mogwild

John Bianchi's Leather Stitcher

Before we even owned a heavy stitcher, heck, before I even knew what a heavy stitcher was, I purchased John Bianchi's "The Art and Secrets of Advanced Western Holster Making" (link). I've had them for over a year but haven't watched them until last night.

In the video's, at least the first one (still watching the others) he uses a "Juki Ferdco Pro 2000", but, what I find interesting, is the motor. It appears to be a Servo motor with some kind of positioning system on it. I've quiz'd Wiz on this already, and that's the direction he leaned me in.

Now I'm not in the market for a new machine, My wife and I have acquired 3 heavy stitcher's already, and I know that later in life, John Bianchi was promoting or endorsing the Cobra Class 4, that's not what I'm posting this for. Its also not another "which 441 clone is better now-a-days" thread, but rather, just a discussion thread on (IMHO) a Legendary man, and the machine he uses in the video's. I'm data mining for info on this machine if you will ;) For the sake of history and sheer curiosity if nothing else.

As far as I can tell, the machine is a 1991-1995 Juki Ferdco Pro 2000, from when they were built on Juki frames, based on this info I found on Ferdco's website:

The Pro 2000 was designed by Ferdinand JeanBlanc in 1991 using a Juki 441 frame from Juki USA. In 1995 we went to a Tiawan manufacturer and had the 441 changed to our new specifications which we use now. Once the casting is delivered to us, we convert the 441 into the Super Bull Pro 2000 that you see advertised today.

Thus, I'm assuming its from that era.

So, does anyone know what motor is running this machine? Any more info about the machine? Anyone know what happened to it?

Edited by mogwild

I have the same machine he is using and it has a clutch motor on it.

Some models of sewing machines have a needle positioning system on them. As you see in the video, his positioning system is set for needle down. He doesn't have to crank it by hand to stop where he wants it. Search for needle positioning here and in Google. One of the banner ads here advertises needle positioning for their machine. Very nice addition for a high volume production shop.

CTG

I've seen some when researching motors, most I've seen have the attachment at the handwheel like this one:

cobraTN422B.jpg

Definatly a nice setup, I was just curious what motor he would have had back then (I think the video says 1997(ish) ) that would have had that tech. Sure it cost a pretty penny back then too.

They had an Efka model 60 I think.

Art

1339441989[/url]' post='252151']

I've seen some when researching motors, most I've seen have the attachment at the handwheel like this one:

cobraTN422B.jpg

Definatly a nice setup, I was just curious what motor he would have had back then (I think the video says 1997(ish) ) that would have had that tech. Sure it cost a pretty penny back then too.

This would not be too hard to do mechanically. Just need to have a feedback arm from the hand wheel or a cam that releases the clutch, applying the brake with the needle down. We tend to think nowadays that everything has to be electronic or microprocessor controlled. I used to work on mechanical accounting machines that we programmed mechanically to do things like multiply the mill rate by the assessed value to determine the tax, print it on the ledger card plus statement, plus total up the day's run. There are a lot of mechanical marvels from years gone by that we don't remember and give credit for. Even things like mileage counters used on covered wagons as people moved west 150 odd years ago.

CTG

It's very neat. I've only recently been introduced to industrial machines, all mine have clutch motors, that's what they came with and I don't see a reason to switch them out just because. But when I was watching the John Bianchi video, and he reached over and switch the machine on, I couldn't believe how quiet it was! Sure before I had my machine I had read all about Clutch motors, Servo motors, and the likes, and know the advantages vs disadvantages etc, but was really intrigued after seeing it in action.

I may have to pick one up just to play with.

They had an Efka model 60 I think.

Art

Thanks Art.

Would that be the "DC60" ? as found here: http://www.efka.net/...ile-EN-DC60.htm (control box exploded diagram shown)

Edited by mogwild

I think it has the clutch motor just like my machine. I can stop it with the needle down and i sew one stitch if i want to. The movies i have seen where they are using the NPM you can tell when they use it. When you get to know your machine you can do all kinds of things with it. Plus when he starts he hand wheels the machine for a stitch or two. I bough my machine the same year Clinton was elected the first time how ever long ago that has been.

Hmm, I don't think its a clutch motor, he emphasizes that "heel down" stops the machine with the foot up, needle down. He seems to indicate that this is a function of his Pro 2000, granted he could be highly skilled and able to always heel down at the right time and stop it with the needle down, but I feel its a function of the machine, to do that, it would need to know the needle position would it not?

Or do you think heel down is just applying the brake? Never thought of that until just now....

Certainly not arguing the point, I'm not that skilled with a clutch motor yet, need more practice! Again, I'm new to this gig so learning as I go.

Edited by mogwild

Esentially yes, but the version they were making 20 years ago.

Art

Thanks Art.

Would that be the "DC60" ? as found here: http://www.efka.net/...ile-EN-DC60.htm (control box exploded diagram shown)

1339460109[/url]' post='252199']

Or do you think heel down is just applying the brake?

Logically, heel down AND needle down would release clutch (applying brake).

Heel down would continue sewing until the above are both satisfied (logical AND).

He also has a link to lift the presser foot.

This is not difficult to do completely mechanically. Just using mechanical rods, levers, bellcrank and cam. Predates fancy electronic positioning. Chances are you could search and find the patent for the system.

Edited by northmount

Cool. Learn something new everyday. Time to chew up some leather and practice practice practice with the clutch motor.

I want say it is new and fancy, my oldest position system is an Efka variostop, it is about 30 years old. It is an electronic clutch motor, with an electronic brake. It is build like a tank. I also have a modern Efka DC position motor. The latest motor systems from Efka; Dc 1550 is a very strong mini servo. It will propel the 441 with no use for a speed reducer. Here it is in use on the new big Adler 120 (the control box is not in the picture) Look at the motors on Keystone; http://store.keysew.com/parts/industrial-sewing-machine-motors.

Trox

post-10237-062285200 1339469163_thumb.jp

John Bianchi uses his Ferdco for some work and his new Cobra Class 4 for other work.

The motor on the Ferdco is an Efka. not positive on the model.

The Cobra Class 4 has a NPS servo motor.

AFAIK, all NPS systems have a synchronizer that attaches to the main shaft near the hand wheel.

Heel down on the pedal raises the needle out of the work. If you take your foot off the gas the machine will stop with the needle down, just after the shuttle hook has caught the loop. This enables tight turns without any skipped stitches.

The needle positioner motors are a godsend. It greatly speeds up difficult stitching.

Both the Ferdco and the Cobra John uses have needle positioner motors. The new motors offered by Leather Machine Shop are much less expensive than the older NPS motors and give you the same results. (The ability to control the top speed. Stop the stitch in either needle up or down position.

I hope this helps clear up any remaining questions about what John's machines are.

If not let me know!

The picture is of the motor on John's Ferdco.

Matt Whitaker

General Manager

Frontier Gunleather

post-5346-040542400 1339531176_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was wondering.

Many thanks.

-trev

Thanks, Matt for your insight. Steve

Just got back from a friends house, tried out his Cobra 4 with Servo motor, have to say, that's a sweet machine!

You don't know what control is until you have used a treadle.

Darren,

Any tips on how to manage that? I've found treadles are great but for slow speed stuff they're no patch on a servo because they need some good momentum to keep going and have penetration power.

Cheers.

John Bianchi uses his Ferdco for some work and his new Cobra Class 4 for other work.

AFAIK, all NPS systems have a synchronizer that attaches to the main shaft near the hand wheel.

Heel down on the pedal raises the needle out of the work. If you take your foot off the gas the machine will stop with the needle down, just after the shuttle hook has caught the loop. This enables tight turns without any skipped stitches.

The needle positioner motors are a godsend. It greatly speeds up difficult stitching.

Both the Ferdco and the Cobra John uses have needle positioner motors. The new motors offered by Leather Machine Shop are much less expensive than the older NPS motors and give you the same results. (The ability to control the top speed. Stop the stitch in either needle up or down position.

I hope this helps clear up any remaining questions about what John's machines are.

If not let me know!

Matt Whitaker

General Manager

Frontier Gunleather

If not let me know!

Matt Whitaker

General Manager

Frontier Gunleather

John Bianchi passed away before cobra machines ever came out big lie

John Bianchi passed away before cobra machines ever came out big lie

Muleskiner,

I don't know where you got your information but John Bianchi has not passed away. He is now 78 years old. His father has passed away many years ago and bears the same name. The article at this link was also written by an uninformed person who didn't do due diligence before publishing a fabrication. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2001/apr/27/john-bianchi-founder-of-temecula-business-dies-at/

Before you go around claiming that someone told a lie you better get your damn facts straight.

John and I taught many years at the southwest leather trade show in Wickenburg, AZ.

Uninformed people who pass on their ignorance piss me off.

By the way it was probably a Efka DC 1600 motor on his Ferdco (it is uses with the control box in the picture) Very smooth motor who was replaced by the current sold DC 1550 (stronger an smaller like all "new" things are) I use them both and are very satisfied with them (they run on 220 V single PH only)

Tor

Needs to be the right treadle for the machine!

The 45k treadle is huge but compared to a 7 it is a toy.

Darren,
Any tips on how to manage that? I've found treadles are great but for slow speed stuff they're no patch on a servo because they need some good momentum to keep going and have penetration power.
Cheers.