dpixel8

Alright, First Project. Just Need A Little Guidance...

So I've decided to do this as my first project. I'm sure I'll get some flac for it, but I like to jump right in. The coasters aren't going to be a big deal at all. It's the holder that, I know I CAN do it, I just want to make sure I'm doing things in the right order. Specifically which order of dying, cutting, and using the oil, gum trag, resolene, etc. I don't know the order of when to do those and specifically what TO do (have watched a few videos but....yeah).

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/saddle-stitch-leather-coasters/?bnrid=3318529&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Tabletop&cm_pla=Glassware_Bar&cm_ite=Saddle_Leather_Drink_Coasters_Set_of_6&adtype=pla

So anyway, I know what I probably have to do for the holder is this: make a template for the size. Cut out the shape. Dye. Groove. Wheel. Punch. Then soak it so it can be formed and molded to the shape. Then stitched. Then......? That's where I'm getting hung up, is when to put on what certain finishes and using all of these other oils and all of that jazz.

And again, I know that most will probably say this is over my head for my first project, but I just want to give it a go. Plus then when I royally mess it up, it'll make me feel that much better after the 3rd or 4th try and it turns out great.

I may be so very wrong but for better or worse here goes . I believe stitching is the very last . When you put the needle down its done period nothing else . First is the colour or stain .Next is what ever you choose to seal the stain and keep it from coming off when used . Next is your top coat a second sealer and your final gloss maker ,the wax or resolene . Good Luck

So I've decided to do this as my first project. I'm sure I'll get some flac for it, but I like to jump right in. The coasters aren't going to be a big deal at all. It's the holder that, I know I CAN do it, I just want to make sure I'm doing things in the right order. Specifically which order of dying, cutting, and using the oil, gum trag, resolene, etc. I don't know the order of when to do those and specifically what TO do (have watched a few videos but....yeah).

http://www.potteryba...of_6&adtype=pla

So anyway, I know what I probably have to do for the holder is this: make a template for the size. Cut out the shape. Dye. Groove. Wheel. Punch. Then soak it so it can be formed and molded to the shape. Then stitched. Then......? That's where I'm getting hung up, is when to put on what certain finishes and using all of these other oils and all of that jazz.

And again, I know that most will probably say this is over my head for my first project, but I just want to give it a go. Plus then when I royally mess it up, it'll make me feel that much better after the 3rd or 4th try and it turns out great.

Edited by bluesman1951

I may be so very wrong but for better or worse here goes . I believe stitching is the very last . When you put the needle down its done period nothing else . First is the colour or stain .Next is what ever you choose to seal the stain and keep it from coming off when used . Next is your top coat a second sealer and your final gloss maker ,the wax or resolene . Good Luck

which of what i listed is the seal? and resolene is a wax then? I appreciate it but I think I want to still stitch before the sealer so I can have that covered as well. From what I've seen, that's more of when the stitching goes, near the beginning. Again though: I also could be wrong.

I would do it......cut, dye and don't forget to burnish the edges and dye them, mold, stitch and then put resolene on as a finish. No it's not a wax, it's a liquid, and seems to work best, not look 'plastic' mixed 50/50 with water. And nothing is too hard for a first project if it's what you want to do. If you make a mistake, try and turn that piece into something else, learn from it and redo the original holder. Be sure and let us see when you're done. Cheryl

I would do it......cut, dye and don't forget to burnish the edges and dye them, mold, stitch and then put resolene on as a finish. No it's not a wax, it's a liquid, and seems to work best, not look 'plastic' mixed 50/50 with water. And nothing is too hard for a first project if it's what you want to do. If you make a mistake, try and turn that piece into something else, learn from it and redo the original holder. Be sure and let us see when you're done. Cheryl

Awesome. Appreciate it. And I will absolutely take pictures and let everyone who has been such a great help, know how I have done.