Sign in to follow this  
travelerr

New Twist On An Old Idea.........hammer Tie Down

Hello all.

Started making a few holsters and was glad to find this forum, a wealth of information and inspiration. My initial attempt at holster making has been fun and some have turned out good.........some not so good. I have a little Heritage .22 revolved that needed a holster. My first build was an old design I call the tradional "hunting" design and it turned out ok and functioned ok. However I didn't like the retainment strap, it always seemed to be in the way when reholstering the gun. I've made simple mexican loop holsters with a hammer tie down made from leather lace. Again, it works but not quite what I want. I've had an idea in my head for a new hammer tie down and this is my first prototype. It's a simple strap which loops over the hammer and then is pulled tight using a snap. So far so good. I realize there is more than one way to skin a cat, but be gentle as this is my first attempt.

I am looking for your expert opinions. Have you seen anything like this setup before? Do you think it will last (I'm curious to see if the leather stretches with time and becomes a loose fit). Any recommendation to make it better? I realize this won't work for all applications, just for use on a hunting/utility holster for a secure tie down. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

First attemp at left, modified version on right

post-29450-096422600 1340740078_thumb.jp

post-29450-043187300 1340740114_thumb.jp

post-29450-066625000 1340740141_thumb.jp

that's pretty slick!

Hello all.

Started making a few holsters and was glad to find this forum, a wealth of information and inspiration. My initial attempt at holster making has been fun and some have turned out good.........some not so good. I have a little Heritage .22 revolved that needed a holster. My first build was an old design I call the tradional "hunting" design and it turned out ok and functioned ok. However I didn't like the retainment strap, it always seemed to be in the way when reholstering the gun. I've made simple mexican loop holsters with a hammer tie down made from leather lace. Again, it works but not quite what I want. I've had an idea in my head for a new hammer tie down and this is my first prototype. It's a simple strap which loops over the hammer and then is pulled tight using a snap. So far so good. I realize there is more than one way to skin a cat, but be gentle as this is my first attempt.

I am looking for your expert opinions. Have you seen anything like this setup before? Do you think it will last (I'm curious to see if the leather stretches with time and becomes a loose fit). Any recommendation to make it better? I realize this won't work for all applications, just for use on a hunting/utility holster for a secure tie down. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

First attemp at left, modified version on right

post-29450-096422600 1340740078_thumb.jp

post-29450-043187300 1340740114_thumb.jp

post-29450-066625000 1340740141_thumb.jp

From the grump: All of the hammer tie-downs I have seen and used over the years can be released by a flick of the thumb while gripping the shooter.. I'm just not too sure of this rig, but if it works for you -- OK. I'm not too fond about having to reach the front and unsnap the thing first, then be sure it gets off the hammer. Maybe with practice. I will say that it looks neat though. Mike

I'm sorta thinkin this is a new twist on an old idea. I like out of the box thinking. Keep us posted on how it works.

Love this and hope u don't mind if I borrow the idea. I carry an old Ruger Blackhawk into the woods and have had that old trusty pistol snatched right out of my holster from horseback before. Luckily I found it. I am more into securing my pistol than having a fast draw.

Love this and hope u don't mind if I borrow the idea. I carry an old Ruger Blackhawk into the woods and have had that old trusty pistol snatched right out of my holster from horseback before. Luckily I found it. I am more into securing my pistol than having a fast draw.

That's kinda my thinking as well. This utility/hunting type holster usually has a foldover retention strap and I believe my design can serve as an alternative. Like Mike pointed out, it's not going to replace the leather lace on western style rigs, but for pure retainment purposes I seem to like it better than the tradional snap strap. I dunno, i thought i would get your opinions/feedback. If you use it, post a pic as I would love to see how you incorporate it. Thanks

I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if it accomplishes what you wanted it to accomplish. My only suggestion would be to either remove the plated cap from the snap, or use the same stud for the female part of the snap that you use on the male part, and run the second piece of leather (the part attached to the hammer) over it. This will hide the snap and make for a smoother appearance.

Bronson

I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if it accomplishes what you wanted it to accomplish. My only suggestion would be to either remove the plated cap from the snap, or use the same stud for the female part of the snap that you use on the male part, and run the second piece of leather (the part attached to the hammer) over it. This will hide the snap and make for a smoother appearance.

Bronson

Thanks Bronson for the ideas. I thought of making the strap one long piece as well..... but not until it was too late, I had the snap on already and also I didn't make the strap wide enough to stitch around the snap if I covered it up. Next time I make a holster with this setup I'll need to improve it. I have to thank you for the tip though, I never even thought about using the same stud for the female part as i would on the male, that seems easier than removing the plate from the snap as I've seen done before. It's a work in progress! Thanks for your input.

If you really wanted to be slick, make the holster 'Katass' style with two thinner weights of leather, then your snap is hidden in the middle and the reinforcement piece is not needed.

I can see where you would want that and very innovative, I myself prefer to get to my shooter a little quicker.