Sign in to follow this  
AndreasB

Minimum Leather Thickness For Carving?

Hi everyone,

I would like to make a leather bookmark with a nice carving. It will be my first sheridan project. I got a pattern already so I'm ready to go. Since the bookmark should be as thin as possible to not mess with the book I would like to know if there's a minimum thickness for the leather you would recommend so it is still ok to tool and carve.

Thanks

Andreas

2/3 is pretty skinny unless you back it with the same. I like using 3/4 or even 4/5. Tape the back then glue to cardboard and you can get some nice depth and no stretch.

As a tip- I think of 4 oz as the same thickness as a u.s. quarter. 8 oz as two stacked . I carry a few quarters with me when I shop for leather in the scrap bin.

pete

2/3 is pretty skinny unless you back it with the same. I like using 3/4 or even 4/5. Tape the back then glue to cardboard and you can get some nice depth and no stretch.

As a tip- I think of 4 oz as the same thickness as a u.s. quarter. 8 oz as two stacked . I carry a few quarters with me when I shop for leather in the scrap bin.

pete

Totally agree, at least 4oz, I used to use a cheap sliding micrometer measured in 64ths but I ordered some templates from BlackRiver Laser and they sent me a neat little guage with a wedge in it and measurements in ozs (64ths), you slide the leather edge in and where it stops shows you the thickness in ozs.

I really like it.

Ken

post-6362-086516400 1340944176_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chief31794