Newbee

Mailbox (Nostalgia)

Our family reunion will be held at Diana, WV this year. We have an auction each year. The proceeds are used to pay for food and emergency money for any family member who needs help. This piece of nostalgia has two pictures of the house I grew up in. One was taken in 1920, the other around 1970. A picture of my Great Grandparents on the back. My Great Grandfather built the house in 1900. The house was passed on to my Grandfather (picture on front). I used the 2-Shews technique to get the photos on the leather.

post-15395-083928400 1341145635_thumb.jp

post-15395-037690700 1341145641_thumb.jp

post-15395-053182300 1341145646_thumb.jp

post-15395-085486900 1341145652_thumb.jp

Edited by Newbee

Very nice. The story behind it makes it even better and the auction thing is a great idea to keep family close. Great job! RW

That is so cool! Thanks for showing it. I'm fairly new at leather work so I have no idea what 2-shew technique is, but I like it.

Charlie

That is so cool! Thanks for showing it. I'm fairly new at leather work so I have no idea what 2-shew technique is, but I like it.

Charlie

I forgot to mention that I copied my Grandfather and Great Grandfather's signitures from their WWI Draft Regestration Cards and using the picture transfer method added their signitures to the box above the houses.

I stumbled onto leather crafting a couple years ago. I also love photography. I have tried all kinds of techniques to transfer pictures onto leather. Billy 2-Shews offers a video demonstrating the technique he uses. http://www.leatherworker.net/whois.htm They ask for a 25.00 donation. I had to think about it for a long time. I finally gave in and got the video. It is worth 25.00, and the technique does work. I was pretty amazed watching him work. Besides transfering the picture, he finishes the picture in a unique fashion. I am really grateful for all the information and advice I have received from people at leatherworking.net! (FOR FREE). Joanna states that 2-Shews has an illness and will not be doing leather anymore. I have no idea about his condition at present, but I certainally hope the donation has helped in some way. There is another technique I learned about from this site. It leads to another site which explains a technique using 80% Zippo Lighter Fluid and 20% Damar Varnish. The image is printed on baking paper, using a Lazer Printer. The mixture is applied lightly on the leather becoming tacky. The image is than transfered to the leather. I have a Lazer printer, but the baking paper will not run through it without getting jammed. I want to try a different brand Lazer Printer to see if the baking paper will feed through without getting jammed.

Edited by Newbee