Sign in to follow this  
NancyD

Fixing Dye Disaster

Just dyed the banjo strap that I've got over 20 hours into, and I'm just sick. I've been doing leatherwork for many years and have never had such a disaster. I used the new Eco Super Sheen - 2 coats - for the resist. The first coat dried overnight. The second coat dried for 4 hours. The dye is the old Tandy Antique Leather Stain - Mahogany. Any thoughts on what went wrong? Also any ideas on how I might be able to save this without a complete re-do? As I said I've never had such a thing happen before so I'm kind of at a loss. Can I deglaze the resisted portions and paint over with Cova paints? Any help much appreciated!

post-31530-005092700 1340130292_thumb.jp

post-31530-042115300 1340130299_thumb.jp

post-31530-069661700 1340130306_thumb.jp

OH DEAR!!

I know exactly what went wrong. Eco Flo Super Sheen does not resist Dyes, Antiques or Stains.... it will only resist the Highliters.

I do like the look of what you have though.... to me it looks like old parchment. Keep your mouth shut to the customer... chances are he will love it as is.

Thanks, Sylvia. I wondered if that was it, but since this is the third project I've done since I got the new bottle of Super Sheen, and the other two came out just fine (but they were done with a different stain (dark brown), I wasn't sure. I think the mahogany was just too much for it. Well drat! So any suggestions on what to use in the future?

OH DEAR!!

I know exactly what went wrong. Eco Flo Super Sheen does not resist Dyes, Antiques or Stains.... it will only resist the Highliters.

I do like the look of what you have though.... to me it looks like old parchment. Keep your mouth shut to the customer... chances are he will love it as is.

I switched to acrylic resolene mixed 50/50 with water for the exact reason you just experienced. My antique jobs turn out great every time now. I let it dry 24 hours before antiquing.

Radar: brings up a good point... Dry time. It may be that you didn't let the second coat dry long enough and that is the coat the took the color. A general rule of thumb is to allow it to dry over night at least.

I've heard of a Tandy product called "block out" but I've not tried it and have absolutely no idea if it will help.

Nocturn provided an option at this thread... he said it works well.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14550

Thanks, Sylvia, and Radar! I checked Tandy's catalog, and the Eco-Flo Super Sheen description says "May be used to resist or block the effects of acrylic stains or antiques for highlighting areas", so I think I'll call them tomorrow and see if they will replace the strap. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Drying time probably was a key too, and I may try their Block Out. I thank you both for your input. Much appreciated!

Radar: brings up a good point... Dry time. It may be that you didn't let the second coat dry long enough and that is the coat the took the color. A general rule of thumb is to allow it to dry over night at least.

I've heard of a Tandy product called "block out" but I've not tried it and have absolutely no idea if it will help.

Nocturn provided an option at this thread... he said it works well.

http://leatherworker...showtopic=14550

I think the strap looks great. Don't try to fix it, just do some testing for future work so you can figure out what exactly happened.

CTG

I have looked closley at the pictures...

It looks like you have spots where antiquing color is stronger = The sheen is thicker at these places (been there, done that).

To avoid this in the future the layer of resist needs to be evenly put on, airbrush or a piece of cloth maybe? I always let the last and second layer of sheene/resist dry for at least 24 hours, it makes it less likley to "go strikey" on me. This method works for me, good luck//Tina

Been working to salvage the banjo strap. Thought you might like to see the results. Now this I'm ready to put my name on!

post-31530-050614600 1340393779_thumb.jppost-31530-041625300 1340393783_thumb.jppost-31530-076708100 1340393786_thumb.jp

Edited by NancyD

Been working to salvage the banjo strap. Thought you might like to see the results. Now this I'm ready to put my name on!

post-31530-050614600 1340393779_thumb.jppost-31530-041625300 1340393783_thumb.jppost-31530-076708100 1340393786_thumb.jp

That is some very nice work..

1340393900[/url]' post='253705']

Very, very nice. Thanks so much for sharing.