So currently i use Barge but it is the tube type. I try to mix it best i cant by squeezing the tube back and forth and then I apply it to a popsicle stick to smear it on. The glue is usually kind of chunky and extremely stringy. I just recently started hearing about glue pots. Can anyone tell me the purpose of these and whether you usually do or do not thin Barge before you apply it to your project? Thanks!

Edited by toasty1435

It works way better thinned. I have it in a brush can and add thinner to the can.

Aaron

Seemed to me that glue pots were always better suited for rubber cement. for my contact cement, I use an old plastic coke bottle with a tiny hole in the cap. I squeeze out what and where I want, and cover the hole with a small scrap of sheeps wool. works great and lasts forever.

I use a glue pot but do not thin it..Lately I have been putting it in a squeeze bottle like the old style mustard and ketchup bottles.In some cases it is easier to handle that way..Depends on the project I would say..Good Luck.

Edited by Itch

I use a glue pot but do not thin it..Lately I have been putting it in a squeeze bottle like the old style mustard and ketchup bottles.In some cases it is easier to handle that way..Depends on the project I would say..Good Luck.

I use a Tandy glue bottle with the brush in the lid. I use thinner. I used a metal glue pot for a while but have better results with the bottle/plastic jar. The lid screws on tight and seems to keep the glue fresh better. Ken

Do you just thin it with water? (I rue the day I bought the stuff, want my eco-flo leather cement back :-) Cheryl

I stopped using barge a while ago. it's too much of a hassle and very messy. I now use weldwood contact cement. I get it at home depot, it's cheaper and works perfectly.

Messy and hassle are it's good points :-) Cheryl

No CC.... Barge cement is thinned with a barge cement thinner. :)

I just use plain old rubber cement when I need to glue. I have some e6000 but I've had much luck with it.

I thought that was too easy, LOL. So I'm ordering some eco flo leather cement the beginning of the month, I truly hate this barge, LOL. Have it in my ear before I get something glued. c

When I first started (you know, when dinosaurs roamed) I used Barge in the tube. Thick and stringy and hard to use. I asked the local cobbler what he used and was it thick and hard to use. He turned me on to Master and introduced me to thinner (Master of course). So I've been a Master fan for a long time. Their Rubber cement (Petronio #8) and thinner works great too. Your local shoe finders will almost always have these in stock. Southern is a good national supplier with a lot of warehouses.

When thinning contact cement, it is not a particularly exact science. Put some thinner in and shake up, if the viscosity is right ok, if not add more. If you add too much, it will not ruin it, it will just be easier to apply. When applying, apply and let dry, if it is shiny, you can stick together, if dull, apply another coat and wait till it drys and complete the same routine. If you follow this procedure, you will always have enough adhesive, no matter how thin you have made it.

Art

Art, I watched a video when i started making guitar straps, don't use a template. The guy used 'shoe glue.' so when I went to SLC I ran a search for shoe glue and ended up with barge. It's in a tube, and it strings, puddles, can't wipe it off it it gets some where you don't want it without it looking dull in that area. We don't HAVE any local cobblers here that I know of so I didn't have anyone to ask. We have two places listed under leather, a repair shop, and 'Leather and Lace' and I was told laughingly they probably wouldn't have any use for my products.

So the name is Masters for the glue AND thinner? I wanted to get one of those plastic bottles with the brush to use but knew it would never work for this tube of barge. If i thinned it I guess it would but I'd rather use something else, I just really don't like the stuff. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Kevin at SLC also has Master contact and thinner, he also has brush bottles for contact cement.

Art

I Have used Barge since junior high school ( know known as middle school )I never had any problems with it here is a link to bottle and brush I use also mix thinner in the bottloe

http://www.silineandjohnson.com/Dispensers/dispensers.html

PS they also have different sice brushes to use in the bottle

Edited by robertmeco

Yeah lots of people I know used barge in Jr. high, but they didn't glue anything with it :-). Seriously, thanks for the link but SLC has these. Cheryl

I did and still use the Barge tandy also sells these bottles but they are cheeper here

I get a wholesale discount at SLC plus it's cheaper to have one place ship everything. Cheryl

And no harm done Robert, I appreciate it. Cheryl

Wow, these are all good tips. Has anyone ever just thinned barge with acetone or denatured alcohol? Is that the same stuff as Barge thinner? Does anyone have a recommendation for something like a squeeze bottle for Barge? I like the idea of being able to draw a fine line with it as I do a lot of book covers and straps where I need a thin bead of glue.

A glue pot is essentially a small pot for you to transfer a bit of your glue into it. So if it dries up from opening and closing, at least the amount of glue that dried isnt as substancial as a whole tin of glue. (Its more cost effective to buy them in larger amounts of you do this craft often enough.) And the fancier ones are coated with teflon, so its easier to clean up.

I personally prefer using "pots" than squeeze bottles. Personally feel more in control with a brush than a nozzle. If there a big surface area to cover. Use a big brush. If its a small seam. Small brush. And i prefer brushes simply because its easier to get a thin coat of glue on your workpiece. So that way, your glue ain't gonna get in the way of your burnishing.

And i would believe any old thinner would suffice. Cause i've been mixing random brands of contact cements and thinner and still gotten pretty good results. Either im one lucky guy, or they all have similar solvents.

Has anyone tried none drip contact adhesive can be washed off with water when wet when dry has a good  stronghold

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ITJE8RK/?coliid=I358O63G2ZFES2&colid=OZWKDFIT6Q8J&psc=1

rowbow

I thin Barge with Barge thinner.  I use a glue bottle with a brush in it, it keeps the glue better, longer as it closes up tight.  You can shake it to mix it and they are inexpensive.  Panhandle leather carries or did carry them.