Hi everyone..I have been lurking on this board for a long time, and this is my first post. If I can't figure something out, I can usually find it somewhere on the board, but I'm pretty confused right now:)

I just started doing leather work a couple of monthes ago, so please bear with me..real noobie but you guys are educating me rather quickly. I'm just finishing a belt, and I first dyed with Eco Flo Hi Lite, let it dry overnight. Then I used Eco Flo Antique Gel, wiped it, polished it fairly well, left it to sit for 12 hours or so. Then, I used Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom Wax, thinking it was a sealer..Of course it took all of the antique off, and some of the dye too. Now I have a hot mess that I don't know how to fix. I'm not sure if it's because I used two different brands of products, or I used the Balm for a sealer and that caused the problem..or it's all of the above!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks so much!

Zina

As many factors would come into play application, drying time

I conceder it all a learning experience , some work and some dont work that well

Try the same thing on practice piece, try spray bottle

Experience is the Word I give my Mistakes.

Hi Zina. I'm pretty sure what happened (just because I've already made that mistake :-) was that you didn't put a finish on over the dye before you antiqued it. I've never used balm for a sealer, and I think that was the second problem. When I antique, I dye, let it dry, put a finish on, usually TWO coats with several hours in between, then antique. My antiqued piece has sat about two weeks and I hadn't conditioned it yet, I use plan ole bag balm, and when I applied it, sure enough the antique did start rubbing off. Maybe both need a finish coat after drying really well. I don't know what that balm and wax stuff is you're using but it sounds like a conditioner, not a finish. I use resolene, 1/2 and 1/2 with water. Or I've been told by people that honestly know that mop and glow works as well. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl! Thank you for the help, I spent a couple of hours last night cruising the board, and came to the same conclusion. That's why they say it takes a lot of patience to do leatherwork:) I'm a "I want it done yesterday" kind of person, so all that waiting for coats to dry should teach me how to slow down a little. Using Bag Balm is a great tip that I hadn't heard before, I am going to give that a try for conditioning-I run a breeding farm with 40 mares, so I might just have some kicking around here somewhere!

What do you think I can do with the belt that I messed up on? It's just for me, so it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect, but is there anything I can do to fix it?

I love this board, everyone is so friendly and willing to help everyone..gives me a little faith in humanity:)

Thanks

Zina

There's a 1000 things you can do with the belt....well ok, maybe an exaggeration. I never throw away my 'mistakes,' because i have no mistakes since they become something else.

First take some saddle soap and wash it good, I mean soaking wet and get as much of everything else off you can. Or if you tooled it, don't do that, take a damp cloth and wash it with saddle soap, let it dry, they dye it a dark color. If you don't want a dark color belt, cut it in half length ways and make a halter, or 20 bracelets, or......see what i mean? I learn the most from my 'ooops, gotta make this something else.' Yeah, patience is a virtue but not one of mine either :-) Cheryl

Hi Zina:

OOOPS!! I've never used the Atom Wax stuff but the thing that worries me is the word "Wax" which has likely sealed the pores of the leather in a hap-hazard manner. If you try Cheryl's method of washing with saddle soap and trying again... well that might work... but just understand it may not. I, however ,would choose something that is a Known wax remover.... sudsy ammonia. (Fiebings has a leather dye prep that is basically Everclear, water, "proprietary detergent and ammonia). You could make it yourself if you want to take a trip to the liquor store. the formula is basically 90% water, 5% everclear, 5% sudsy Ammonia. In an open area with a washcloth "wash" the piece with the mixture and let it dry. (no need to rinse... since it is a dye prep) but it couldn't hurt to wash it with saddle soap after the ammonia wash. Now this is going to make the belt stiff...... you'll need to condition some... but do that before your Resolene, Satin Shene or Mop and Glo (50/50) finish. And if you can... spray your finish on with an airbrush or similar appliance.

From what I've read and experienced.... the finishing is the most difficult, time wasting and surprising part of the process. Dyes rub off, or turn a completely different color than you had intended, take to the leather more or Less randomly in different spots.... you name it some of us have experienced it. UGG. It makes a person want to buy pre-dyed leather! LOL

Good luck, I hope you end up with something you would be proud to wear.

First thing I would do is to ditch the eco friendly junk and get some real leather dye and Resolene as a top coat finisher. Resolene is a sealer it will stop dye bleeding. Dye the piece you want to finish let it sit overnight, next morning buff it out a little and apply the Resolene 50/50 with water; or without water; apply with an old cotton tee shirt or other material. Let dry for 3 or 4 of hours and you are finished. This will not be the first mistake you will make in this hobby don't worry about it just see if the project can be made useful.

quote name='EquusBlankets' timestamp='1341885572' post='255842']

Hi everyone..I have been lurking on this board for a long time, and this is my first post. If I can't figure something out, I can usually find it somewhere on the board, but I'm pretty confused right now:)

I just started doing leather work a couple of months ago, so please bear with me..real noobie but you guys are educating me rather quickly. I'm just finishing a belt, and I first dyed with Eco Flo Hi Lite, let it dry overnight. Then I used Eco Flo Antique Gel, wiped it, polished it fairly well, left it to sit for 12 hours or so. Then, I used Fiebings Leather Balm with Atom Wax, thinking it was a sealer..Of course it took all of the antique off, and some of the dye too. Now I have a hot mess that I don't know how to fix. I'm not sure if it's because I used two different brands of products, or I used the Balm for a sealer and that caused the problem..or it's all of the above!

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks so much!

Zina

OK Zina the only thing I can add is people keep saying dump the eco-flo. I don't agree, water based dyes are all I use and I don't have problems with them. I used to buy the eco-flo until I started ordering almost everything from SLC, now I get their institutional dyes, also water based and made by Fiebings. I like the ease in which you can mix them together or even with acrylic paints to get the color you want. I agree with the resolene though. I love the stuff.