SandSquid

In Search Of A T/c Contender Pattern

As the title states, I'm looking for a pattern to make a holster for my T/C Contender.Did many, many searches and found oodles of pictures byt no cutting patterns.

Hell, I even called Will Ghormley to see if he had anything close... No joy.

In all my searches I've seem the Bianchi #101 Holster as about perfect for my needs, but I'd hate to buy one just to cut it open to use as a pattern...

any pointers to patterns, or advice?

I did one early in my holster making for one with a scope, went through a lot of poster board. I'll check to see if I still have the pattern. Getting the scope into the mix was the hard part for me. The customer liked it but I would have done it differently now that I have more experience.

post-18937-079798900 1344370845_thumb.jp

I did one early in my holster making for one with a scope, went through a lot of poster board. .

NICE!

I especially like the retention strap placement, very clean.

Hi, I'll second dirtclod and Lokirk's recommendation.  Page 2 has the directions for making a pattern.  Yes you will have to do things differently with a scope on there, but probably not as much as you think.  If you want a tooled leather scope for your Contender, I'd consider making one out of plain leather, get the holster fitted etc, and finished in every way.  Then cut the thread and use THAT for a pattern.  Heck of a lot of work though.

Hope that helps.

I built this prototype holster for my contender a few years ago. it needs to be redeveloped with a little thinner leather on the back think it is about 12 and could be 9 oz. the belt could be a little thicker, however the wider belt carries the holster well up on my hip. i closed the end as  the long barrel could snag snow when i am on stand deer hunting.

contender.jpg

sorry, thought i had it sized down far enough

John Lamberton at Desert Gun Leather in Phoenix AZ designed this for a customer.

The customer runs a scope and the barrel was 12" or 14" (I don't remember exactly) 

It would be awkward if mounted static like a "drop loop" Holster because of length, if it didn't have a leg tie it would flop around. If you used a leg tie it would interfere with walking comfortably. 

So John came up with this. The belt loop and "drop" are static on the belt to carry the weight and the "Holster" has a articulating joint to allow the Holster to move with the leg. The "hinge" is a is a nut & bolt (lock washer) and good size leather washers to allow movement (sorry, no photo of that.)

The "front" of the Holster was wet molded to fit over the gun first, and allowed to dry. Then sewn to the back piece.

Depending on how long your barrel is this might be a consideration of your build.

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4860 2.jpeg

IMG_4848.jpeg

IMG_4856.jpeg

TC Holster.jpeg

IMG_4852.jpeg

Hey, Desert gun, this is a well done set. the gun itself is harder to design for because it is so flat. i shouldered mine on the front of the forearm, the end of the barrel and the trigger guard. Desert gun shouldered his on the scope, forearm and trigger guard. both work fine but i like the molded look better and the bold thread it adds to  a better look. I also like the way desert gun thinned the strap under the scope but left the rest wider. if i put my 30 30 barrel on my contender i would need some kind of articulated holster as well as i am short so it would hang down further than this one.

Edited by cardinal leather
left out a comma

That gun looks to me as something that does nothing well a poor handgun and a poor rifle whats the point of it, Compromise seldom if ever works well

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

That gun looks to me as something that does nothing well a poor handgun and a poor rifle whats the point of it, Compromise seldom if ever works well

..... sounds like the sage advice of somebody that doesn't know much about them. Too bad. For those of us that have some experience with them, they are a heck of a lot of fun and do have their place.

@chrisash it was never meant to be a compromise.  It was designed from the ground up to do what it does.  Having shot my share of deer, antelope and 1 elk with one they lack nothing.  In skilled hands that pistol can put rifle shooters to shame in terms of accuracy.

Todd