Sign in to follow this  
CodaWolf

Finishes For Tool Rolls And Saddle Bags

OK I have made a few holsters and other fun items but I have decided to make a tool roll for a friend. After searching for an appropriate finish for a project like this All i have found is further questions. For my holsters I typically use mop&glow cut down 50/50 with top coat of a neutral shoe polish. Will this hold up the constant sun exposure or are there better finishes that can be used on a bike.

Thanks

-Lon

I will also be sure to share pictures when I get it done :)

Edited by CodaWolf

I use Fiebing's Snow Proof on seats and tool bags. I use 8-9oz. leather. Veg tanned leather will get wet but I think it looks better when weathered.

I use Fiebing's Snow Proof on seats and tool bags. I use 8-9oz. leather. Veg tanned leather will get wet but I think it looks better when weathered.

Thank you for the reply. One more quick question, Have you tried it on leather that has been vinegarooned? I really like black I can get with it but it does seem to make the leather a little more resistant to water (at least initially) and you can't stamp it after words thumbsup.gif

No. I haven't. I've used it on stuff I dyed black,though. A lot of customers think veg tanned repels water like oil tanned. I tell them it won't and some are bothered by it and others aren't. I might try some vinagroon although do I like the way stuff looks when the black dye starts to wear off.

Edited by bustedlifter

No. I haven't. I've used it on stuff I dyed black,though. A lot of customers think veg tanned repels water like oil tanned. I tell them it won't and some are bothered by it and others aren't. I might try some vinagroon although do I like the way stuff looks when the black dye starts to wear off.

The wear is one thing you won't see with the rooned leather if anything you will start to see a grey color where it gets a heavy scratch or cut but a little oil or finish seams to darken it right back. The leather gets real stiff when rooned, if you are wet molding it is easier to do before you roon it or at the same time. I am curious to see how well it holds up to the sun. I guess I will find out. When I get it completed later this week I'll post pics.

Thanks.

The wear is one thing you won't see with the rooned leather if anything you will start to see a grey color where it gets a heavy scratch or cut but a little oil or finish seams to darken it right back. The leather gets real stiff when rooned, if you are wet molding it is easier to do before you roon it or at the same time. I am curious to see how well it holds up to the sun. I guess I will find out. When I get it completed later this week I'll post pics.

Thanks.

That would be cool. I had a seat I made, that I thought it was too small and wasn't happy with the pan, lying around the garage. My son kind of used it on his big wheel and left it outside when he was done with it. I decided to leave it outside and did so for about the next six months. Rain, snow, freezing temps and blazing sun gave it a finish unmatched by anything I've ever seen.

Ok as promised the pictures... I still have to put the mounting hardware on. BTW where the heck can you find the anti twist brackets for a windshield mount?

post-17062-051533900 1341689954_thumb.jp

post-17062-052327000 1341689960_thumb.jp

post-17062-081568700 1341689965_thumb.jp

post-17062-049416700 1341689971_thumb.jp

Where does one acquire a clasp like you have on that bag?

Thanks, I'll check it out next time I'm there.

jp cycles has a windshield bracket for your own style windshield bags. i used it on my windshield bag.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/751-810

its a saddleman windshield bag bracket click on above link