jayjay

Push Beveler?

Has anyone used this puch beveler? Is a CS osborne. Is this the same as the nylon speed beveler from Springfield?

osb447pushbev.jpg

Has anyone used this puch beveler? Is a CS osborne. Is this the same as the nylon speed beveler from Springfield?

osb447pushbev.jpg

I'd be interested in this too.

I have one of those tools and have used it some and don't particularly like it. IMHO it is kind of tricky to use. I have used it to bevel long straight cuts like borders on pieces. Because it is very narrow/thin it seems hard to control free hand. I have had the best luck using and metal ruler/straight edge as a guide.Getting and keeping the straight edge lined up with the cut in the leather is tricky. It's pretty easy to veer off out of the cut causing one to say some pretty ugly words! There are other push bevelers out there, like one that Barry King makes that have a wider face that look to me like they might be easier to control and I'd like to try one of those.

Bill

I have the BK push beveler. Short learning curve, but is great for borders. You won't use anything else if you get one.

thanks guys I will check out the BK beveler. I was looking for a faster way to border belts.

post-4812-040694600 1340571453_thumb.jpg

osb447pushbev.jpg

The "nylon" push beveler from Springfield is nothing like the one you pictured. It fits into a swivel knife, has a fairly broad face and is very easy to learn to use on straights and curves. It's also relatively inexpensive (If you happen to have a spare swivel knife laying around). See photo above showing beveler mounted in the swivel knife and then the loose bevelers.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

Dick Levitz, from the Tooling Bench made a left handed push beveler for me out of an old Osborne creaser. I was amazed at how easy it was to use the first time I picked it up. It is by far easier to control on belts and long runs than either the Osborne push beveler or the swivel knife type. I can get more pressure on it than I can with the straight handle and it makes a nice crisp bevel. i can even tip it to get a narrow, tight bevel.

JOE

post-4812-040694600 1340571453_thumb.jpg

The "nylon" push beveler from Springfield is nothing like the one you pictured. It fits into a swivel knife, has a fairly broad face and is very easy to learn to use on straights and curves. It's also relatively inexpensive (If you happen to have a spare swivel knife laying around). See photo above showing beveler mounted in the swivel knife and then the loose bevelers.

Paul

Beat me to it!! I'm a big fan of my swivel beveler and it does work great for doing a nice bead around the border. Just grab that and one of the cheapo tandy swivel barrels and you're off.

Does anyone have a link to the BK beveler? I looked on his site but couldn't find it.

Does anyone have a link to the BK beveler? I looked on his site but couldn't find it.

First one on the page

http://www.barrykingtools.com/handtools.htm

http://www.barryking.../handtools.htm. Not sure why this link won't work, but it is under the hand tools link at the bottom of his home page.

You have a period after the htm at the end of it.