. I forgot to tell my Lucky he can't sew leather so he keeps on doing it. Now if my stropped scissors could cut those layers a little better.

BTW I'm not trying to sell you a machine.....Wizcrafts has one with the motor that will slow down and asking a more reasona ble price than even I would, and I'm a very reasonable person. Seriously, it is too bad about your email :-( Cheryl

Well I wasn't one of the spammers, LOL. Anyway just sewed this up in about 5 minutes on my non-industrial, and I think someone called it a 'pretty toy' machine rofl.gif 3 layers, 5oz, 3oz, and elk hide. I forgot to tell my Lucky he can't sew leather so he keeps on doing it. Now if my stropped scissors could cut those layers a little better.

BTW I'm not trying to sell you a machine.....Wizcrafts has one with the motor that will slow down and asking a more reasona ble price than even I would, and I'm a very reasonable person. Seriously, it is too bad about your email :-( Cheryl

DoubleC you make a very valid point. I've done a considerable amount of sewing on these seats with my lil o'Brother machine. I'm actually amazing myself at what I've been able to do. It's just the dang nab corners. I can't get the lift I need out of my walking foot. And I'm done trying. I'm working on the cushions for the bed and the curtains now, have resolved myself to "gonna have to wait until I find the right tool for the project".

I'm gonna contact you off list to talk about machines. My hang-up is shipping. I'm on such a tight budget, that I'm afraid if I pay you a fair price for the machine, the shipping is going to be over the top. That's why I'm scouring my 'local' craigslist. "Local" in quotes, because I'm actually looking as far as 5 hours away from home. I've only found one shop local and when I talked with him, really nice guy btw, he buys used 'junk' and refurbishes them and is at least 4 months out... ugh.

I'm posting this and contacting an administrator about the email snafu. I've never posted on a blog or forum before I and I'm caulking this up to "lesson learned".

DoubleC you make a very valid point. I've done a considerable amount of sewing on these seats with my lil o'Brother machine. I'm actually amazing myself at what I've been able to do. It's just the dang nab corners. I can't get the lift I need out of my walking foot. And I'm done trying. I'm working on the cushions for the bed and the curtains now, have resolved myself to "gonna have to wait until I find the right tool for the project".

I'm gonna contact you off list to talk about machines. My hang-up is shipping. I'm on such a tight budget, that I'm afraid if I pay you a fair price for the machine, the shipping is going to be over the top. That's why I'm scouring my 'local' craigslist. "Local" in quotes, because I'm actually looking as far as 5 hours away from home. I've only found one shop local and when I talked with him, really nice guy btw, he buys used 'junk' and refurbishes them and is at least 4 months out... ugh.

I'm posting this and contacting an administrator about the email snafu. I've never posted on a blog or forum before I and I'm caulking this up to "lesson learned".

I wouldn't have thought about the email thing either. And I wasn't kidding about Wizcrafts. He has a 15-91 at a very reasonable price. And I would help in any way I can, try and find you someone closer, etc. I practically live here and this is the last place I would take advantage of someone, not that I would anyway. The main thin is to see you get a machine you can use and at a price you can afford, especially since you're just thinking about this one job primarily. None of that post was intended as anything but to be funny, and also to tell you about some options.

I live in VT. and shipped one of these to CA. for $35.00. And I've had enough broken by the PO to wrap it so it gets there in one piece. But if the 111W or even the slower speed will do you better then we just need to figure out how to get you one of those where you live. Cheryl

What is your name Tattoo girl, you can delete it and post it again. Do it as fast as possible, they have search engines looking for emails all the time. As less exposed as better. I will change my post too.

Trox

This was the content of the deletet post, it is now out of order, but without your real email in it.

Trox

"Hi and Welcome to the forum. Your email will be spammed if you use that format, edit your post and use this format; robynstoll at gmail dot com. It is much safer.

Trox"