mcn

Consew 206-Rb5 With Speed Reducer

I just installed a speed reducer on my Consew 206-RB5. What a difference it made in my machine, it now does what I had hoped it would do when I bought it. The speed control is is awesome and now it punches through leather that it could not before. I have a Servo motor with speed control on my Consew but it was still to fast for detailed sewing.

I don't know if the other brands of machines in this class have the same issues, but for this machine I wish I would have known to have one installed when I bought it.

errrr..

what exactly is a speed reducer?

i have searched and found no pics or description

is it just a smaller pulley?

has anyone ever tried using an electronic speed controller on a clutch motor?

errrr..

Here is a link http://www.allbrands.com/products/13324-superior-sr-2-speed-reducer-3-6-and-9-pulley-to-be I have one on a clutch motor and one on a servo ..And run another machine with out as I need the speed..

Here is a pic of our (Leather Machine Co., Inc.'s) speed reducer. The belt on the smallest pulley goes to the machine. The belt on the largest pulley goes to the motor.

errrr..

post-31308-022395700 1342473266_thumb.jp

thanks for that info.

i did actually find a pic of a speed reducer.

$145 plus shipping to Aus and waiting was too hard,

so i made one myself......!!

see the pic.

it might not look so neat and tidy but it works really really well.

now i have the speed i want/ need, nice and slow and very controllable.

before i did the speed reducer i was trying to get more control by extending the clutch arm,

this did help a bit also, so i left that but did not like using my left foot so did another addition so its under my right foot.

so now the whole thing looks pretty weird but HEY!! IT WORKS GOOD!!!

the pressure on the pedal is actually really nice, its like a long throw and sort of soft,

adjusting the tension on the return spring sets it up for the pressure you like.

all together it cost about $110 .

of course the bobbin winder is defunct, so next thing is to do a fix for that.

post-31457-080196700 1342511598_thumb.jp

Nice work on the DIY solution!

Here is another picture of a home made speed reducer. I have about $75 in this setup. 12" pulley to a 2" pulley. Most speed reducers are 3:1. This one is 6:1. I can sew at 10 stitches per min thru anything that will fit under the presser foot (1/2" of solid tooling leather) like a real hot knife thru butter with a #25 needle and 277 thread and still have variable speed control. That's speed control.

The wood mounting box is really just a mock up. My metal worker buddy was supposed to build me one out of steel but didn't get to it before his surgery. I would recommend a speed reducer of some kind for anybody trying to sew heavy leather.

I just installed a speed reducer on my Consew 206-RB5. What a difference it made in my machine, it now does what I had hoped it would do when I bought it. The speed control is is awesome and now it punches through leather that it could not before. I have a Servo motor with speed control on my Consew but it was still to fast for detailed sewing.

I don't know if the other brands of machines in this class have the same issues, but for this machine I wish I would have known to have one installed when I bought it.

post-19692-056913400 1342651691_thumb.jp

post-19692-094306400 1342658205_thumb.jp

Edited by Tim S

If you see an Amish cart or buggy on the side of the road without one wheel.....well you get the picture.

Art

Here is a pic of our (Leather Machine Co., Inc.'s) speed reducer. The belt on the smallest pulley goes to the machine. The belt on the largest pulley goes to the motor.

Can you supply it with belts ready to fit on a Pfaff MA 1245? I'm not good at modifications.

OK here ya' go. You might need to make the 3/8ths inch plate 1 1/2 inches longer I had to install a 3/4" spacer on the table in order to have clearance for the belt to fit around the 8" pulley. I milled the face of the smaller pulley to bring the vertical centers of the two pulleys closer. It ended up 1/16inch clearance for the machine belt to the side of the 8" pulley and I drilled the nut and bolt and put a cotter pin through it to hold everything in place.The new belts were the most expensive part of the project. Hope this helps.

snapback.pngCustomDoug, on 22 July 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Busted - you couldn't post a picture of that set up, could you?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• post-12567-008594200%201342959656_thumb.jpg
  • post-12567-007631200%201342959667_thumb.jpg
  • post-12567-011491800%201342959685_thumb.jpg

Here is a link http://www.allbrands...-9-pulley-to-be I have one on a clutch motor and one on a servo ..And run another machine with out as I need the speed..

OK here ya' go. You might need to make the 3/8ths inch plate 1 1/2 inches longer I had to install a 3/4" spacer on the table in order to have clearance for the belt to fit around the 8" pulley. I milled the face of the smaller pulley to bring the vertical centers of the two pulleys closer. It ended up 1/16inch clearance for the machine belt to the side of the 8" pulley and I drilled the nut and bolt and put a cotter pin through it to hold everything in place.The new belts were the most expensive part of the project. Hope this helps.

snapback.pngCustomDoug, on 22 July 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Busted - you couldn't post a picture of that set up, could you?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• post-12567-008594200%201342959656_thumb.jpg
  • post-12567-007631200%201342959667_thumb.jpg
  • post-12567-011491800%201342959685_thumb.jpg

Hi busted

I to managed to use some old parts around the house and made a speed reducer, but now I need another. I could do the same thing that you have done but I think you have done one thing I can't , as I can do no milling and we do not have a local machine shop anymore. Did you mill out the shafts and put sealed bearing in and did you pin the two pulleys together? Please correct me if I'm wrong and if you could suggest a way I could do this, please explain because your setup is great.

I've seen the same type of pulleys in a dryer(clothes) if you have any scrap yards around you might want to check as they have a nice sealed bearing too.

On 7/17/2012 at 3:55 AM, Pinsplitter said:

thanks for that info.

i did actually find a pic of a speed reducer.

$145 plus shipping to Aus and waiting was too hard,

so i made one myself......!!

Ha, that's great, and I'll bet works very well.