Hello Everyone

I'm looking for a PDF parten for a Jack Sap like the one in the picture or very similar.

Tks

post-25300-059370600 1341840411_thumb.jp

Hello Everyone

I'm looking for a PDF parten for a Jack Sap like the one in the picture or very similar.

Tks

I've got a couple of old Sap here somewhere. Could take some close up photos if you like to make a pattern... they are not exactly like your photos but close... They were carried some years ago before TASERS were invented. LOL

Let me know..

That would be great, at least I can get a good view, too bad you don’t have a scanner for the real size and dimension?

Tks a millions looking fwd for the pictures<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Edited by Rock

That would be great, at least I can get a good view, too bad you don't have a scanner for the real size and dimension?

Tks a millions looking fwd for the pictures<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Took me a few days to find it. Bottom of a holster box.... I photographed it on an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper with a ruler for scale. Let me know if I can help any more. Did not try to scan it. Would if the photo dosn't work..

post-5041-034849100 1342899112_thumb.jpg

Edited by DoubleBarP

They were carried some years ago before TASERS were invented. LOL

Many of brands of duty pants are still made with sap pockets, though these days they say they are for a baton or flashlight.

Took me a few days to find it. Bottom of a holster box...

Looks exactly like the one I never carried while on duty.

Perfect for calming down those flopping fish in the bottom of the boat.

Looks exactly like the one I never carried while on duty.

Perfect for calming down those flopping fish in the bottom of the boat.

LOL Gotta love a sailor. Oh wait, I DO!! (hubby was USN and served on the USS Kincaid)

Rock: one of the first things you'll learn is that there aren't always patterns available. Your example looks pretty straight forward.... it's just a Long Very Narrow Heart shape... with the point docked off and a strap attached. Get yourself some graph paper or use the downloads here and print some. http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ You'll need it if you are going to venture into pattern making by hand.

If it were me.... I would use a manilla file folder and cut my long heart free hand... pretty simple actually. But for the straight-line challenged... a ruler and a jar lid should give you the radius and the straight lines you nee to accomplish the shape of the jack.

You definitely want to the terminus of the "handle" to flare back out a bit. the leather can easily slide out of the gloved hand, or if the hands are slippery from fish slime, etc..

If I were to make my own, I would use #9 chilled lead shot in the head, and would like a noose style wrist loop with a single attachment point, for added retention during heavy rolls.

Rock:

After looking at the photo I decided to trace it on a sheet of paper and make a pdf image of it. You should be able to just print and use that as a pattern to start with.. When I started and still do find making a pattern a challenge.. So I'm willing to help if I can. PM me your email address and I'll send it as soon as I get it done...

DBP

Edited by DoubleBarP

PDF of Sap traceing... for pattern..

DBP

That is wonderful so nice to get help,

Rock

That is wonderful so nice to get help,

Rock

I hope it works for you. I did take a photo and post it also.. Let me know if I can help out with more info...

DBP

Is the whole thing filled with lead or just the "business end"?

If you look at the photo and tracing you can see a small strap attached by rivits to one end. At the other larger end is the weighted material. I would have to "deconstruct" the sap to determint exactly how everything fits on the inside. That would be problematic.. I have another one somewhere. If I run across it I'll tear it apart and post photos...

DBP

the head is weighted, and there is typically a spring steel band running the length internally to give it rigidity and "snap".

There was another thread on here a while back that had some information on this. It must have used a different name for them cause I can't find it when I do a search. Maybe someone else remembers it.

DoubleBarP that would be great if you could take one apart and post some pictures.

I just finished my prototype last night. It has a piece of spring steel from rivet to rivet and I filled the thumpin' end with steel shot. I am thinking about promoting it as a body massager. :rolleyes2:

post-25805-040811700 1343235340_thumb.jp

I just finished my prototype last night.

Nice work...

A word of caution in that the basket weave can leave a rather "distinctive" impression; should you ever be brought up in charges of excessive force. The black&blue welt can be directly matched to your sap, and you work for a department that prohibits them, well I'm just saying your union attorney may not represent you.

_IF_ I were to make one, hypothetically speaking of course:

The handle area would be three layers thick and the head is 5 layers thick, or 7 layers for an exceptionally heavily weighty head.

The center layers are simply bolster/spacer to a to provide a hollow place for the spring steel band in the handle, and a cavity in the head for the lead/shot.

I just finished my prototype last night. It has a piece of spring steel from rivet to rivet and I filled the thumpin' end with steel shot. I am thinking about promoting it as a body massager. :rolleyes2:

post-25805-040811700 1343235340_thumb.jp

Looks good. I would echo the BW weave leaving a very colorful distinctive bruse which may come back to haunt the operator in the event of use... I'm looking around for the other one I have (as I recall its pretty beat up). If I find it I'll deconstruct and photo / trace same and send photos..

DBP

Looks good. I would echo the BW weave leaving a very colorful distinctive bruse which may come back to haunt the operator in the event of use...

DBP

So I guess putting my maker stamp on it is a bad thing? :rolleyes2:

Nice work...

A word of caution in that the basket weave can leave a rather "distinctive" impression; should you ever be brought up in charges of excessive force. The black&blue welt can be directly matched to your sap, and you work for a department that prohibits them, well I'm just saying your union attorney may not represent you.

So I guess my makers stamp is out!

So I guess my makers stamp is out!

That depends upon your local Laws and Ordinances and if you are a LEO, your Department Regulations.

OFF DUTY, or as a private citizen, I can legally carry an impact weapon, after taking a State Certified 4 hour class) but as a L.E.O. according to my department regulations, could not carry a sap, or a collapsible or steel baton. Only a hickory baton. Heck I cannot eve have a "T" handle on my wooden baton. Even my flashlight must be under a certain dimension and cannot be made of metal! The last military Command I worked L.E. at, we could not even wear "drop down" or "thigh" holster because the C.O. deemed they were "too intimidating". But I digress.

Very nice! A little creativity and a great piece.

Hello Everyone

Tks

I made this up today. It's on 1/4 inch graph paper

post-25805-027089000 1346008786_thumb.jp

Hi All!!

O.K. I am in! I think these are great! Some questions I need cleared up...

• I understand you are using lead shot (#9) What keeps it from coming out at your strap slot?
  • Are you using a gusset piece for the shot to lay in? If so does the front rivet hold that together in the mid section where there is no stitching (to keep the shot in)?
  • The spring steel piece, do the rivets go all the way through?

Here is a photo of my attempt.

One is oil tan chap and the other is 5oz veg tan,

I sewed these on my chap machine w/92 thread, much to light. I think I would use my saddle stitcher with 207 (if using veg tan)

I filled mine with shot then stitched.

Any tips for construction?

Also, there is a member here from Canada that started making these, he promoted them as "massage aids" I think to get around any laws, last time I was on his site he has changed it up to saying "they are for self defense" .

I also saw one site that promoted them as "Book page holders" to keep a cook book open to both pages while on the counter!

Thanks,

post-6575-096709500 1346014580_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickybobby

Any tips for construction?

If you look at mine, where the two rivets attach the handle I put in a piece of spring steel and rivet the handle, strap and body all together. The spring steel gives it that little something extra you might say it aids in a DEEP penetrating massage

Chris

• I understand you are using lead shot (#9) What keeps it from coming out at your strap slot? I am using steel shot. I have a pice of 9 oz. in the middle then I cut out the working end leaving a 1/4 in. a round the head for sewing then the rest is solid. I then put the three layes all together but only glueing the head down where you can barely see the cavity in the head. Then I stitched around the head then filled it with shot and glues all the rest together and carried on with the stitching. I also had the strap and string steel installed on the one side of the leather
  • Are you using a gusset piece for the shot to lay in? If so does the front rivet hold that together in the mid section where there is no stitching (to keep the shot in)? the strap piece and glue hold this all in place, the shot that is.
  • The spring steel piece, do the rivets go all the way through? the spring steel rivet the the body and strap on one piece of leather