UKRay

Stuck In The Mud... Advice Wanted!

We get a lot of rain where I am at, too. It's not a whole bunch all at once, but rather a continued light rain for extended periods of time. The creates puddles of standing water on the roads, occasional landslides, and the squishy, soft ground you'd expect.

Well, I got tired of hydroplaning on the roadways with the sanding water, dealing with muddy spots and getting stuck, and the dealing terrible control in the snow. I used to drive a front wheel drive sedan that drove great under ideal conditions, but those conditions are far a few between here. I ultimately went with a Subaru. A newish one that had the modern traction control, but old enough to have depreciated in value to be affordable. I can't say enough about the handling in outright nasty conditions Subaru has. I have had no issues with getting stuck in mud, hydroplaning, or snow. When it snowed last, I had some half bald all season tires and never bothered to put on any chains. It was such a drastic difference and easily explains why there is such a heavy saturation of Subarus in this region. It really feels like "everyone" drives on here.

I don't know if they are as prevalent in your area, but I do know you guys like to rally race, and that is one of those things that Subaru is known for. This makes me think that they probably aren't that uncommon and should be available at a low cost.

So, aside from carrying around a small lumber yard with you to create makeshift rail road tracks for your van, an affordable vehicle with enough room and some better traction control is probably the best bet. That is, of course, if the budget allows.