TomSwede

Archer bracer pattern

This is the pattern I use to make my archers bracers. The only fun part with this bracer is to view the final result. It is stringed together at the side of the arm. It is made as a right or left arm piece. I use tracing film to trace cutting pattern over from this sketch so remember to flip the film upsidedown if you want to make a right arm piece. THIS IS A LEFT ARM PATTERN!!!

Sizing: The original to this one is to fit an arm wich is about 19cm (7,4") diameter and you can see the mark for Cris is 17,5cm (6,8") so for that bracer I just cut the marked edge off from the original to fit his arm and make sure to follow the hole lines to mark out the stringing holes accordingly.

If one want's to make it smaller in diameter than Cris version it'd be wise to scale it down a bit (thus sacrificing height) Since the curled line on the inside arm may not align properly to the wrist contour.

Tooling designs: I just think it's a nightmare to setup this one with the artwork since I don't draw very well thus depending on "borrowing" art. Because of the height of this one the artwork I find will most often go around to the inside of the arm and most art work is based upon centered designs so it's hard to find designs that'll display nicely once it's formed to the arm. So i always end up spending hours with just finding the right tooling artwork.

Wetforming: I just think this one deserves to have that performed before shipped off to customer since it's important to make the top and bottom edges curled up. The bottom edge will not be very comfortable if not curled up and top is just to complement bottom curl.

I just string it wet (cased, cool to touch and put eyelets in before stringing) onto myself and sorta pinch the edges between my thumb and index finger and curl it up. WATCH OUT FOR DIGGING YOUR NAILS INTO IT! Once I'm satisfied with the look and feel of the edge I just slide a finger in between the leather and my skin and pull it under the edge every now and then to prevent it from falling back during the drying process. I keep it on my arm for about 2-3 hours.

This design with the curled edge benifit a whole lot from having a tooled border IMO.

ENJOY

Archerbracer_II_kopiera.jpg

post-5146-1217152165_thumb.jpg

A few pics.

Tv_skenor025.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

pog8.jpg

pog13.jpg

post-5146-1217152442_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217152838_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217152847_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217152857_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217153983_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217154017_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

Nicely done Tom!

Good looking finished product! Thanks for sharing!

hey tom...good stuff man!!...ya answered one of my questions i was gonna ask ya after seein the one ya did for pog...heres a question i have...when your looking at the pattern...on the bottom left of the pic...whats the reason/purpose for that indented area??

darryl

Thank you guys!

The bottom line follows the contour of the arm and the bracer against the hand and that part is extended to allow you to string it tigether there. One could place the stringing holes upwards and cut down that part but my guess is the whole bracer would just ending up higher on your arm wich spoils the general idea of this one to really marry and reinforce your wrist yet provide some movement there. This bracer works just as good for the hand holding the bow aswell as the releaser hand.

Tom

Thank you Trastu! Hope it'll come to use!

Tom

Awesome! I really like the shaping and the coloring. The gold on that one really looks good.

ArtS

Looking great buddy!!

Keep uploading the pictures!!

cal

Thank you ArtS and Calanneh!

Like I said in my first post, this one's worth it in the end and if I don't have to wast ours on coming up with the design it's quite as simple and straightforward as normal bracer but I'm always nervous that it won't fit properly to customers arm but no complaints so far.

I'm having a slow period with just lots of stuff to do but after my semester I'm gonna pick up pace again.

Thank you for the encouraging words!

Tom

It's a very nice pattern that I might poach. Always wondered how I would set-up an archery bracher that had the string aligned with the pinky finger.

Your Thor hammer bracer looks great. I think the colors look great together and the carving is n_i_c_e. I would be awefully proud to own that one.

Thank you Meleck!

Go ahead and use the pattern or modify to your needs.

I be thrilled to see others interpretations of it wich is one reason I put it up here.

Welcome to Leatherworker! This a great place were the spirit is high!

Tom

Thanx for sharing, Tom! Could you show a pic showing the side laced up?

great work tom, thanks

Very nice work Tom. Dang. Another pattern I just have to try.

Thanx for sharing, Tom! Could you show a pic showing the side laced up?

Oh right, I put a post it note this time over my desktop to remember. I just have my *ss full so I keep forgetting it.

thank you Roo and Twinoaks, yeah I have a huge "must do it sometime list" too, lol.

Great work. I make a quite a bit of cowboy gear and have put together cowboy working cuffs which look like a similar project.

Cheers.

C79

Thankyou Tom for the pattern and explanation, my partner saw that raw picture when i was looking at your blog and decided that I would be making him one. I really loved that Raw look on your latest bracer, but it's definately come up really well with the gold and bronze on the black.

Thanks again

Cheers,

Clair

Thank you C79 and Clair!

Are the used for any special reason in the cowboy world (like mine is really for archers) or just decorative? (I make mine mainly for good looks, 1 archer so far).

I agree with you Clair but being a heavy metal man myself I just have to live with making some black. Metallics are very good to accent the tooling with since they apply on top of the black and is not streaky either. I really liked them better naked. Glad to hear people find their way into my blog.

Tom

I was finally able to take a pic of how this one's stringed together at the outer side of the arm. Left arm in this case. This is the smaller female version of the previous one and that's why there's such a huge gap in the stringing area. It looks fine this way too but we've talked about the contours of this bracer to marry the joint against the hand and that's where this one fails to be put to use on my arm. A regular shaped bracer doesn't really need (for function) to be all away around the arm with just a small gap in the stringing area. That's just my personal pref and I have had customers requesting a huge gap since they love look of the crossed stringing.

tom

IMG_7898_01.jpg

sol2.jpg

sol3.jpg

post-5146-1217621251_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217621276_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1217621282_thumb.jpg

Thanx for the pictures, Tom!

I thought it would be like that, but I wasn't sure. They do look good, that's for sure.

very nice work

I was finally able to take a pic of how this one's stringed together at the outer side of the arm. Left arm in this case. This is the smaller female version of the previous one and that's why there's such a huge gap in the stringing area. It looks fine this way too but we've talked about the contours of this bracer to marry the joint against the hand and that's where this one fails to be put to use on my arm. A regular shaped bracer doesn't really need (for function) to be all away around the arm with just a small gap in the stringing area. That's just my personal pref and I have had customers requesting a huge gap since they love look of the crossed stringing.

tom

Tom,

I love the work!

What type of leather are you using and what weight?

Ever considered lining the inside?

Fred

I too am curious about what leather and gauge was used!

Tom,

I love the work!

What type of leather are you using and what weight?

Ever considered lining the inside?

Fred

Thanks all for the kind words!!!!

I use veg.tan leather and and 2,5-3mm thickness, that is about 1/10"-1/8 in thickness in inches but what weight???

PLZ help me out someone who's more familiar with the subject of American standars and units. In Sweden we use metrics only with the exeption of measuring leather in sq.ft.

I have considered lining them but customers doesn't seem to care and I seldom do stuff that is not to be sold. I did line the small braided bracer I did for myself and I really love it. So smooth and nice on the inside. I used the thinnest available cowhide for that.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede