Chaed

Saddle Fit Frustrations

Hey all Leatherworkers! I have been silently lurking in the shadows until now, but the time has come that I need your advice...

The last saddler I went to told me: "Well, you don't have a typical western horse, so you've got to make compromises." And what he meant by that was that selling me a saddle that laid on the withers and pinched the shoulders was as good a deal as I'd get. If I padded it up enough it was going to be fine. He did not really manage to convince me...

Sadly, we only have around three western saddlers in Austria. Two of them didn't have anything for a non-quarterhorse type and one of them is too expensive for me. She's a 17yrs old something or other WarmbloodxLipizzan mix, 15.8 hands (161cm). I do mostly trailriding with her and for almost a year now I do it bareback. Before that I had a Billy Cook High Country Rancher that wasn't a perfect fit but lasted me for a few years until it started bridging and hurting so I sold it.

I was thinking about getting a custom tree built and putting the rest of the saddle together myself (long time big dream), but before that I want to ask you pros what you think of the shape of my horse. Is she really that hard to fit? I got used to riding bareback, but I don't want to do it for the rest of her life...

post-24601-026359300 1340010867_thumb.jp post-24601-084589300 1340010441_thumb.jp post-24601-040092300 1340010420_thumb.jp

Hi Chaed, sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding a saddle o fit you horse. Actually from the pics, you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting you horse, however; since you are in Austria, it is hard to speak to what is actually available. I would suggest a custom saddle for your horse, and of course the key part of "custom" is the tree. As for getting one that fits, there are several really good tree makers here on this web sight, and I am sure one of more of them will chime in here. Once you have a tree that fits the rest is a lot of work, but; do-able. If making your own, is the course you decide to take, then I would suggest the Stohlman Encyclopedia of Saddlemaking as your text books to achieve this. If you decide to have it done make sure that your saddler contacts one of the tree makers on this sight and they will get you guys going in the correct direction. Now there is one more suggestion, that would be to get a set of Lane templates and use them to measure your horse. Once that is done, a good tree maker can give you advice on what angle, gullet width, rock and so forth that you need to have in a saddle that you purchase so that it will fit. Short of making a saddle for you, that is the best advice I can give you. If I were making a saddle for you, the first place I would start is to make templates of the horses back and send those along with pics of your horse (you already have) to my tree maker to have the tree made, so that would be my advice for you.

Good luck, and of course don't hesitate to ask your questions here. There are some of the best saddle and tree makers in the world in residence here.

Bob

Thank you for your fast reply, Bob! I am glad that my horse is apparently only outside the austrian norm and not the international one. As for saddle making books I have all three of the Stohlman books and am waiting for my copy of the Harry Adams manual to arrive. I have also talked with Dennis Lane and he will send a set of his system to me. Once I have that I think I can make a lot more precise statements regarding the conformation of my horse's back.

After a lot of reading here on the forums I think that I will also go with a custom tree, as opposed to the semi custom ones from Bowden Inc. and Co. I have sent an email to Rod & Denise and hope that they will help me with the tree aspect of the saddle.

As for the saddle itself, thank you a lot for the offer of advice - I will surely need it. Once I have everything and start the project I will make sure to post the steps of my progress here so everyone who knows a bit of saddlemaking can shout out to me whenever I make a colossal mistake. :)

-Anne

I am glad to see the path you are taking! I am sure that Rod and Denise will more than satisfy your need for a good fitting saddle tree. Their work is exceptional and they rank in the top of the saddle tree business. As for the Stohlman books, personally I do not think that you can do any better, of course that is my opinion and like belly buttons, everybody has one! Am looking forward to seeing your progress towards your goal. Be careful, and take your time, you'll be rewarded by your horse, and you may find yourself making saddles for other folks too!

Bob

Anne,

Denise and Rod are fantastic and would help familiarize you with the Lane card system and are they great to work with. I think you will find your horse has a "S" shaped back and that most western trees aren't going to fit well. Does this horse have the general shape of majority of horses you intend to ride with the saddle? Usually it is advisable to fit the type of horse rather than an individual, but it's your call. I've got the Stolman books in my shop for references but would recomend Harry Adams book in front of them. I feel it is more straight forward and shows better examples. Especially the pictures of the ground seat. I would also recommend the Pete Gorrel saddle making series from Leathercrafter magazine and Lee Rice's saddle making section from How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear before the Stohlman books.

Give making your own a wirl. What I found out years ago was I couldn't hardly do worse then alot of the factory made saddles out there, if nothing else it'll make a great bar stool .

Good Luck,

Buck Reule

Coyote Saddlery

Mobridge SD

Just thought we would comment on this thread since it has come up again. Anne did get the DL system and sent us pictures and the measurements. The tree we have made for her is the same fit as two of our own saddles - built in the late 1980's and in 1990. It is 3 3/4" at the hand hole and 90 degree angle with moderate amount of crown to the bars. This was the "typical western Canadian ranch horse" fit 25 years ago. When Rod started building in 1996, he soon learned that 4 x 90 was better for the ranch horses around then, and now almost half the trees we build are wider and/or flatter than that. Everyone recognizes that the "average" horse has changed since the early 1900's, but it intersting to see in our stats the changes in proportions of horse shapes even in the last 16 years or so. Since large companies build for what is the most common "size" of horse, it is no wonder that most of what is available is too wide and flat for this horse. But this horse is pretty typical of what used to be a very common back shape - and a good shape of back to easily hold a saddle.

By the way, since my (Denise) saddle is my engagement ring/wedding present from Rod, it isn't going anywhere, and it is pretty hard to buy a horse to fit it these days!

Edited by Rod and Denise Nikkel

By the way, since my (Denise) saddle is my engagement ring/wedding present from Rod, it isn't going anywhere, and it is pretty hard to buy a horse to fit it these days!

With the price of good custom saddles nowadays, some passing $10,000, it may be the wise move to buy a horse to fit the saddle, rather than vice-versa, anyway!cowboy.gif

Thanks all for taking the time to review this thread - and of course Rod & Denise for building the tree!

Here are some pictures of it on the horse. I'm as happy with it as you can be with a bare tree and if everything goes well I'll start turning it into a saddle in a few weeks; doubtlessly spamming the Leatherworker forum with hundreds of questions! And as Buck says, after taking a closer look at the factory saddles around I feel positive that even if I make a horrible job, it can't be worse than what some people ride on around here.

post-24601-046271600 1346914139_thumb.jp post-24601-038994700 1346914143_thumb.jp

That tree is almost too pretty to cover. Congradulations:)