SWFLholsters

Servo Motor Mod: Diy Easier Speed Control

Hello. We too have experimented with the motors. We have been in contact with the factory and are waiting to hear from them. They have all the info that they will need to correct this problem. Just like others that have posted pictures and videos, we have done the same with our factory. We will keep you updated when we have more info. Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve!

I was going to forward this thread to you, but looks like you've already read it.

I'm really looking forward to getting my new Cobra Class 4! Do you have anything that you're doing to the new machines when you set them up or is this mod something I'll have to do when I get it? If the factory comes up with a fix, will it be something that will be shipped out to existing customers to install?

I'm going to look at doing the same thing with my Highlead. The servo on my Highlead has a know for speed adjustment and is not a digital read out. I'm wondering if it has the same kind of speed control on it? I didn't find this post till late last night, and I'm at the fire station today, so it'll be tomorrow before I can check my motor. I think it's a SewQuiet 4000, but not sure.

Edited by Bobby hdflame

cf-400c. That's the motor on my Cowboy 4500. does this improve it's performance? HAS anybody tried?

Didn't even know I had a control problem, maybe I don't. Always looking for improvement though.

BTW. Have two, (soon to be three, 111-w155) so it might matter on my 31-15.

Kevin

cf-400c. That's the motor on my Cowboy 4500. does this improve it's performance? HAS anybody tried?

Didn't even know I had a control problem, maybe I don't. Always looking for improvement though.

Kevin

Kevin, if your motor looks like the one in the link below then I am almost certain that this mod won't work. Any motor that has a knob for speed adjustment most likely does not use an optical speed control and therefor this mod would be useless. You could research more on your motor to be sure.

http://image.made-in...or-CF-400C-.jpg

On the other hand if you don't have a control problem you most likely don't need to worry about modifying anything.

You know the old saying... If it works don't ... with it. :smashcomp:

Cheers!

I had the motor set at 40 when I started my current batch of ten orders. My post-it layering is only allowing a max of about 22 - still way too fast for this type of work. But, towards the end I put the servo at 15 after I noticed it was still set at 40 (maxing at 22 because of the post-it setup I have right now).. Without the mod, there is no way I could leave the machine set at 22. About 7 was all I could risk because of the lack of control.

Eric,

I watched your video again and can't believe how quiet such a BIG machine is. I'm really looking forward to getting my Cobra. It's quieter than my Highlead!

Just curious, what size thread are you using on the holster and what colors have you been able to find in the bigger thread sizes? I currently use mostly #138 and a little bit of #92. #207 is the biggest size my current machine can use but it doesn't sew real good with it, although I was told to try 207 on top and 138 in the bobbin.

How many bobbins did you get with your Cobra?

1344276556[/url]' post='259501']

BTW. Have two, (soon to be three, 111-w155) so it might matter on my 31-15.

Kevin

Most motors with a knob for speed control have a potentiometer under the knob. That is a wire wound resistor with a metal wiper that rubs against the resistor wire, giving you a variable resistor. The speed control arm adjusts another potentiometer. All analog electronics, no digital stuff. No optical sensors. Usually good heavy duty stuff.

CTG

It really is pretty quiet. I've been using 277 top and bottom, and have bought white, natural, brown and black and most recently Henna from Weaver. I decided to stop offering White because by the time I form, oil and seal, the white thread gets a tad muddy looking and is VERY hard to differentiate between white and natural. So, now I just offer natural. Weaver's 277 natural (It's not really called Natural if memory serves) is a tad darker than what I was buying from Tippmann - it actually has more of a tan color to it. I think my machine came with 3, maybe 4 bobbins. Can't remember off-hand. Thread colors are pretty limited once you start getting up that thick. Some people dye their own thread. I'm not ready to go down that road just yet....

It really is pretty quiet. I've been using 277 top and bottom, and have bought white, natural, brown and black and most recently Henna from Weaver. I decided to stop offering White because by the time I form, oil and seal, the white thread gets a tad muddy looking and is VERY hard to differentiate between white and natural. So, now I just offer natural. Weaver's 277 natural (It's not really called Natural if memory serves) is a tad darker than what I was buying from Tippmann - it actually has more of a tan color to it. I think my machine came with 3, maybe 4 bobbins. Can't remember off-hand. Thread colors are pretty limited once you start getting up that thick. Some people dye their own thread. I'm not ready to go down that road just yet....

Eric,

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Weaver.

At first: Thanks for still having this great video up on YouTube! Very well done!

I just got my first servo. A Enduro Pro SM645-2P with Positioner.

Regarding this modification, I want ti know whether anybody has done this with a motor with needle positioner? This motor does have tow light paths and it is not possible to offset the light breaker how it is shown in the video.

Cheers

Martin

Regarding this modification, I want ti know whether anybody has done this with a motor with needle positioner? This motor does have tow light paths and it is not possible to offset the light breaker how it is shown in the video.

Yes you can modify a needle positioner servo, it is not as easy to do as a standard servor, but not too difficult. Check out the following link for instructions.

http://www.swflholst...-eps-speed-mod/

Gook Luck! :)

Great! Thanks for that Link. I have been on this blog, but I did not saw this. I will try this next weekend, if my tow kids give me some free time. How do you like that 645P1 Enduro motor? are you happy with it?

Cheers

Martin

I shot a little video last night of me sewing one of my pancake holsters using the post-it-note mod shown in my previous post above. What you can't see in this video is that I now have FULL use of the entire range of motion on my foot pedal to control the speed. Granted, with this particular color of paper an the amount of layers I'm using, I can't make full range of the maximum speed of the machine. But, 22-23 (out of 40) is still pretty fast for this type of work - much faster than I need to be using. Honestly, if I was able to utilize the entire speed range from 1-40, the pedal would be twice as sensitive as it is now (with the post-it-note mod installed). So, even though I can't use the full range of speed, the pedal is effectively twice as controllable since it's half as sensitive as it "should" be (to utilize the entire speed range of 1-40 over the same foot pedal range of motion).

Oh my goodness, that's almost like cheating! No wonder my stuff looks awful. What kind of machine is that and what kind of thread was in that video? Beautiful.

Oh my goodness, that's almost like cheating! No wonder my stuff looks awful. What kind of machine is that and what kind of thread was in that video? Beautiful.

Thanks! It's a Cobra Class 4 from http://www.leathermachineco.com/. The thread is 277 Bonded Nylon.

it in responce to post #27

I have almost identical model to the one SWFLholsters have linked in post #28 http://image.made-in...or-CF-400C-.jpg and it has an optical sensor.

Optical slot sensor located inside of the enclosure and control lever interacts with it directly.

In my case this servo works very smooth and has plenty of torque even at 1 stitch per second and i did not need to make any adjustments.

I do not think I can get it to work any better.

good info thanks

Just an FYI to this thread.

I modified a Consew CS-1000 and it works great. Just a couple of notes. This motor (new last month or 2), has a VERY bright LED. A piece of paper did NOT work. I had to use a heavy piece of plastic (cut up old gift card). I made a modified sloped pieced and taped it under the original arm.

One issue I noticed is that with the original heavy paper I used, it started sagging and changed the amount of light allowed through. The plastic will stop that, but I don't trust the tape for a permanent solution.

I have also bought a couple of spare arms from SE Sewing and am going to modify one to make a shallower slope and will report on how it works.