Shelly

Going Blind!

Shelly,

Just from my experience, I'd go with the Optivisor. I know their optics is probably the biggest reason. I found them at a couple places around $30 on-line. The quasar light attachment for $25, and the loupe attachment for $7. That light looks a lot handier than the one I tried out.

Shelly,

Just from my experience, I'd go with the Optivisor. I know their optics is probably the biggest reason. I found them at a couple places around $30 on-line. The quasar light attachment for $25, and the loupe attachment for $7. That light looks a lot handier than the one I tried out.

Bruce,

That's the way I was leaning...so I ordered it this morning, from Micro-Mark, because they include an extra lens with it - also the lighting attachment, and the loupe - with the cost for shipping, the total came to $78.90. (In case anyone else reading about this is interested in exact numbers)

I think it sucks - it sneaks up on you when you're sleeping...I didn't think I would have to have glasses either, and get to be one of those lucky ones that you see that go their entire lives, into their 90's, that have sharp vision and a sharp mind...unfortunately, I've suddenly realized that my mind seems to have taken a vacation somewhere, and didn't invite me along!! Hope it gets back soon....

I can totally relate! I got my first pair of glasses 3 months before my 40th birthday. I would have preferred chocolates instead of glasses, actually, but what can ya do. I have a problem called Cogans Dystrophy, where my corneas have lines and dots (much like a road map) covering them and gradually getting worse with time. I can see, but have the blurries. I have an optivisor, the magnifier lamp and also a pair of magnifiers that clip on my regular glasses (pretty handy).

Funny about the mind going away at times. Mine travels off quite often and doesn't even bother to let me know if it even had a good time. :wacko:

I decided to do a little research on the web to find the answer to this question, and found 3 articles dated Sept. 2003 on the subject, which described the technology as a polymer gel that is injected into the space from where the natural lens is removed. They describe it as a quick, painless, and unintrusive operation, when it finally does become commercially available. When will that be? All three articles said it would be anywhere from 3 to 10 years from then, and it's now been 5 so far. I found the site of a clinic in Australia that said they expected the product to become available sometime this year. So... could be very soon! I'm due for a trip to the optometrist soon. When I go, I'll ask her then how things are coming along with that.

Kate

I'm very much interested in what Kate mentioned about being able to 'replace' our old hard lenses with the 'softer' ones of our youth...wonder how long that will be??

I'm with Kat.

A year or so ago I noticed that I was getting a little blurry with the really close up stuff.

I picked up the local equivalent of a magnavisor (with little lights attached at the side) for ten bucks.

Problem solved.

I flip the lens down when I need it and up when I don't.

Those are the facts of life!

C79

Edited by custom79