George B

Turned Down An Order

All of my coustom work is $20 an hour to be payed 50% up front. If they pay for 3 hours they get 3 hours and I stop untill more time is payed. I have also worked off of a deposit secured with a Credit card and a contract.

A friend of mine said I need to make up a form and charge 50% non refundable up front for a cutting fee. I'm going to do that. I am just not good enough yet at collecting money from people. That way at least I won't be out any money, like I am on two orders I took on. I think maybe even I am finally fed up and that takes a lot. Cheryl

Well, it's not that hard to be strict about money. I have 2 orders waiting in the wings right now with artwork all approved (both from friends). One of them finally paid me the required 50% down payment yesterday, so last night I cut out his guitar strap. I make it very clear up front, and several times once the artwork is finalized, that I will NOT cut the leather in any way until I have a down payment (unless it's a "personalized" item which will require 100% of the estimated amount). Using that method, I never waste an order and I make sure that all my customers are serious about what they want. But, I'm not the kind of guy that cuts favors at all, so that's probably why I don't have a problem doing that to even my closest friends.

Allen I wish I could be that strict. I should have waited to make the cuts but didn't ever think I wouldn't get the money. So from now on it's 50% down to cut. That way I won't be out anything....but all my stuff is personalized, well no it's not, it's custom, so I don't mind going with 50% because it's just another item I'll have finished for Etsy. But I am working on one that is personalized, and that one I'm doing as a gift so I don't mind.

Well, to me "personalized" means the persons name or something else that would be hard to sell to another person. Take the previously mentioned guitar strap that I just got paid for. Technically it's personalized because it's a jolly roger wearing a hat with the customers family crest on it. But, the family crest is so simple and cool that I could easily sell it to someone else. Now, if it had his name or even his nickname then it would be payment in full up front. In the end the goal is to not have any stock on hand that isn't paid for. If I can't easily sell it somewhere else when they fail to pay me the remainder, then they'll definitely be paying me in full before the work starts.

That's a good idea Allen. I can sell the ones I didn't get full payment for because they weren't personalized. With initials etc. would be hard to do that. Need to make my form so it includes that. And get better at just saying no if they don't want to pay up front.

Even though I'm just starting out in leatherwork I can relate to this type of client in my past fabrication experiences.

The best way, I have found, is to sit down with the client. Have them either A) have a rough sketch of what they want, or B ) Have a picture of a similar project that you can at least draw on.

Sit down with him for 15 minutes. Both of you brainstorm, and come up with ideas for the project. Finally, if you can't come up with something at the end of the 15 minutes, then kindly ask him to let you know when he has EXACTLY what he wants, and you would be glad to do it. That will save your 'word of mouth' reputation should he choose to talk about the experience with friends. When all is said and done, word of mouth is the best advertising tool. If you tick one guy off he might tell 50 others, in his encounters, that you 'Didn't want to deal with him' even if you feel that you went out of your way to help him.

Often times clients come to us, in our various fields, to help them solve the proverbial question of "What do I want?" He may need some convincing on what type of holster to build if he is that shifty.

Finally, I would do as you have done and ask for full payment, and explain to him that this is for supplies and your time. Explain that you aren't in a position to give a refund after payment due to your time and money being the chargeable goods. ;)

Hope I helped in bringing an outside opinion in on the topic.

Edited by RoosterShooter

I had a interesting one this week. I had my first seat returned to me.....it was too fancy! I sent pictures all during the construction, and he loved the finished product when he saw the pics. I would have been real up set but within a day I'd traded the old seat for a Ruger .357 revolver. I'm building him another "less fancy" seat.

I've attached a pic of the seat that he returned.

Customers come in all shapes, sizes and temperaments. This one was in law enforcement and they are usually the best. I decided to roll with the punch on this one.

Dave

post-5652-0-08474900-1350173153_thumb.jp

Edited by David

My take on the situation is you did the right thing.

Dave

Edited by David

I had a interesting one this week. I had my first seat returned to me.....it was too fancy! I sent pictures all during the construction, and he loved the finished product when he saw the pics. I would have been real up set but within a day I'd traded the old seat for a Ruger .357 revolver. I'm building him another "less fancy" seat.

I've attached a pic of the seat that he returned.

Customers come in all shapes, sizes and temperaments. This one was in law enforcement and they are usually the best. I decided to roll with the punch on this one.

Dave

TOO FANCY!?! He apparently doesn't like lace?? (Customers come in all shapes, sizes and temperaments.) This is for sure. I think it's perfect. At least you can resell it since it's not personalized.

I've found that some people think lace is fancy for some reason. Maybe the applique was just too much for him once he got it mounted up? Either way, that's an easy one to re-purpose but it still sucks that it happened. I always dread the day I get an email after the item arrives with the customer. They always love the pictures, but I'm afraid one of them might find some problem with it when they have it in their hands. You just proved that the day can come to even the best of us :(