bruce johnson

Crank Skivers - American And Landis

I am starting at new thread on comparing two crank skivers I have with pictures.

The American is my own user and a Model B with a 2-1/2" blade. The hand lever will open the gap between the rollers. This skiver I modified. The top wheel was milled originally. I took the teeth down to make it smooth. The blade angle adjusts with two eccentrics. One is under the hex head bolt to the left of th etable in the rear view of it. The other is under the lower slot head bolt to the right. Loosening the bolts and then turning the eccentrics changes the balde angle. There is a view with the blade leveled for splitting too.

The Landis is one I just got. It has a 1-3/4 blade. The blade angle is adjusted by the hex heads in the slots - two on the left and one on the right. This one will level up too.

post-29-067212100 1339349778_thumb.jpg

post-29-076651200 1339349781_thumb.jpg

post-29-023931200 1339349784_thumb.jpg

post-29-013308300 1339349787_thumb.jpg

post-29-096517400 1339349789_thumb.jpg

post-29-008911600 1339349793_thumb.jpg

post-29-090101900 1339349795_thumb.jpg

post-29-084099700 1339349798_thumb.jpg

post-29-038789700 1339349801_thumb.jpg

As you can tell from the photo I sent previously, my 3in 1 was not configured this way.

I think the one I had was made in Memphis. Does that sound "kosher" ?

ferg

quote name='bruce johnson' timestamp='1339349837' post='251986']

I am starting at new thread on comparing two crank skivers I have with pictures.

The American is my own user and a Model B with a 2-1/2" blade. The hand lever will open the gap between the rollers. This skiver I modified. The top wheel was milled originally. I took the teeth down to make it smooth. The blade angle adjusts with two eccentrics. One is under the hex head bolt to the left of th etable in the rear view of it. The other is under the lower slot head bolt to the right. Loosening the bolts and then turning the eccentrics changes the balde angle. There is a view with the blade leveled for splitting too.

The Landis is one I just got. It has a 1-3/4 blade. The blade angle is adjusted by the hex heads in the slots - two on the left and one on the right. This one will level up too.

Ferg,

As far as I know Landis was in St Louis, but I haven't had a ton on Landis bench machines. It seems like most of the leather bench machines came from St Louis primarily and Minneapolis also has some. Memphis might have been part of the Landis deal. I just don't know. I think at some point Landis acquired American and Champion, but I am not 100% sure if and when.

That American is just WAY TOO COOL!! I have never even seen a picture of one like that before. Thanks to you.

Hi Guys :

I am looking for anyone who can help me. I got the Landis Skiver, just like the one you have in your picture. My plate on it said it is from Saint Louis. Anyway, my is very smooth, but I find it really difficult to adjust, ie, I do not know what to turn to do what. I have been trying to search an operations manual on the net but I was unable to get my hands on it. Everytime I tried to skive some leather edge, it just takes a whole chunk out, or it starts well, but starts to skive more and cut into the body of the leather as it moves along..Does anyone where I can get my hands on an operations manual at all??? Many Thanks in advance.

Hard to say, but I'd check the blade and make sure it is sharp and the bevel is good. After that, I would crank some leather through while you have the blade off to see if it feeds straight. If that's good, then check to see if the balde edge is up close to the rollers. I am not by mine right now, but most of them have a stop for the corner of the blade to rest against and set the forward edge position. After that just fiddle around with blade angles and guide positions to get it where you want to be. I haven't ever seen a manual anywhere. The only manual for the bench machines I know of is for the Landis 30 crank splitter.

Bruce- I have the Tandy bench spiltter. Regardless, how far should the blade be behind the CENTER of the roller? Too far and it cuts through the leather, too close and it just rolls under it

Maybe JUST behind top center?

pete

Pete, changing gears from a skiver to a splitter, the pull through splitters usually do best if the leading edge is over the center of the roller. Some still do better slightly behind though, just need to play with that. One thing to check is to make sure there isn't a bevel on the bottom of the blade. That is the usual reason leather runs under a blade. Another reason is if the blade tips up a little from something being off on the frame. . That can be hard to tell sometimes.

Can I use a crank Landis skiver like this

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4d0e5a52a1

on softer leather when making handbags?

Sorry , it will not work.

Tor