Sign in to follow this  
Steve Lowe

Conceal Carry Holster For A Colt .38 Sp

Okay guys. What do you think? He is a long-distant client so i couldn't get a hold of his gun nor did I find a Blue Gun for it so I used my 32 long as the model. I made the holster juuuuuuuust a bit larger to accomodate his .38 cylinder. I am still waiting to hear from him on the fit of his gun.

post-32054-074772300 1343071230_thumb.jp post-32054-054489600 1343071309_thumb.jp

post-32054-054489600 1343071309_thumb.jp post-32054-074772300 1343071230_thumb.jp

All comments are welcome.

post-32054-098412500 1343071329_thumb.jp

I think it would look a lot better if it was antiqued. Also, due to the lack of any discernible burnishing in your beveling, it appears you may have tooled this while it was still too wet. Overall fit looks to be about right; how does it attach?

Good eye Twin Oaks. I learned quite a bit from this project.

My beveling was done with a modeling spoon and not a stamp. I have one ready to order from Tandy...

When I soaked the holster to mold the gun, I saw that my beveling all came back up to the level of the reset of the leather and I tried to fix it while the gun was in the holster. Still too wet, I waited and waited and so on... for a few hours. hoping I could fix it.

It was too late to start over but i will take the lessons I learned and apply them to the next project.

ORDER THE CORRECT TOOLS FOR THE JOB..... was my lesson...

what do you mean by "antiqued"?

The fit was too loose for my gun, but his is a bit larger so I am hoping it will fit his Colt sung.

The belt slide in between the two pieces of leather, out the back, in the loop on the other side and then out from in between the two pieces of leather. It makes for a cleaner look than having the loop slots cut through both pieces of leather.

Antiquing is a process that puts additional shading in the beveling and other impressions. There is an antique gel from Tandy (Eco-product), but I have had the best results with traditional Antique Paste (Fiebing's).

It gets worked into all the nooks and crannies....tell ya what, that whole 'picture is worth a thousand words' thing comes to mind. I wonder how much typing I can save with this video....

It's the easy way to get the leather to look like it's been used, because e v e n t u a l l y , dirt/grime would get down in all the nooks and crannies anyway....so you're just adding all the 'color' it'll eventually get....as part of the finishing process, because old leather looks better than new leather (most of the time).

nice video. Great for us beginners. Thanks

Antiquing is a process that puts additional shading in the beveling and other impressions. .......

Fantastic video. Thanks for the tip. I will remember this for my next project where I do some extensive tooling. it really makes it stand out.