UKRay

Stuck In The Mud... Advice Wanted!

The weather has been foul in the UK this year. More rain than I know what to do with. This means the showgrounds are incredibly soft and muddy and my poor old VW Transporter van keeps getting stuck.

Aside from a tow from a stonkin' great 4x4, how do you get a heavily loaded, front wheel drive vehicle out of mud where you come from?

Is there any special kit (winches etc) that might help me get out of the mire on my own? All suggestions gratefully received.

Ray

You could try using two pieces of floorboards, or Something similarly flat and long. Push each one under your wheels and try and rub any mud off. If you start moving, don't stop!

Hello there...Ray you need to get a more agressive tread design on the tires. Have a look at the tire treads at your local Tire Dealer ,you will see an Off Road tire. Now that design will be a little more road noise.But this is the choice for you.

We use a chain and a come a long here. You would have to have an anchor point, such as a tree to help pull you out.

In case you are not familiar with the term Come Along

I've seen floor mats used to get you out of a mire. But the best rule is to walk the course before you even drive anywhere near it. If you sink... don't go that way in the van.

A large group of burly buddies can help push if you get stuck and I have also seen a group of 15 lift a Volkswagon bug and carry it out of a problem area.

One thing I know works with varying degrees of success is "rocking" the car... alternating between reverse and forward gears. But this works best when you aren't axle deep in the muck. (don't ask) Do this rocking technique until you build enough momentum to go forward... and once you get going ..... go like hell.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The problem has always been getting out of the site not getting in. I drive the empty van to the pitch, load up and watch it sink as the load goes on. This is a two ton van, not a bug, and it is fully loaded with a canvas 16x16 marquee plus all the stock and display kit (see attached pics). It definitely isn't going to be picked up and carried lol! Rocking and pushing sounds like a good idea until you try it with a loaded van. in 10" of mud... Also, I generally work the shows alone so there isn't anyone to help (or push) if I get stuck. Same applies to pushing stuff under the wheels. You need assistance to get them under and you can't drive at the same time

The 'come along' is a great idea (I didn't know what it was until I saw it!) and I have just invested in some ex-military ground anchors and a good sledge hammer. Hopefully they will dig in enough to give a solid pull.

Has anyone had experience of snow chains in mud? (great suggestion, Anne)

I thought long and hard about heavy pattern tyres but I drive long distances every weekend and, as you so rightly say Luke, the road noise is unbelievable when you fit them to a panel van. I'd need both hands to cover my ears!

Ray

post-6314-064259000 1340136942_thumb.jpg

post-6314-045962500 1340136979_thumb.jpg

post-6314-082872700 1340136994_thumb.jpg

post-6314-011480700 1340137008_thumb.jpg

A UniMog hope that's spelled right, anyway your close enough to be able to get one. Chains work pretty durn good in mud. Maybe a couple of boards to drive onto while you load then floorboard it to get a running start !!

Going with the tallest, and widest tire you can will help, as well as lowering the tire pressure to get a wider footprint.Nylon tow straps wil also work if you have a pulling vehicle available. Winches are only good for the length of the cable,and the motors need a rest to keep from burning up on long drags. You need a couple of small sandbags to weigh down the cable in case it come loose. The cable can become deadly if not restrained. The sandbags are hung over the cable in a couple of locations, and will deflect the cable downward if it snaps, or comes loose.

When using a come-along with pickets you also will need some rope. You drive 3 pickets inline into the muck with the tops angling away from the vehicle, then lash from the top ofthe front one to the bottom of the middle one, then the top of the middle one to the bottom of the last one.The come-along gets attached to the bottom of the first one. This will get you out, but it is very laborious.When you are out you need to remove the pickets, which can also be fun. The best thing is to not go in with a vehicle that you know will get stuck in the first place. What about borrowing, or renting a 4 wheel drive for the event?

Easiest solution is ditch the volkswagen and get a landrover. An ex military ambulance should give you similar carrying capacity and it's unlikely to get stuck.

All good advice, and I thank you all for it, but the cost of running a 4x4 is tooooooo heavy. I'm getting around 50 mpg fully loaded from the VW. A LandRover will do 20 at best - more likely 16. A Unimog would be wonderful. I have always wanted one! Once again, fuel costs are a barrier. A Mog is a thirsty beast and I'm travelling up to 400 miles to get to a show.

Honest guys, I do look very closely at the field before driving on it...

I'm not planning on using the 'escape kit' too often but I need to make some decisions very soon. The hand operated 'come-along' has been ordered - I know it will be laborious to use but when there is no other option it will, at least, get me out and on my way home.

I have never fitted snow chains - is there any advice I ought to have before spending money?

Thanks,

Ray

Chains will fit a range of tires, and will need to be fitted to your particular tires once purchased. You need a set of bolt cutters to do this.Once trimmed to size they are not that hard to put on. You would want to put them on before entering the field, as trying to put themon after getting stuck would be a mess.

Another item that you may want to purchase is a HY-Lift jack, sometimes called a handyman jack. Off road shops carry them here in the states. They are a ratcheting type of jack, and they are very versatile. They have a 7,000# lifting capacity, and will lft several feet high. They come in 48", and 60" tall configurations. You see these strapped to Jeeps , and other off road vehicles here. I own several myself, and have used them for many things over the years. I have bought all of mine second hand, and have paid from $5 to $25 each. All of mine are the forged/cast style, not the fabbed sheet steel version.

I would like some more info on your VeeDub. 50mpg loaded!? Diesel? Pictures? I have a 2001 Dodge Cummins HO turbo diesel 3500 4x4 dually extra cab 6spd.My best is 22 mpg unloaded.Pretty good considering it weighs 8,000# empty, 4:10 gears,4x4, and it has the aerodynamics of a barn. Weighing in at 18,000# towing a trailer I got 13mpg on a 700 mile trip which included some looooooooong steep grades.Of course or fuel costs here are less expensive. I paid $3.55 a gallon for diesel a couple of weeks ago in Las Vegas. Mesquite NV has it for $3:69 a gallon. I thought I was doing great with my 98 Saturn SW2 averaging 40mpg. .

If I understand you correctly, you are getting bogged down as you are stopped and load the van. Try carrying 4 2x12x48"planks, put them down and park/stop on them. That should give you a wide enough footprint to stop you from sinking in. Once loaded drive off without stopping until you reach solid ground, then retrieve your planks. The planks can also be used in conjuction with jacks to lift bogged down wheels, place a plank under to free yourself.

Edited by RickHodges

The van is red... and that is the extent of my vehicle knowledge. Oh, and it is right hand drive for all those of you who drive on the wrong side of the road. lol.

Brilliant idea, Rick. I'll deal with that one asap. Blowed if I know where I'll put 'em but I'll find a space somewhere!

Now where do I put the jacks and chains?

Ray

UkRay

Biggundoctor's suggestion is real good about the HY-Lift it also can be set up to be used as a come-along by using shackles an strategically placed holes. This gives you multiple options. One other option you might consider for your situation is ramps for loading motorcycles, these usually come in aluminum and are light if you rig up some ply wood to them they could help you slide item in to the van. If you get stuck they could be placed under a tire for traction like floor mats and wood that has been suggested. The ramps have given me traction when my 1ton Dually Dodge 4x4 with 3 horse trailer and horses were stuck, after the frost had thawed leaving the ground slick and muddy.

Eddie

EK

Leather and Iron Works.

Ray just think how cool it would be driving up in a Unimog. Plus you could make some extra money pulling folks out when they were stuck or you could do it for free and be the hero. Either way a win win. A man with your money cost isn't a problem. :-)

I wish i got 50 miles to the gallon. 31.5 miles is the best i have ever done. I did find a picture of your van on the net and would love to have one. But we can't buy them because of the chicken tax. You can read about it here. https://www.google.com/search?q=chicken+tax&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a Anyway hope you kill a bear and i hope you don't get stuck again.

You have no idea how much I want a Unimog... but it ain't going to happen any time soon!

Money? I just have a huge pile of leather, a box full of tools and a load of bills - just like every other leatherworker I have ever met. lol.

Hopefully, thanks to everyone's kindness, I'll have a couple of 'get out of jail free' card to play next time I get stuck.

Cheers guys,

Ray

As for the planks attach them the the back of the van with some long ropes. When you drive off them the ropes will pull them along till you stop. Saves you from having to walk so far back to get them. Same trick is used with floor mats. FYI, you can place the edge of the floor mat under the tire without assistance. But the planks are better put on before.

As for the planks attach them the the back of the van with some long ropes. When you drive off them the ropes will pull them along till you stop. Saves you from having to walk so far back to get them. Same trick is used with floor mats. FYI, you can place the edge of the floor mat under the tire without assistance. But the planks are better put on before.

Superb idea!

Ray

Another alternative would be to switch to stam fairs, always pleny of interesting vehicles to tow you out ;)

Snow chains will only work if there's a solid bottom otherwise you'll only do a better job of sinking the vehicle.

I would be looking at putting a winch on the vehicle.

If you get a receiver mount you can use it front or back.

I would get some winter tread tires with very aggressive tread pattern. I added some photos of the tread that might work for your VW??..

The weather has been foul in the UK this year. More rain than I know what to do with. This means the showgrounds are incredibly soft and muddy and my poor old VW Transporter van keeps getting stuck.

Aside from a tow from a stonkin' great 4x4, how do you get a heavily loaded, front wheel drive vehicle out of mud where you come from?

Is there any special kit (winches etc) that might help me get out of the mire on my own? All suggestions gratefully received.

Ray

post-12567-031970300 1340569429_thumb.jp

post-12567-003126900 1340569443_thumb.jp

post-12567-024802300 1340569475_thumb.jp

I use a grip hoist which is rated for 7500 lbs 100 foot cable to winch my wind generator tower (75 feet) up like a giant hinge....there are a lot of forces pulling on that grip hoist before th load starts to lighten up at a 45 degree angle and better.

The grip hoists comes in various sizes and cable lengths. They move slow! However they can be used for other things

002-5.jpg

003-7.jpg

003-3.jpg

Oh boy where does one start ,a come along is little more than a fence stretcher unless you move into the very heavy duty kind . Being a veteran of Texas oilfields I would rather nave a chain fall with a multiplier maybe two to share the weight . Then again whats wrong with a frame mounted winch ?

The problem has always been getting out of the site not getting in. I drive the empty van to the pitch, load up and watch it sink as the load goes on. This is a two ton van, not a bug, and it is fully loaded with a canvas 16x16 marquee plus all the stock and display kit (see attached pics). It definitely isn't going to be picked up and carried lol! Rocking and pushing sounds like a good idea until you try it with a loaded van. in 10" of mud... Also, I generally work the shows alone so there isn't anyone to help (or push) if I get stuck. Same applies to pushing stuff under the wheels. You need assistance to get them under and you can't drive at the same time

The 'come along' is a great idea (I didn't know what it was until I saw it!) and I have just invested in some ex-military ground anchors and a good sledge hammer. Hopefully they will dig in enough to give a solid pull.

I thought long and hard about heavy pattern tyres but I drive long distances every weekend and, as you so rightly say Luke, the road noise is unbelievable when you fit them to a panel van. I'd need both hands to cover my ears!

Ray

Oh boy where does one start ,a come along is little more than a fence stretcher unless you move into the very heavy duty kind . Being a veteran of Texas oilfields I would rather nave a chain fall with a multiplier maybe two to share the weight . Then again whats wrong with a frame mounted winch ?

Ray

Since the Mog is out of the question, and you have several viable ideas, can I go ahead and suggest just adding a hover craft conversion to the van? Or perhaps having some of the boys in the RAF come pick you up with a helicopter?

For storage on the van, you should have no difficulty building a low plywood floor that allows you to slide the planks under it. That way, even when loaded, you can get the planks out.